My Thoughts on the Design of the iPhone 5

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
If Apple were to get rid of the physical home button it really doesn't mean they'd be introducing a "gesture based interface". They could be only using it as a left-right swipe area to flip between open apps. That's not really the same kind of UI that HP, Playbook etc. Are using. And they would not ever go to that "cards" UI. Apple's made it pretty clear they don't want to do that.

Reactions: Skysurfer

DreamOutLoud65

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
it's been kinda quiet on the carriers for iPhone5.. Anyone hear anything more on whether Sprint will pick this up this fall? I have been anxiously waiting to make the switch but am with Sprint so am I waiting for nothing? I know there were strong rumors that they would being that the phone or at least iPhone 4 is CDMA.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
it's been kinda quiet on the carriers for iPhone5.. Anyone hear anything more on whether Sprint will pick this up this fall? I have been anxiously waiting to make the switch but am with Sprint so am I waiting for nothing? I know there were strong rumors that they would being that the phone or at least iPhone 4 is CDMA.

There hasn't been any "official" word yet on whether they will or won't. Some say they will pick it up, while others say they won't. I think we'll know more when Apple announces the iPhone 5, until then, it's anyone's quess.

---
- Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

DreamOutLoud65

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
There hasn't been any "official" word yet on whether they will or won't. Some say they will pick it up, while others say they won't. I think we'll know more when Apple announces the iPhone 5, until then, it's anyone's quess.

---
- Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

thanks.. I know there hasn't been anything official yet. Just rumors until Apple announces it. Was just curious because I hadn't seen any rumors about Sprint..I know they have a couple of new androids out this month. I have a sinking feeling they are solely focusing on the androids now so this makes me think it won't happen this fall. If it doesn't I will be getting a android (have a crappy BB Bold right now and I hate it) cuz I can't wait 6 months or a year if that's when they will pick up the iPhone.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
thanks.. I know there hasn't been anything official yet. Just rumors until Apple announces it. Was just curious because I hadn't seen any rumors about Sprint..I know they have a couple of new androids out this month. I have a sinking feeling they are solely focusing on the androids now so this makes me think it won't happen this fall. If it doesn't I will be getting a android (have a crappy BB Bold right now and I hate it) cuz I can't wait 6 months or a year if that's when they will pick up the iPhone.

You will not hear anything from Sprint about the iPhone, ever. Not until Steve tells them it's cool. All their Android commercials mean nothing. Verizon never talks about the iPhone in any commercials or promotion either, and they are already selling it (and the iPad).

DreamOutLoud65

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
You will not hear anything from Sprint about the iPhone, ever. Not until Steve tells them it's cool. All their Android commercials mean nothing. Verizon never talks about the iPhone in any commercials or promotion either, and they are already selling it (and the iPad).

dude, I know they won't be in their commercials (that's not what I am talking about) but they will at least announce it thru some press release which will hit the internetz. It seems that they are putting their focus on the android market in the last couple of years which makes me doubtful about the iphone coming to them is all I am saying.:rolleyes:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The home button is not going anywhere anytime soon. I think they would rather change the size, have a smaller home button or have hardware that wont wear as much. So they might have a touch panel on the front that accepts your finger input like the clickable trackpad on MacBooks. The gesture is nice on the iPad, I haven't touched my home button in over 5 months. However on the iPhone screen it's just so small especially if you consider people with huge hands and the fact that it requires all your fingers not just one or two.

The volume buttons will also always be there because not everyone uses they phone with headphones. Even people who use headphones use the phone without them at some point. If you are thinking using software then you are requiring two or three taps when a simple hardware button only takes one. Just look at your TV, how long have TVs been around and they still have volume buttons.

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
riley, why do you think it would be cool to see the home button moved to the back?

---
- Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Well for one thing I really don't like bezel and by moving the home button the back they could eliminate more of it and fit a bigger screen. Also, I think it would be a really great, innovative way of using space on the back of the phone rather than fitting everything used for operation to the front.

Think about it.. pressing a button on the back of your phone, that would just be awesome! lol

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Well for one thing I really don't like bezel and by moving the home button the back they could eliminate more of it and fit a bigger screen. Also, I think it would be a really great, innovative way of using space on the back of the phone rather than fitting everything used for operation to the front.

Think about it.. pressing a button on the back of your phone, that would just be awesome! lol

Yes, it might increase the available screen real estate on the front, but for those of us who use cases, it would be pretty impractical...

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it might increase the available screen real estate on the front, but for those of us who use cases, it would be pretty impractical...

Thats very true. But then case makers would just have a cut out for it.. like, for some reason otterbox always has that cut out for the apple logo on the back... But there's no way apple would ever put the home button on the back anyway

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Agree it would seem like more of a hassle and get bumped or accidentally hit more when you place your hand on the back of the phone.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thats very true. But then case makers would just have a cut out for it.. like, for some reason otterbox always has that cut out for the apple logo on the back... But there's no way apple would ever put the home button on the back anyway

True, they could add another cut out for the back, however, I think adding a third cut out would take away from the Apple logo as well as make the back look too congested. Keep in mind that there is also a camera on the back besides the Apple logo.

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Agree it would seem like more of a hassle and get bumped or accidentally hit more when you place your hand on the back of the phone.

I guess so but I don't think I grip my phone hard enough to do that. But anyway, it's never gonna happen as much as I might want it to...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW