Hey guys i couldnt find any up to date threads on this topic so i figured id start one.. When the iPhone 5 is probably released this September...will it have 4g/LTE..or will we have to wait till the iPhone 6 is released for it to incorporate smaller 4g chips(cause right now 4g phones are pretty bulky). Thanks all.
    07-14-2011 12:11 PM
    Highly unlikely we see it on the 5. More and likely the 6
    07-14-2011 12:12 PM
    No official word yet, but like Garz said, don't count on it...i know that AT&T has made official word earlier in the year that their LTE network is not fully capable yet, and i doubt it has been rendered fully ready since the beginning of the year.
    07-14-2011 01:38 PM
    No official word yet, but like Garz said, don't count on it...i know that AT&T has made official word earlier in the year that their LTE network is not fully capable yet, and i doubt it has been rendered fully ready since the beginning of the year.
    Agreed. Apple waited on the release of 3G... and it will wait until the carriers get 4G/LTE set and rolled out, IMHO.
    07-14-2011 02:00 PM
    I think it's possible they will do a 3G/4G radio in the device which can be turned on respectively when each carrier launches their 4G network... I think it would be quite the oversight for them not to include 4G at this point. I personally don't give a **** about 4G because 3G is fast enough here, but there are too many 4G devices coming out now and it's such a huge marketing ploy for this year.
    07-14-2011 02:37 PM
    I think it's possible they will do a 3G/4G radio in the device which can be turned on respectively when each carrier launches their 4G network... I think it would be quite the oversight for them not to include 4G at this point. I personally don't give a **** about 4G because 3G is fast enough here, but there are too many 4G devices coming out now and it's such a huge marketing ploy for this year.
    Doubtful. People won't buy or not buy the iPhone based on whether or not it has 4G capability (recent poll indicated that 1/3 of all iPhone customers already thought they had 4G because of the name iPhone4)... they will buy because it's Apple. Period. And I still believe that Apple will wait for both AT&T and VZW to fully roll out their respective 4g/LTE networks before making the change.

That's my opinion... and it's probably worth every penny you paid for it.
    07-14-2011 02:45 PM
    A hidden switch is possible...since they can make it visible with ease through a firmware update but keep it out of the public eye just as easily in the same light. I just don't see how it would be feasible for them to test it if AT&T doesn't have a good testing bed of LTE networks out there yet...who knows.
    Last edited by SeanHRCC; 07-14-2011 at 05:04 PM.
    07-14-2011 05:02 PM
    A hidden switch is possible...since they can make it visible with ease through a firmware update but keep it out of the public eye just as easily in the same light. I just don't see how it would be feasible for them to test it if AT&T doesn't have a good testing bed of LTE networks out there yet...who knows.
    Doesn't Apple have a $100,000,000 testing facility of their own? :P
    07-14-2011 07:43 PM
    Doesn't Apple have a $100,000,000 testing facility of their own? :P
    They sure do...but i'd hazard to guess it'd be pretty essential for them to test it on a network in which it would be used, and not just their testing facility. I don't think i need to quote the videos showing the iPhone 4's antenna being tested in said facility, and passing with flying colors last year...
    07-14-2011 08:20 PM
    I believe Apple will not take this risk to launch its highly awaited device with 4G due to uncertainty from operators to deal with 4G network.
    07-15-2011 09:10 AM
    Definitely no LTE with the iPhone 5. As mentioned, though, the iPhone 6 is more likely and LTE should be more wide spread by then as well.
    07-15-2011 09:51 AM
    We've already heard speculation that the chips being used will be hspa+/cdma. AT&T may market it since it does everything else 4G (will be interesting to see Apple's stance on that...since Verizon couldn't market their iphone as 4G). But it's not likely to be LTE.
    07-15-2011 10:24 AM
    We've already heard speculation that the chips being used will be hspa+/cdma. AT&T may market it since it does everything else 4G
    HSPA+ is not the same as LTE. Although many people confuse the two as being the same.
    07-15-2011 10:30 AM
    HSPA+ is not the same as LTE. Although many people confuse the two as being the same.
    Never said it was
    07-15-2011 03:44 PM
    Given VZ's LTE and AT&T's frequencies will be different, phone manufacturers will have a hard time making "global" LTE phones. I am not sure what other countries outside the US will be operating under but there should be a standard.

So for now, it seems that even if there's an iphone with LTE, we'll have the same issues of buying different devices for different carriers as we have always experienced.
    07-22-2011 11:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD