This guy is saying Apple will release THREE new phones...

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
In what world is it "just as ridiculous" to assume that a company will continue with a very successful strategy they've employed for the last 2 years?

Calebswag7

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
There strategy hasn't been releasing one phone at a time? It's been upgrading and releasing a new revolutionary design of their hit product. They're already outside of the "usual" even to you because there's supposed to be at least two. So yes, it is ridiculous to think that the option isn't even considerable. It could happen. Don't close off all the options just because of your narrow minded thinking.

Sent from tapatalk
iPad 2 running iOS 4.3.5
Best buy employee
Free time apple enthusiast

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There strategy hasn't been releasing one phone at a time? It's been upgrading and releasing a new revolutionary design of their hit product. They're already outside of the "usual" even to you because there's supposed to be at least two. So yes, it is ridiculous to think that the option isn't even considerable. It could happen. Don't close off all the options just because of your narrow minded thinking.

Sent from tapatalk
iPad 2 running iOS 4.3.5
Best buy employee

Here's the thing...if you want to approach this logically but still base it on rumor, everything points to 2 phones AT MOST, not three. All the releases, silly little news breaks, insider info, etc etc etc...it all points at a 4S and an iPhone 5.

If we approach it with your logic, based on the fact that "you can't prove that there WONT be three, so don't close off that possibility!", then we could add really ANYTHING to the pot and still stick with your approach...what if there are 800 different iPhones, and 400 of them are made of solid gold! You can't prove me wrong here...but it's no less absurd.

Now I'm not saying that the idea of 3 iPhones is that far fetched, but logically speaking, everything points at two iPhones, not three...and saying that, I'm confident there will not be 3 either.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I know he's wise but that doesn't automatically make him right every time.

Look, I'm just calling it as I see it - and if I were Steve Jobs it would make sense to me. I consider myself a fairly wise individual. So do others.

Hey, look Mate, you believe anything that makes you happy at the end of the day... I believe, Jeremy. ;)

Last edited:

DreamOutLoud65

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Here's the thing...if you want to approach this logically but still base it on rumor, everything points to 2 phones AT MOST, not three. All the releases, silly little news breaks, insider info, etc etc etc...it all points at a 4S and an iPhone 5.

If we approach it with your logic, based on the fact that "you can't prove that there WONT be three, so don't close off that possibility!", then we could add really ANYTHING to the pot and still stick with your approach...what if there are 800 different iPhones, and 400 of them are made of solid gold! You can't prove me wrong here...but it's no less absurd.

Now I'm not saying that the idea of 3 iPhones is that far fetched, but logically speaking, everything points at two iPhones, not three...and saying that, I'm confident there will not be 3 either.

yes, this makes more sense.. 2 devices at the most.. I kinda think it will be just the one phone (iphone 5) with gsm/cdma world phone..

Calebswag7

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying it won't but just simple don't be so closed to say it couldn't. I'm not approaching it as just because it's not proven complete wrong means it could happen, like 800 iPhones. The article raised some valid points and brought some good rumors to where it could be 3. It wasn't absurd and I'm simply stating it's just kind of ridiculous, as some people have said, to say no. It'll only be two. Don't close it off because if you read the article it has just as much logical rumors suggesting three so don't close off the idea and tell the guy he knows nothing. Because that's not the case

Sent from tapatalk
iPad 2 running iOS 4.3.5
Best buy employee

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site

Sent from tapatalk
iPad 2 running iOS 4.3.5
Best buy employee

Their* (not 'there'). I don't mean to insult you, but incorrectly spelled homonyms are an epidemic among the people speaking our language today.

First of all, you don't know that they're outside of the 'usual'. Everything is rumors and speculation. And even if it is 2 'new' phones, it will really only be one new phone, and one 8GB iPhone 4. It's not going to be a "4S". The "iPhone 4S" will be about as 'new' as the 8GB iPhone 3GS was in 2010. The only other difference will likely be a cheaper manufacturing method, possibly resulting in a slightly altered body. This makes sense because Apple had to get Foxconn to bring in thousands of prototyping machines for the iPhone 4, so if they're going to make the iPhone 4 their new *budget* model, it doesn't make sense to still use such an expensive manufacturing method. Overall though, the $99 device will not be a completely 'new' device, and I can assure you that is a very, very safe bet.

Secondly, it is definitely not 'just as ridiculous' to assume that Apple will release a new iPhone at $199/$299, and use the previous model at a reduced capacity as the budget $99 model. Why is it not? Well, because that's what they have done for the past 2 years and it has worked very well for them.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Their* (not 'there'). I don't mean to insult you, but incorrectly spelled homonyms are an epidemic among the people speaking our language today.

