Led notification indicator!

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Anything that makes life easier for the hearing impaired is great. I have no problem with that, and God knows they deserve it. However, if an LED light makes the rest of us happy, so be it. For me, my device is an iPhone, not a BB. If they add an LED light, at least let them have a way to disable it. Why are we still posting about this flipping LED?:p

My 11 year old daughter is hearing impaired. It would be a great advantage to her having an LED on the iPhone. If Steve decides to include it on the new iPhone5, I am sure it will have the option of being disabled. I hope Apple does this for my daughter's sake and for all those out there who are hearing impaired.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
My 11 year old daughter is hearing impaired. It would be a great advantage to her having an LED on the iPhone. If Steve decides to include it on the new iPhone5, I am sure it will have the option of being disabled. I hope Apple does this for my daughter's sake and for all those out there who are hearing impaired.

I'm glad that Apple will add that feature on the iPhone. For people who need it, it's an idea that is long overdue. For people who don't need it, it's a better idea if it can also be disabled.:)

lenmac08#IM

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
if no LED notification (even though I say we have the option to turn it on), how about a slightly stronger vibration?? Pretty weak compared to a BB which means a lot of missed calls or missed messages when in my pocket.

dcgore

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't think we'll see and LED indicator. The vibration strength is pretty good i think but the device is so small/thin most times people can't feel it.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
personally, the only time i will miss any vibrations while my phone is in my pocket is if i am moving around for a while. what i am more concerned with is the fact that i feel what seems like a vibration.. check my phone--nothing

this happens to me about 3-4 times a day. crazy

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't think we'll see and LED indicator. The vibration strength is pretty good i think but the device is so small/thin most times people can't feel it.

Since they programmed the LED function into the new operating system to work with the old hardware, I think it's safe to assume that as long as the hardware for IPhone5 changes it will include a more functional LED. Just makes sense since they already went that direction.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
personally, the only time i will miss any vibrations while my phone is in my pocket is if i am moving around for a while. what i am more concerned with is the fact that i feel what seems like a vibration.. check my phone--nothing

this happens to me about 3-4 times a day. crazy

Maybe you just like putting your hand into your pocket? I'm not judging!:D

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
As much as I want there to be a notification light I don't think there will be because without one apple forces you to pick up you're phone, unlock it, and then physically check which gets you to do other things on it which eventually leads to buying more apps so although it seems farfetched, I think not having a notification light is a technique to get more people to spend money in the app store... but it sure would be nice to have one..

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
As much as I want there to be a notification light I don't think there will be because without one apple forces you to pick up you're phone, unlock it, and then physically check which gets you to do other things on it which eventually leads to buying more apps so although it seems farfetched, I think not having a notification light is a technique to get more people to spend money in the app store... but it sure would be nice to have one..

That's creative thinking to say the least! :) Since they have programed an indicator LED light into the new OS already, I would have to assume the hardware is going to change this fall and we will see a much overdue indicator light to make all of our Iphone experiences that much better. I can't wait! :)

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
That's creative thinking to say the least! :) Since they have programed an indicator LED light into the new OS already, I would have to assume the hardware is going to change this fall and we will see a much overdue indicator light to make all of our Iphone experiences that much better. I can't wait! :)

Right it is creative and I stated myself very farfetched. But those are the kinds of things apple does to stay number one, little psychological tricks like that. And I think anyone on this forum would agree with me that one of the main reasons apple is considered one of the best is because of small psychological marketing schemes.... So yes, it may be "creative thinking to say the least" but what other suggestions do you have as to why they haven't included an indicator light in the past??

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Right it is creative and I stated myself very farfetched. But those are the kinds of things apple does to stay number one, little psychological tricks like that. And I think anyone on this forum would agree with me that one of the main reasons apple is considered one of the best is because of small psychological marketing schemes.... So yes, it may be "creative thinking to say the least" but what other suggestions do you have as to why they haven't included an indicator light in the past??

I really don't know. To be different? Stupidity? Being cheap? I don't know. I'm kind of sure the reason they haven't done it yet though would not be to drive people to the App Store since (unless you jailbreak it) it is the only way to get new and different apps on your phone I'm just glad it's going to be there in the fall on the new one. Everything on the device is close to perfect except for the notifications. They flat out suck to be frank IMO.

Last edited:

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I really don't know. To be different? Stupidity? Being cheap? I don't know. I'm kind of sure the reason they haven't done it yet though would not be to drive people to the App Store since (unless you jailbreak it) it is the only way to get new and different apps on your phone I'm just glad it's going to be there in the fall on the new one. Everything on the device is close to perfect except for the notifications. They flat out suck to be frank IMO.

Well you can't criticize me and say my suggestion is "creative to say the least" when you, and no one else for that matter, can suggest a more reasonable explanation as to why they haven't included one.

Also, I know the app store is the only way to get to apps, but what I was suggesting is that through that scheme they would get people to buy those apps MORE...

SteezyAR

Aug 2, 2011
www.SteezyAR.com

totally, an LED indicator would be awesome. Would it add to battery consumption though if its like ALWAYS going off?

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Well you can't criticize me and say my suggestion is "creative to say the least" when you, and no one else for that matter, can suggest a more reasonable explanation as to why they haven't included one.

Also, I know the app store is the only way to get to apps, but what I was suggesting is that through that scheme they would get people to buy those apps MORE...

Your theory is kind of ridiculous to me but you are entitled to your own opinions. Checking for a missed call is not going to drive anyone to the App Store IMO.

Last edited:

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
totally, an LED indicator would be awesome. Would it add to battery consumption though if its like ALWAYS going off?

It would only take juice when you have a new notification, and it takes far less power than the vibrate mode. Also, if you couple the energy lost by hitting the home button which activates the screen and then unlocking the phone (for me a minimum of 8-10 times daily to see if I missed anything), I would venture a guess that all things being equal, having an LED indicator would help conserve power.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
lol...i don't think people quite understand how little power an LED bulb blinking actually uses...to give an example, i have a Pink Floyd CD called "Pulse" that has a little LED light on it that blinked continuously (hence the name of the album)...it ran off a tiny watch battery, and lasted over 12 years continuously blinking before it finally stopped (although it would start back up again if you shook it, but it wouldn't keep doing it very long).

LED would not impact battery consumption much at all.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
It would only take juice when you have a new notification, and it takes far less power than the vibrate mode. Also, if you couple the energy lost by hitting the home button which activates the screen and then unlocking the phone (for me a minimum of 8-10 times daily to see if I missed anything), I would venture a guess that all things being equal, having an LED indicator would help conserve power.

8-10 times daily, that's it?...I hit the home button on my phone that many times an hour. lol. I would love a LED indicator, but that won't be a deciding factor for me to buy the new phone when it comes out. If it's a small upgrade like a 3 to 3GS, I don't think I will be buying a new phone, but then again, I like new things. I guess until it gets announced/released, no one will fully know.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro