This guy is saying Apple will release THREE new phones...

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Apple sells out of iPhones every year. It makes very little sense for their to fragment their manufacturing like that.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I highly doubt there will be 3 models. That is way too confusing for the consumer. Nobody would know which one they want.

I'm pretty sure they are going to do the iPhone 4 but with a cheaper body (it's too expensive build-wise right now to be a budget model) at $99.

Then the iPhone 5 will be the standard model with the high end construction and new features.

The end. Unless they are going to explore completely different form factors, like a significantly smaller phone or a physical keyboard phone, I don't think they would want to introduce another phone at the risk of confusing the consumer.

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I highly doubt there will be 3 models. That is way too confusing for the consumer. Nobody would know which one they want.

I'm pretty sure they are going to do the iPhone 4 but with a cheaper body (it's too expensive build-wise right now to be a budget model) at $99.

Then the iPhone 5 will be the standard model with the high end construction and new features.

The end. Unless they are going to explore completely different form factors, like a significantly smaller phone or a physical keyboard phone, I don't think they would want to introduce another phone at the risk of confusing the consumer.

I agree with you on this. Steve Jobs and Apple like to keep things simple and clean. I don't see 3 iPhones, But I am sure that there will be 2. Clean and simple...the Apple way.

david.e.crocker@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I still stand by what I wrote, not that I am some genius, but the signs point to it. Excellent point about confusing the customer, that has legs to me, which means there's probably going to be at least two. The new iCloud phone could be that third phone.....but I still believe there will be a larger form factor, there are simply too many large-screened phones for Apple NOT to compete in that size. I will not use a small screen (3.5") after having used a 4.3"...simply too small. Feels like a BlackBerry screen.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I still stand by what I wrote, not that I am some genius, but the signs point to it. Excellent point about confusing the customer, that has legs to me, which means there's probably going to be at least two. The new iCloud phone could be that third phone.....but I still believe there will be a larger form factor, there are simply too many large-screened phones for Apple NOT to compete in that size. I will not use a small screen (3.5") after having used a 4.3"...simply too small. Feels like a BlackBerry screen.

...? How exactly does my point that 3 models would be confusing lead you to believe there will be "at least two"? .... I think you're just dead set on this idea of 3 phones and you're not willing to think of it any other way.

As of now iCloud does not do music streaming, so there won't be an "iCloud phone" until that's a reality. Also, while data plans are so heavily limited, that also makes the "iCloud phone" very far off.

Regarding a larger screen, Apple won't be doing something that large any time soon. There are physical limitations. Don't forget that the iPhone is not a 16:9 screen, and that will not be changing any time soon because they have invested too much in retina display's 960x640 resolution. In order to do a 4" screen at the current aspect ratio, they would be increasing the size of the device, which is something they definitely don't want to do. If they extended the screen to be closer to the edges like it was in the first gen iPhone, it may be about 3.8". But they won't go larger than that at this time.

I highly doubt they're going to have two 3.5" models and one 3.8" model... Again, it's far too confusing to the customer.

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
...? How exactly does my point that 3 models would be confusing lead you to believe there will be "at least two"? .... I think you're just dead set on this idea of 3 phones and you're not willing to think of it any other way.

As of now iCloud does not do music streaming, so there won't be an "iCloud phone" until that's a reality. Also, while data plans are so heavily limited, that also makes the "iCloud phone" very far off.

Regarding a larger screen, Apple won't be doing something that large any time soon. There are physical limitations. Don't forget that the iPhone is not a 16:9 screen, and that will not be changing any time soon because they have invested too much in retina display's 960x640 resolution. In order to do a 4" screen at the current aspect ratio, they would be increasing the size of the device, which is something they definitely don't want to do. If they extended the screen to be closer to the edges like it was in the first gen iPhone, it may be about 3.8". But they won't go larger than that at this time.

I highly doubt they're going to have two 3.5" models and one 3.8" model... Again, it's far too confusing to the customer.

Well, there's too much evidence that points to a minimum of two phones. They're phasing out the 3GS and replacing it with the iPhone 4S and there WILL be an iPhone 5....so by my math, that's two, right? ;)

Plus THIS.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Well, there's too much evidence that points to a minimum of two phones. They're phasing out the 3GS and replacing it with the iPhone 4S and there WILL be an iPhone 5....so by my math, that's two, right? ;)

Plus THIS.

First of all, that was my argument. That there will be 2 phones. You're saying 2 or more new models. I'm saying there definitely will not be more than 1 new phone, making 2 phones offered total (including the re-purposed iPhone 4). 2 is the norm, and technically 1 of the 2 is not a "new" phone. So if you say 2 new models, you're implying there will be 2 actual new devices.

Secondly, that article is talking about the 5, but calling it the "4S" because people are under the misconception that every other iPhone will share the same design with only internal updates, like the 3G->3GS. This is not necessarily the case, and I would argue that the reason a new design could not be approved for the 3GS was because Steve Jobs was ill during the time it was being developed and tested.

The iPhone 4 which will be the budget model will likely not actually be different from the iPhone 4 at all, other than possibly a less expensive manufacturing method and casing materials. It certainly won't be called "4S", because it's not going to have any more 'speed' than the current iPhone 4. 'Speed' is what the 'S' stood for in '3GS', in case people forgot. It will probably keep the iPhone 4 name, because it's going to be pretty much the same device (though probably with cheaper shell materials and 8GB storage).

You can't really look at the myriad of crazy rumours as signs pointing to Apple's decisions.. You can only really look at their historical record and who they are as a company.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I think if apple really wants to deal a blow to android release the i5 with lte. I can't see this happening since apple can only upgrade a few things each version so they have more for the next model. Sadly if people get confused then they shouldn't have a smartphone anyway. I think this would be the perfect time to release the iphone hd and have a 4 inch screen with lte and watch how that breaks all the sales record that apple had.

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I think if apple really wants to deal a blow to android release the i5 with lte. I can't see this happening since apple can only upgrade a few things each version so they have more for the next model. Sadly if people get confused then they shouldn't have a smartphone anyway. I think this would be the perfect time to release the iphone hd and have a 4 inch screen with lte and watch how that breaks all the sales record that apple had.

I would buy an iPhone HD with a 4" screen. NOT one with a 3.5" screen.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I would buy an iPhone HD with a 4" screen. NOT one with a 3.5" screen.

That is what I am saying. I am sure there are many people out there who would like a little bit larger screen and apple could make the hd and price that at 199/299 and then use the 4s/4 as the cheaper priced model. That way they would only need to make one new model or even make 2 new models and just get rid of the 3gs. Then again steve jobs said nobody would ever want a phone with a screen over 3.5 inch screen so looks like it will stick with that size.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
That is what I am saying. I am sure there are many people out there who would like a little bit larger screen and apple could make the hd and price that at 199/299 and then use the 4s/4 as the cheaper priced model. That way they would only need to make one new model or even make 2 new models and just get rid of the 3gs. Then again steve jobs said nobody would ever want a phone with a screen over 3.5 inch screen so looks like it will stick with that size.

I'm still wondering about the effect of the (potential) larger screen on battery life. I'd like a marginally larger screen... but not at the expense of battery life.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Calling it "iPhone HD" and just making the screen bigger would really irk me... Haha... Because in order for it to deserve the "HD" moniker, it should be more "High Definition" than previous models. Meaning a higher resolution (which is definitely not happening). Really, the iPhone 4 should've been called "iPhone HD".

It would be nice if it had 4G this time around. I'm really curious actually about what they're doing if it doesn't have 4G! What else is there to add hardware-wise? They do tend to add a new hardware feature in each version. 3G - 3G/GPS. 3GS - Compass. 4 - Gyro. What now?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The rumor mills seem to be really amping up this LTE addition because of what they found at the Apple store...its certainly at least something to be curious about, but i still can't imagine this version having it since the technology is only just now coming to legitimacy on the carriers anyways (especially AT&T). Impossible? Nah...but it just seems far fetched. I'd also have to question their ability to retain the price of the iPhone 4 with an LTE model...

It would be amazing though, especially if all the other pieces of "rumor" are accurate and we have a larger phone, with better features AND LTE...throw in thunderbolt syncing speed and you'd have a game changer.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm still wondering about the effect of the (potential) larger screen on battery life. I'd like a marginally larger screen... but not at the expense of battery life.

If Apple were to increase the capacity of the Battery to support the larger screen size it won't be an issue.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
NOT one with a 3.5" screen.

Maybe you won't, but I'll bet millions will. Just look at how well the retina display did with the 3.5" screen on the iPhone 4. Anyway, I don't think this will be an issue as everything that I've heard so far points to the next iPhone having a 4" screen.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If Apple were to increase the capacity of the Battery to support the larger screen size it won't be an issue.

Of course if they increase the size of the battery to support the larger screen size, it won't be an issue. My point is that if they don't increase the size of the battery, it very well could/will be an issue. There are rumors that they won't increase the overall size of the phone (actually they may make it thinner), but simply increasing the "screen size" to nearly cover the complete face of the phone... if that's the case, there's nowhere to put a bigger battery.