My trip to the genius bar..

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
LED light would make a very, very negligible difference in battery life...

I would guess that it takes power for it to continuously flash and therefore would have an impact on the battery life. Maybe not much, but it does to some extent.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
if a larger screen means loss of battery and retina display then HELL.NO.

In thinking more about your comment here, I do not think increasing the screen size from the current 3.5" to say 4" would have a tremendous impact in the battery life. All of my Androids screens were 4" or more and I was able to get 6 hours of full use and 12 - 18 hours of standby time, which is exactly the amount of time that I get now with my jailbroken iPhone 4. Don't forget that you can always decrease the screens brightness and set the timeout a little sooner to help conserve the battery life.

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
In thinking more about your comment here, I do not think increasing the screen size from the current 3.5" to say 4" would have a tremendous impact in the battery life. All of my Androids screens were 4" or more and I was able to get 6 hours of full use and 12 - 18 hours of standby time, which is exactly the amount of time that I get now with my jailbroken iPhone 4. Don't forget that you can always decrease the screens brightness and set the timeout a little sooner to help conserve the battery life.

I never had a Android that could get more than 3-3.5 hours of usage on battery life. You getting 6 hours is iPhone 4 type of usage.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I never had a Android that could get more than 3-3.5 hours of usage on battery life. You getting 6 hours is iPhone 4 type of usage.

I did a few things differently on my Androids than my iPhone 4 that helped. I knew getting an Android that I would not have good battery life, so I never had my email pushed to my Androids like I do on my iPhone. Also, I always killed everything that running in the background on the Android. Another thing I did was keep the screens brightness to just the right viewing but nothing higher. With my iPhone I can keep the screens brightness higher without having to worry too much. I think the fact that I did those things on my Android was the reason I got that kind of battery life. My iPhone gets a lot more standby time than my Androids did.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I did a few things differently on my Androids than my iPhone 4 that helped. I knew getting an Android that I would not have good battery life, so I never had my email pushed to my Androids like I do on my iPhone. Also, I always killed everything that running in the background on the Android. Another thing I did was keep the screens brightness to just the right viewing but nothing higher. With my iPhone I can keep the screens brightness higher without having to worry too much. I think the fact that I did those things on my Android was the reason I got that kind of battery life. My iPhone gets a lot more standby time than my Androids did.

I would keep brightness at 50-60% and I always killed everything too. A very good day was me getting 3.5 hours. And that was a excellent day lol

accessoriesguy

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
yeah Apple store employees don't know anymore than the rest of us about when these new toys are coming. They do know when the dates are near, when they start restocking the store, or having overnight operations but that is about it.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I would keep brightness at 50-60% and I always killed everything too. A very good day was me getting 3.5 hours. And that was a excellent day lol

I kept my screen at less than 50%. Did you have your email pushed to your Android, or did you check it via the browser the way I did? From what I hear, when a phone is constantly checking for and pushing mail it does have a significant drain on the battery life. To tell you the truth I never thought 6 hours of use was great considering I wasn't seeing the same standby times that I was getting on my iPhone. With Andriid I always needed to charge them 2 or 3 hours after I finished work.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I kept my screen at less than 50%. Did you have your email pushed to your Android, or did you check it via the browser the way I did? From what I hear, when a phone is constantly checking for and pushing mail it does have a significant drain on the battery life. To tell you the truth I never thought 6 hours of use was great considering I wasn't seeing the same standby times that I was getting on my iPhone. With Andriid I always needed to charge them 2 or 3 hours after I finished work.

Agree. I think we should at least have a 4" screen. It would be the perfect all around size for the iPhone and apple could still call it a retina display. Plus I already get crap battery life with my iPhone. I'm too addicted to it :). I'm constantly charging it. If the battery got slightly worse it wouldn't matter to me. I would also like to see a led.

sogaduch

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
6 hrs really of battery life? I work a 10-9 shift mon,wed,and thurs and it's near Toronto so my 4 is normally off plug by 830( damn DVP traffic) and I can get a full day plus Monday I have hockey at 11 and it still has juice till I get home around 1-2AM. I don't make calls just txts,e-mail,twitter and browsing the web. My e-mails are push and on avg I get 20-30 a day.

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

You're confusing two types of mail notifications, I think. When a smartphone receives "push" notifications, that means its not constantly checking anything. The server that receives the email pushes it to the phone, which allows the phone to connect for a minimal amount of time...just long enough to receive the notification.

"Polling" is when a phone opens the connection and checks for new emails. This can usually be set to check every fifteen minutes, half an hour, two hours, etc...depending on how quick you want your emails. Push notifications [potentially] uses much less battery than Polling, as it only connects when there actually is a new email, rather than connecting every fifteen minutes, or however long you have it set, whether there is an email or not.

Think about it this way: What takes more energy? Having pizza delivered to your door when its ready (Push notification) or driving to the pizza place every fifteen minutes to see if it done (Polling). Poor analogy, but you get the point.

That being said, if you constantly receive emails all day long, then you might see an impact on battery life with the push notifications.

Personally, I have my work email an my gmail account set to push to my iPhone, and between the two, I receive several a day. I usually see no difference in battery life on days when I receive more or less emails.

rosser

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If the iPhone 5/4s or whatever the hell its called has an A5 processor (which there is a 99% chance it will, doesn't that mean that jailbreak is almost impossible?

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Can't believe the hostility in here towards the Apple employee. It's disappointing :( Weren't we taught to not be tattle-tales in like, elementary school? So what if the person speculated when they shouldn't have... it's such a minor offense, I can't believe you'd whip out the pitchforks for something so small.

Anyway... December would SUCK!!! I don't believe it just on the fact that it'd be dumb. November would be better than December... December is really late, especially during Christmas season. A lot of people will have made all of their xmas purchases by then... makes no sense.

I still stand by my original prediction of September... willing to go September announcement, October release, but only because my birthday is in October and that'd be pretty sweet :D

Reactions: rosser

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Can't believe the hostility in here towards the Apple employee. It's disappointing :( Weren't we taught to not be tattle-tales in like, elementary school? So what if the person speculated when they shouldn't have... it's such a minor offense, I can't believe you'd whip out the pitchforks for something so small.

Anyway... December would SUCK!!! I don't believe it just on the fact that it'd be dumb. November would be better than December... December is really late, especially during Christmas season. A lot of people will have made all of their xmas purchases by then... makes no sense.

I still stand by my original prediction of September... willing to go September announcement, October release, but only because my birthday is in October and that'd be pretty sweet :D

+1. If everybody in every industry was fired for speculating there would be an enormous loss of some stellar employees.

I speculate that the iPhone six will release exactly one year from today. Don't tell my boss though. :)

dcgore

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I think iOS 5 coming out in the fall is a pretty good indication the new iphone is meant to be released around the same time. December doesn't not sound reasonable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2