So I just woke up and I had set my alarm for 8am.. Now I am late for work, which is awesome.

Anyway, I looked at my iPhone and oddly just as I looked at it I see the apple logo and then the startup screen, as if I had just installed iOS 5.

I unplugged it, and it shut off. I tried to turn it on but it won't turn on unless plugged into a power source now, apparently. Kickass!

I plugged it in to my computer and now it keeps turning on for about 10 seconds and showing the apple logo, then turning off.. And repeating this process. It is fully charged at 100% so the battery is not dead... @_@

What should I do? Ugh this is the worst thing that could have happened today. I can't even call in to let my manager know why I am late -_-
    07-09-2011 10:35 AM
    If you have computer access to write this forum post, you can call into your manager to explain your situation. Just use Skype - at most it will cost you $3.00 - well worth it in a situation like this.
    07-09-2011 10:45 AM
    Is it still doing this? If it is, but the iPhone in recovery mode or dfu mode
    07-09-2011 10:55 AM
    Is it still doing this? If it is, but the iPhone in recovery mode or dfu mode
    DFU mode and see if iTunes recognizes the device. If so good sign and just restore it.

If not we may need to look deeper.
    07-09-2011 11:09 AM
    damn that sucks!
    07-09-2011 11:56 AM
    Connect to iTunes and reload the OS, if that's not possible take it in to an Apple store and get it swapped.
    07-09-2011 02:44 PM
    this happened to my friend and he called apple and explained the problem, they said to send it too them registered post and he got a new one within two days of sending it off.
    07-09-2011 07:18 PM
    If the phone wont boot then they are just going to reload it. So why not just take it to the Apple store?
    07-09-2011 08:43 PM
    I can not connect it to iTunes. The battery has died and it will only turn on when plugged into AC. For whatever reason, my computer does not transfer enough power through USB to keep the iPhone on past about 30 seconds (before it has even started up).

So, no DFU mode, no restore, etc... It's not possible.

I took it to the Apple store and they were going to fix it, but they said that because it's on iOS 5 their computers are not setup to perform a diagnostic on it. They advised that I contact apple care. Luckily they did not see the installation of iOS 5 beta as a warranty issue.
    07-09-2011 11:28 PM
    why would it be an issue? It's official software and the problem sounds like hardware anyway. If a beta would void warranty no one would develop for them.
    07-10-2011 01:44 AM
    why would it be an issue? It's official software and the problem sounds like hardware anyway. If a beta would void warranty no one would develop for them.
    I told them it's a hardware issue but they said their systems are not equipped to do a diagnostic on iOS 5 (they tried, it wouldn't work), so they have no documentation and therefore they can not fix or replace the phone.
    07-10-2011 01:50 AM
    Try the geek squad at best buy.
    07-10-2011 08:43 AM
    Try the geek squad at best buy.
    Not sure I'd take anything to them. Several bad experiences - both personally and heard from friends. Apple products should always go back to Apple for repair.

It's odd that the stores could not do anything... and I understand that iOS5 is beta, but c'mon... See what AppleCare has to say, but I'd just go back to the Apple store and demand satisfaction. You have an Apple device and were legitimately running Apple provided software. They should fix it or replace it.

Just my opinion.
    07-10-2011 09:06 AM
    I would never ask the geek squad anything. I hate them, mostly out of principle... We all know why they are terrible.

Anyway, I called Apple Care, and of course the first person I spoke to was being completely useless. So I asked him to elevate it to his supervisor and she was amazing. She was completely reasonable and immediately diagnosed it as an obvious hardware issue regardless of iOS 5 being installed, and said she would call and instruct the store to allow a replacement without the need to run the diagnostic.

What was funny to me was that the first guy was trying to say my phone support was expired, meanwhile I was not asking for tech support I was making an inquiry regarding fixing my phone as per my warranty, which I've done many times in the past 3 years. And then when I spoke to the supervisor, she tried to tell me that I was 20 days outside of my warranty period, when infact I am exactly 20 days INSIDE my warranty period, as I purchased the phone on July 30th, 2010 (the day it came out in Canada).

IMO the customer service experience in-store and via apple care has become a little bit more hostile as-of-late.
    07-10-2011 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD