How many Beta versions

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering what peopeles ideas on how many Beta versions there are going to be, isn't it usually only 3 and with about two months to go till a supposed release and the way apple release beta versions (every two or so weeks) anyone reckon there's going be anymore?

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
at this rate of a new version every 2 weeks, then 7 total betas? i'm sure they'll slow down, and maybe we'll get 5.. thats just a random assertion tho. i have no actual information..

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
When we stop having major issues with betas, and Apple is happy, we will get a final product and no more betas. I would say a minimum of 5.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I forsee a total of 5 betas total. I personally think the gap from beta 3 to beta 4 will be the longest. At least a month until beta 4. Some big issues have been taken care of (that have affected me) from what my testing has shown, now it's just a matter of stomping out annoying small ones. The final betas are going to be about fine tuning, IMO.

Last edited:

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I think Apple will release Betas every two weeks until they get it right and then release the GM seed, I am anxious to see if they will do a Beta update via OTA to test that system out.

itsalexaye

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I think Apple will release Betas every two weeks until they get it right and then release the GM seed, I am anxious to see if they will do a Beta update via OTA to test that system out.

I think they would since its a new feature in iOS 5. But they cant fully test it til they roll out the first public OTA where millions maybe billions of people are accessing apple's iOS Servers.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I think they would since its a new feature in iOS 5. But they cant fully test it til they roll out the first public OTA where millions maybe billions of people are accessing apple's iOS Servers.

I don't think OTA updates would ever be released all at once, I would wager that they would take a regional or carrier approach to updates similar to android & webOS ... I don't think they would attempt to bring down their own servers. I also think that they would test the OTA feature in Beta prior to giving it a try on the release software. The whole MobileMe launch failure has taught apple some valuable lessons.

Ios5beta3

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah mostly 5, 4 will probably introduce Wifi Sync to Windows users, fix up bugs, and if not still some bugs and beta 5 could fix all bugs since they are being reduced with each beta and by GM all of it will be spotless! (My idea anyways)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
last year, the GM seed was the 5th beta. This year I believe we'll see 6-8 since its not releasing until fall. Should be rock solid

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I say 6-8 including the GM. Apple has to get this completely right. They're introducing a lot of new features and capabilities. Beta 4 is ok, but still feels like a beta. Plus, they have plenty of time to let iOS 5 bake. Why stop testing 2 months before it's publicly available?

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I say 6-8 including the GM. Apple has to get this completely right. They're introducing a lot of new features and capabilities. Beta 4 is ok, but still feels like a beta. Plus, they have plenty of time to let iOS 5 bake. Why stop testing 2 months before it's publicly available?

How are you on beta 4 when the devs just barely got seeded beta 3 on Monday? :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2