Hybrid CDMA/GSM iPhone 5

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the current chip in the verizon iphone 4 a hybrid? If so it would make sense and since supposedly having lte they may just need to include the different lte frequencies.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Isn't the current chip in the verizon iphone 4 a hybrid? If so it would make sense and since supposedly having lte they may just need to include the different lte frequencies.

No. Currently there are separate versions for CDMA (VZW) and GSM (ATT).

But if they can do it, all iPhone(next) will have the same software level/version and the VZW whiners will finally have to stop complaining about not being treated the same as the GSM version users.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
No. Currently there are separate versions for CDMA (VZW) and GSM (ATT).

But if they can do it, all iPhone(next) will have the same software level/version and the VZW whiners will finally have to stop complaining about not being treated the same as the GSM version users.

I never said there wasn't seperate versions. What I was saying was that the verizon version had both gsm and cdma Verizon iPhone 4's Dual Mode GSM / CDMA Chip Suggests iPhone 5 Maybe a World Phone | Redmond Pie

dublex

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
If there was a hybrid version, I think Apple would save a lot of money in terms of manufacturing only one type of device, and not two; and the consumer would be happy since there will only be model which allows everyone to have the same update at the same time.

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Any truth to the rumor that there will a hybrid cdma/gsm verizon iphone 4s?

I'll save you some trouble... Apple hasn't even acknowledged that there will be an iPhone 5 so until it's announced by Steve Jobs everything about the iPhone 5 is a rumor and no one here will know if there's any truth to them.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I'll save you some trouble... Apple hasn't even acknowledged that there will be an iPhone 5 so until it's announced by Steve Jobs everything about the iPhone 5 is a rumor and no one here will know if there's any truth to them.

Obviously everything is a rumor. This gives people something to do until an official announcement is made.

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Well I think there will be a hybrid gsm cdma because it would definitely save manufacturing costs. And the only reason they didn't have a hybrid with the iphone 4 is obviously because when the iphone 4 first came out it wasn't on verizon yet.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Well I think there will be a hybrid gsm cdma because it would definitely save manufacturing costs. And the only reason they didn't have a hybrid with the iphone 4 is obviously because when the iphone 4 first came out it wasn't on verizon yet.

Agree I think if they would have came out at the same time they would have had a hybrid version. They want to make as much money they can and with making 1 version would save lots of manufacturing costs.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
It would be nice to have a global iPhone instead of a crippled Verizon/Sprint versions, what good is a phone if you can't use it overseas. Given Apple's buying power they should be able to get the radio chip with CDMA/GSM in the Verizon/Sprint models and save enough cost that it doesn't cut into their profits. Of course there are still other parts of the world using CDMA as well so who knows. It would be beneficial though.

Reactions: DannyMichel

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
It would be nice to have a global iPhone instead of a crippled Verizon/Sprint versions, what good is a phone if you can't use it overseas. Given Apple's buying power they should be able to get the radio chip with CDMA/GSM in the Verizon/Sprint models and save enough cost that it doesn't cut into their profits. Of course there are still other parts of the world using CDMA as well so who knows. It would be beneficial though.

The verizon version has a gsm chip in it it is just not activated!

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
crippled is exactly the word i would use

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Because most people don't go overseas with an iphone. I wouldn't call that crippled.

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Then how is it crippled? Because it can't do voice and data at the same time? Other than that it is the same as the at&t version.

Ok, i'll say it again...(note: im on Verizon)
Other than the obvios talk and surf thing-
You cannot merge a call unless you are the original caller
Even when a call is merged, you cannot hang up on just one of the callers
3G is slower on Verizon
Verizon iPhone internet won't get any faster with any newer iPhone any time soon because 4G LTE won't be available on an iphone for the next couple of years at least. AT&T however, will not only still be faster than Verizon's 3G, but it will get even faster with 3G HSPA+

CRIPPLED

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh