Anyone Really Planning on Using Newsstand?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I ask because I'm just curious why it has to be present on the home screen even for people who are not currently using it. Maybe they will change this for the release when there actually are publications that use it, and for now they just want to show what it's like... At least that's what I'm hoping.

I don't buy any iOS publications other than the occasional funny book (Bossypants FTW!), so having Newsstand occupy that space really bothers me... I have my home screen set up so I have 2 rows of my 8 most used default apps, then 4 folders with everything else (Utilities, Lifestyle, Social, Utilities).

For some reason I really like having an empty row at the bottom... I just think it looks better. All the new crap Apple is adding is making it really difficult to keep my organisation going... I am definitely going to be jailbreaking iOS 5 to hide all of Apple's crApps that I don't use.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I have no intention of using it. Right now I just have it relegated to the last page where apps go to die.

I, also, keep the bottom row of each page empty. I find I'm less likely to accidentally open an app when trying to swipe between pages when I have that empty space.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I have no intention of using it. Right now I just have it relegated to the last page where apps go to die.

I, also, keep the bottom row of each page empty. I find I'm less likely to accidentally open an app when trying to swipe between pages when I have that empty space.

Ditto. I hope that Apple will pop theirs heads out their arse and allow it to be put in a folder. I also keep the bottom row empty, but that's because I can't stand the screen being too cluttered.

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I plan to see what all is available for it. To me, it sounds like a great idea! I've been holding off subscribing to anything until iOS 5 comes out, and I have my ipad 2 - one week til I can buy it!!!

ptb127

Dec 14, 2008
Visit site
I can honestly say that I plan on using it too and I, too, have held out subscribing to anything too. It helps keep down on the clutter of having all the magazines laying around here. Honestly, after the notifications, is the 2nd thing I am really looking forward too.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I won't use it and I would like it to die die DIEEE!!!
I hate how you can't put it in a folder, so instead of going into my junk folder where crAPPS go to die, it just sits on my screen and silently mocks me...

jproubique

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
just like the damn stocks app i want it gone why cant they allow me to at least hide it! i know if i can hide it with poof but come on apple...

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I highly doubt Apple will allow it to be placed in a folder or removed - too much money to be made.

While I can understand why they'd put it on the iPad, I'm not sure why it's on the iPhone. Are there really any magazines for sale that are optimized for iPhones?

dublex

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not using it. Simple as that. I need to find a way to delete it though or put it in a folder (sub-folder idea!).

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I love it as a concept, it's a great idea! And frankly I think it's how they should be handling iBooks. But I think it should only appear if you are actually subscribed to one of these publications.

I understand though why it can't be put into a folder. It doesn't make sense UI-wise.

And @Alli, that's the reason I originally cleared up my bottom row, but now I only have one page... Don't know why I still like the bottom row empty. haha

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, im definitely going to like it more on my iPad vs. iPhone. We'll see if I move it to the back though... I didn't think I would use iBooks/kindle on my phone, but I have...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Why is everyone saying "it's a cool app, but not for me"? So far, it's nothing. It's not a cool app. It's an icon. You open it and see a larger version of the icon, a non-functional button and a app-store "we'll be right back"-type note saying that (someday) the link will be functional.

Not sure how that's a "cool app" or what it will eventually turn out to be. But to answer the OP question, maybe. It depends on what it ends up being. It's WAY to early to tell.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Why is everyone saying "it's a cool app, but not for me"? So far, it's nothing. It's not a cool app. It's an icon. You open it and see a larger version of the icon, a non-functional button and a app-store "we'll be right back"-type note saying that (someday) the link will be functional.

Not sure how that's a "cool app" or what it will eventually turn out to be. But to answer the OP question, maybe. It depends on what it ends up being. It's WAY to early to tell.

Uh, since Apple has already introduced it and said exactly what it's going to be, I think it's fair to make an assumption based on that...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Uh, since Apple has already introduced it and said exactly what it's going to be, I think it's fair to make an assumption based on that...

True, they have said what it's going to be... but the devil is always in the details. I'm gonna wait and see HOW they do it, and how it functions before saying yea or nay.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR