iPhone 5 vs. iPod Touch "3G"...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
With the new iPhone right around the corner (hopefully) and the recent rumors of the iPod Touch w/ 3G service offered, i started thinking about what the iPod was capable of these days, and what exactly holds the iPhone above the iPod Touch now vs. what used to be a pretty staggering difference between the two.

Now I personally probably wouldn't go fully to an iPod Touch with 3G service and leave the iPhone behind, but the capabilities of the newer iPods really has me thinking...what would it take for you to decide against having an iPhone and migrating over to a fully "online" experience with an iPod? Theoretically, you'll be able to find ways to make calls, send SMS and MMS messages and use the web obviously with Safari, and all with 3G service...but are there things that would hold you to the iPhone and AT&T/Verizon/etc?

It kind of goes along with the thread someone made about using "Pay as you Go", where you have to find work arounds to have basic features that the iPhone does with the carriers effortlessly...outside of that, it seems the iPod Touch has the exact same native capabilities, so could it be an option in the future? Will the data plans available to the iPad users be the same plans offered to iPod Touch users? And would those plans even be enough to cover an iPod used in place of an iPhone?

Cliff Notes:
If the "two iPhones" coming this fall end up being an iPhone 5 and an iPod Touch "3G", would you consider switching over to save money? What are you willing to sacrifice to pay less monthly (if anything)?

Adhiboy

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I'd like the ability to keep my current number. An iPod Touch 3G does really seem much more like a phone to me than say the iPad 3G.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The news was mentioning something about this yesterday. I think a Pay as you go iPod is a good idea, especially since it could be used whether there was a WiFi signal or not.

accessoriesguy

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
The news was mentioning something about this yesterday. I think a Pay as you go iPod is a good idea, especially since it could be used whether there was a WiFi signal or not.

dude, that would be awesome! I have wanted to get an iPhone, but honestly I really don't need one...i am still on prepaid with a very basic phone :)eek: i know) and honestly I'm a busy guy I don't have time for texting 24/7 or need facebook with me everywhere to make lame updates.

But I like the fact that the iphone is well one a phone, has internet services, and of course is an ipod (I have never owned an ipod either, second :eek:)

If i could get an itouch with 3G or whatever. I could use google talk or skype for calls, and itouch itself has some sort of texting thing I know that. It would be just the same for me as an iPhone, but at a way better pricing point for me.

It would be a cheaper alternative, but who knows whats going to happen.

iV1SHAL

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Would be good but I would still use the iPhone. But if the iPod 3G got iMessage that would be awesome for anyone with one.

oklanole

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I use the iPod and message portion of my iPhone the most. I rarely come close to my minutes limit and that is on the lowest family plan. I do need the phone portion so I would end up with two devices to carry. I would would not get the "iPod 3G."

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I'd snap up a 3G enabled iPod touch. I dual wield a Torch and a touch daily, and the only thing I'm missing really is data for the touch since my office doesn't have wifi, and I'm on the road frequently. . I wouldn't mind paying a few extra bucks on a small data plan for it. This would let me get my BlackBerry fix while also giving me a dose of iOS goodness :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

dcgore

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't know. I think it much rather use it with a hot spot...not sure i would use all of the data while paying a lot for it.

iMalum

Jul 21, 2011
iphonechroniclr.wordpress.com
I don't think Apple would make an iPod touch 3G. It would be just too similar to the iPhone --the only real difference being the carrier phone system. Apple needs to maintain some differentiation between the iPhone and the iPod touch.

I also doubt that there'll be 2 iPhones released this fall. Apple wouldn't make a "cheaper iPhone" because they already have one --the iPhone 3GS ($49). So when the iPhone 5 comes out, the iPhone 4 will be the "cheaper iPhone."

Then again, with Apple you just never know.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
With the new iPhone right around the corner (hopefully) and the recent rumors of the iPod Touch w/ 3G service offered, i started thinking about what the iPod was capable of these days, and what exactly holds the iPhone above the iPod Touch now vs. what used to be a pretty staggering difference between the two.

Now I personally probably wouldn't go fully to an iPod Touch with 3G service and leave the iPhone behind, but the capabilities of the newer iPods really has me thinking...what would it take for you to decide against having an iPhone and migrating over to a fully "online" experience with an iPod? Theoretically, you'll be able to find ways to make calls, send SMS and MMS messages and use the web obviously with Safari, and all with 3G service...but are there things that would hold you to the iPhone and AT&T/Verizon/etc?

It kind of goes along with the thread someone made about using "Pay as you Go", where you have to find work arounds to have basic features that the iPhone does with the carriers effortlessly...outside of that, it seems the iPod Touch has the exact same native capabilities, so could it be an option in the future? Will the data plans available to the iPad users be the same plans offered to iPod Touch users? And would those plans even be enough to cover an iPod used in place of an iPhone?

Cliff Notes:
If the "two iPhones" coming this fall end up being an iPhone 5 and an iPod Touch "3G", would you consider switching over to save money? What are you willing to sacrifice to pay less monthly (if anything)?

If they did then they should re-brand it the iPad Nano and sales would instantly soar. No one seems interested in anything "iPod" anymore.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If they did then they should re-brand it the iPad Nano and sales would instantly soar. No one seems interested in anything "iPod" anymore.

100% agree...it seems that iPod is going the way of all other MP3 players, which is unfortunate because the iPod Touch was so much more, but still lumped in with the rest.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
100% agree...it seems that iPod is going the way of all other MP3 players, which is unfortunate because the iPod Touch was so much more, but still lumped in with the rest.

Word, the iPod Touch is very under rated and over looked. I may actually be picking one up this fall depending on how everything shakes out with all the stuff coming out in the next few months.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2