First of all, you don't know that they're outside of the 'usual'. Everything is rumors and speculation. And even if it is 2 'new' phones, it will really only be one new phone, and one 8GB iPhone 4. It's not going to be a "4S". The "iPhone 4S" will be about as 'new' as the 8GB iPhone 3GS was in 2010. The only other difference will likely be a cheaper manufacturing method, possibly resulting in a slightly altered body. This makes sense because Apple had to get Foxconn to bring in thousands of prototyping machines for the iPhone 4, so if they're going to make the iPhone 4 their new *budget* model, it doesn't make sense to still use such an expensive manufacturing method. Overall though, the $99 device will not be a completely 'new' device, and I can assure you that is a very, very safe bet.

Secondly, it is definitely not 'just as ridiculous' to assume that Apple will release a new iPhone at $199/$299, and use the previous model at a reduced capacity as the budget $99 model. Why is it not? Well, because that's what they have done for the past 2 years and it has worked very well for them.

Why not just keep what they have of the i4 and use the 16gb as the budget model? It isn't like they aren't making enough off of the phones as it is. Why go through all of the hassle to manufacture more i4 with less memory.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Why not just keep what they have of the i4 and use the 16gb as the budget model? It isn't like they aren't making enough off of the phones as it is. Why go through all of the hassle to manufacture more i4 with less memory.

I've already addressed this. The current manufacturing process for the iPhone 4 is very expensive, and like I said, Apple had to pay Foxconn to bring in thousands of new prototyping machines. I would imagine they are going to re-purpose these machines to produce their new high-end phone, not keep them in use to manufacture their now budget-focused iPhone 4.

Why not just keep the 3GS 16GB as their budget model last year? In case you've forgotten there never was an 8GB 3GS until the iPhone 4 came out and it was used as the $99 phone. They do this because there needs to be differentiation between the budget device and the $199 device. 16GB is a lot for many people, absolutely enough space for most people. Apple doesn't want everyone to get along perfectly fine with the budget phone, they want people to buy the $199 or $299 device, obviously.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I've already addressed this. The current manufacturing process for the iPhone 4 is very expensive, and like I said, Apple had to pay Foxconn to bring in thousands of new prototyping machines. I would imagine they are going to re-purpose these machines to produce their new high-end phone, not keep them in use to manufacture their now budget-focused iPhone 4.

Why not just keep the 3GS 16GB as their budget model last year? In case you've forgotten there never was an 8GB 3GS until the iPhone 4 came out and it was used as the $99 phone. They do this because there needs to be differentiation between the budget device and the $199 device. 16GB is a lot for many people, absolutely enough space for most people. Apple doesn't want everyone to get along perfectly fine with the budget phone, they want people to buy the $199 or $299 device, obviously.

Clearly they want everyone buying the new model but not everyone will. the point is why spend all that money just for a lower memory model? Why not just keep using the previous year model. You can get an I4 for under 150 at certain places so it isn't like they can't knock off another 50. But that would defeat apples business model. Probably the same reason only certain things get added.

hyperhealer

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Actually that's not true. There are signs that point to there possibly being two more models but definitely not three. Apple always knows what there going to do next. They most likely knew what the iPhone 5 was going to be when they released the iPhone 4. With all of their products they just one up themselves without releasing everything they possibly can so that they can stay ahead of the game. It just wouldnt make sense for them to release three iPhones at one time...

IMHO, it makes a lot if sense to release a cheaper low end model and 2 higher end models for those who want it.

iOS5 will be pretty powerful. The 3G and 3GS probably won't be able to run it properly. A lot of people still use those models and they may or may not be willing to splurge on an upgrade just yet. A low cost model that runs the OS better puts pressure on them to buy.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Clearly they want everyone buying the new model but not everyone will. the point is why spend all that money just for a lower memory model? Why not just keep using the previous year model. You can get an I4 for under 150 at certain places so it isn't like they can't knock off another 50. But that would defeat apples business model. Probably the same reason only certain things get added.

Dude... The lower-end model is not meant to be an upgrade to the current high-end. It's meant to be virtually the same thing. The only people who will upgrade to the new low-end model are maybe people who bought a 3GS last year or the year before.

Calebswag7

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

Ok, for one this a forum chat. No ones going to go back and read what they just wrote. I know exactly how to speak and talk. And speaking the homonyms is a lot different. I believe the epidemic your looking for is lack of spelling abilities, which is a big problem.
And two I didn't say the lower budget model they're releasing is brand new? Of course it won't be. It'll be a slightly altered version of the iPhone 4 probably including both antennas and a different material than glass because they want it an extremely cheap manufacturing cost, like you said. And to the assumption of them releasing only the normal upgrade I also didn't say it's ridiculous to assume that they will, I mentioned it is ridiculous to think that's the only thing that could happen. The article this forums based on raises some very valid rumors and speculations that you should take in mind man. So calm down and take a break and actually read and understand what I wrote next time, because all I'm saying is don't close it off, consider both because it could easily go either way.

Sent from tapatalk
iPad 2 running iOS 4.3.5
Best buy employee

david.e.crocker@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

Jello, I assume you know that Apple makes TEN versions of a prototype phone, then whittles that selection down to three, then one, right? They are to be what they refer to as 'pixel perfect', so no rough edges, but final versions - perfect in execution. Their largest expense is in design first, the initial execution.

That you state they have a large expense in manufacturing the iPhone 4 is somewhat misleading....the actual initial design phase is what is expensive, not the final execution of the product.

Do your homework.

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Dude... The lower-end model is not meant to be an upgrade to the current high-end. It's meant to be virtually the same thing. The only people who will upgrade to the new low-end model are maybe people who bought a 3GS last year or the year before.

Incorrect. Again, do your homework.

The main reason Apple decided to keep the lower end models was to increase the userbase....bring people into the ecosystem. Some people won't buy an iPhone due to the price...$199 is on the upper end of pricing in the US. Offering a $49-$99 pricepoint simply means that bringing people into the Apple ecosystem has offerings they will want.

This also leads back into my 'three phone' scenario. Currently, Android has 'free to stupendous' products. Apple has 'last years model and this years model', which simply cannot compete.

I am not saying I am right, but I believe this is the time that Apple has finally decided to increase their selection to more than one new style of phone; to accommodate the market.

Apple has never (in the past ten years) taken a serious misstep. They know they need to answer this call because the market demands it. What they do is either wait patiently and deliver the ultimate device or create an entirely new market segment.

Look back historically. You'll find that to be true.

The fact that I am not using an iPhone provides me clearer insight and no bias. It excites me to see the opportunity that Apple has right now and watch them execute on a level or brilliance that few other companies can match.

They are an excellent business model and one I reference often when I train my new hires.

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

Yes, that is absurd. The claim is that there will be three phones, not 800 with 400 that are solid gold.

Here's my problem with what you said....you took it to an extreme.

I didn't.

Keep it relevant and on-topic, even if you don't like it, because it keeps this thread open and more importantly, respectful. I am not bashing anyone, simply stating my viewpoint. It's totally okay to differ.

I am merely stating that the business model for offering three products has never been stronger, the market seems to require multiple offerings to remain competitive and Apple doesn't make many missteps....so to me, Apple needs this to remain the industry leader.

Those who want, need or prefer a larger screened device will avoid Apple, and not just the device, but ultimately the ecosystem. You need to expand your thinking and look at the bigger picture. I'm not stating three phones because I think three phones sounds cool...I recognize marketshare loss and trending and analysis enough to know that the market requires more than two models now. Two years ago that market standard didn't exist.

Apple will continue to lose marketshare to Android until they answer that call.

Their ecosystem is their bread and butter. iCloud will create all sorts of ecosystem growth and without a device to support that (the larger screened iPhone) no one will enter that ecosystem.

Think big picture, my friend. It's about the end user experience, something Steve Jobs preaches...his mantra is all about the customer experience.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that is absurd. The claim is that there will be three phones, not 800 with 400 that are solid gold.

Here's my problem with what you said....you took it to an extreme.

I didn't.

Keep it relevant and on-topic, even if you don't like it, because it keeps this thread open and more importantly, respectful. I am not bashing anyone, simply stating my viewpoint. It's totally okay to differ.

I am merely stating that the business model for offering three products has never been stronger, the market seems to require multiple offerings to remain competitive and Apple doesn't make many missteps....so to me, Apple needs this to remain the industry leader.

Those who want, need or prefer a larger screened
device will avoid Apple, and not just the device, but ultimately the ecosystem. You need to expand your thinking and look at the bigger picture. I'm not stating three phones because I think three phones sounds cool...I recognize marketshare loss and trending and analysis enough to know that the market requires more than two models now. Two years ago that market standard didn't exist.

Apple will continue to lose marketshare to Android until they answer that call.

Their ecosystem is their bread and butter. iCloud will create all sorts of ecosystem growth and without a device to support that (the larger screened iPhone) no one will enter that ecosystem.

Think big picture, my friend. It's about the end user experience, something Steve Jobs preaches...his mantra is all about the customer experience.

I agree in the past Apple only needed one iPhone but times are changing and Apple needs to change also. I'm sure everyone will get up in arms but check out how android is exploding and gaining market share everywhere and you will realize why Apple may make more than a high end and budget model.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Jello, I assume you know that Apple makes TEN versions of a prototype phone, then whittles that selection down to three, then one, right? They are to be what they refer to as 'pixel perfect', so no rough edges, but final versions - perfect in execution. Their largest expense is in design first, the initial execution.

That you state they have a large expense in manufacturing the iPhone 4 is somewhat misleading....the actual initial design phase is what is expensive, not the final execution of the product.

Do your homework.

I really can't argue with you because you can not hold a concept.

The prototyping machines were not used for prototyping the iPhone 4, they were used for the actual manufacturing of the iPhone 4 (and still are). Clearly you are the one who needs to do your homework.

I'm not interested in responding to you anymore.

Also, 'simply can not compete', and yet it does compete, very strongly might I add. Apple has a higher market share than any one manufacturer.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73