Syncing photos with Beta 4

dublex

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum. I have one question. I recently updated my phone to iOS 5 Beta 4, having been on all other previous beta releases seeded by Apple. As we all know this beta came over the air. In anticipation of getting the latest seed, I updated without knowing that my photos would disappear. I've probably should have just downloaded the .ispw file and called it a day. I am on the latest version of iTunes as well. When i look at my capacity bar for my iPhone, it says I have 2.5 GB worth of photos EXCEPT when I look on in my photos app, it states I have no photos.
qwy2k0.png

How can i fix this?

Thank you guys for the help.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I've sync'd 6 times now. When I first updated, all I had were my photo stream and camera roll. Three syncs later I had albums back, but not all of them. Call it a beta 4 bug.

dublex

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Alli. I've synced at least 20 times and no luck. I need to find a way to dig into the system (without jailbreak of course) and delete the photos.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Alli. I've synced at least 20 times and no luck. I need to find a way to dig into the system (without jailbreak of course) and delete the photos.

From reading this thread, I am making the assumption that the photos are not "gone", just not showing up on the iPhone (meaning that you have a copy of them SOMEWHERE that you can access).

If that's the case, connect your phone and go to the PHOTOS tab of the iPhone device section in iTunes and uncheck the SYNC PHOTOS box. It should prompt you with something like "remove all photos from your device". Say OK and then apply the settings and sync. That should remove the photos from the phone and free up the space.

Now, go to wherever the photos live and do the necessary to get them to sync with your device... go back to the PHOTOS tab on the device section of iTunes and set up photo synching from scratch. Apply/sync and see what happens.

Try that and let me know how it goes. That should reclaim the space on your device and put the photos back, too.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I just found this in the release notes... may be germane to this conversation:

• If you find issues with apps, media and/or photos synced to your device, you can reset then resync. From Settings -> General -> Reset, choose Erase all Content and Settings. Then reconnect to iTunes and sync again.
  • In some cases, your device may fail to sync contacts, calendars and account settings, or back up to iTunes. If this happens, reboot your device and re-sync.
  • NEW:In some cases, syncing photos may result in only thumbnails on your device. If this happens, unsync Photos then re-sync again.

dublex

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
thanks HankAZ, i'll try these and I'll post how it goes!

UPDATE:
It didn't work. I tried both your method and the method given by Apple in the release notes. AS SOON as the phone rebooted i got this:

2d0xj0m.png

Hopefully its just a bug and not an issue with my phone. Maybe next Beta will fix this.

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I went ahead and reset settings and resync, first time with no photos syncing (it was set to no sync from earlier), and I'm now syncing photos back.

I see a rather large discrepancy, though, between the number of photos there, and what iTunes is syncing to my phone.

Notice the total number is 2025, yet if you look at the progress bar during the sync, it tells you 637 of 659, as though the total number is 659.

The sync is finished, and I'm back where I started - not all my albums have sync'd. My photo library contains 659 pictures. What the heck happened to the other 1366 pictures?!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Not that I'm like a dog with a bone, but I'm not giving up on this, and think I may have just found something.

The problem seems to be folders within folders. So if I have my pictures arranged in things like Family and then sub folders with New Years 2011, and Vacation 2009...only the pics in the main folder sync, but not the subfolders.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Not that I'm like a dog with a bone, but I'm not giving up on this, and think I may have just found something.

The problem seems to be folders within folders. So if I have my pictures arranged in things like Family and then sub folders with New Years 2011, and Vacation 2009...only the pics in the main folder sync, but not the subfolders.

Interesting... but were they on your phone before?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73