Error 3194 when installing Beta 2

abadgti

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I didn't have any issues installing beta 1 but when I try to install beta 2 I get the message: "An unknown error occurred (3194)". Can anyone help me out :confused:

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, if you aren't technical enough to edit a hosts file........you shouldn't touch beta software.

ohh come on guys!!!... stop that !! It's a damn phone and a software, I dont know what the big deal is about regular people trying beta, I know Apple says it's only for developers, but they also say jailbreaking is bad for your phone, it makes it slow and it voids your warranty and this website pretty much encourages people to do it, I really dont see the difference...
Yes, it could brick the phone but a little "do it at you own risk " disclaimer would do it ( again , same as jailbreaking ), it's someone trying to install a beta software guys, not performing an open heart surgery on a 8 year old boy..
Relax and let's help him out

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
ohh come on guys!!!... stop that !! It's a damn phone and a software, I dont know what the big deal is about regular people trying beta, I know Apple says it's only for developers, but they also say jailbreaking is bad for your phone, it makes it slow and it voids your warranty and this website pretty much encourages people to do it, I really dont see the difference...
Yes, it could brick the phone but a little "do it at you own risk " disclaimer would do it ( again , same as jailbreaking ), it's someone trying to install a beta software guys, not performing an open heart surgery on a 8 year old boy..
Relax and let's help him out

It's not a matter of whether or not they can install the beta... it's more a matter of who's going to hold their hands and nurse them along when (1) they hose something up royally or (2) the beta is a total hunk of crapware - it does happen sometimes.

Just because they can doesn't mean they should. And as has been pointed out, if they can't perform simple tasks (like editing the host file) without step by step instructions, what makes you or them think they would be able to handle the really tricky stuff?

Those who say "you shouldn't do it" aren't being exclusive... it's more a matter of protecting the n00bs from themselves.

And from a legal standpoint, Apple has said that it's for developers only who have agreed to the Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA)... so technically, we should not even be having this discussion.

*smh*

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
It's not a matter of whether or not they can install the beta... it's more a matter of who's going to hold their hands and nurse them along when (1) they hose something up royally or (2) the beta is a total hunk of crapware - it does happen sometimes.

Just because they can doesn't mean they should. And as has been pointed out, if they can't perform simple tasks (like editing the host file) without step by step instructions, what makes you or them think they would be able to handle the really tricky stuff?

Those who say "you shouldn't do it" aren't being exclusive... it's more a matter of protecting the n00bs from themselves.

And from a legal standpoint, Apple has said that it's for developers only who have agreed to the Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA)... so technically, we should not even be having this discussion.

*smh*
I got what you're saying but remember many people who jailbreaks have no idea how to edit a host file either, but we all find detail guides and "how to" all over the internet ( and tipb as well )... and quite the opposite with betas, i really dont see the difference between these two.
I just don understand why so many guys bere get so defensive about regular people asking stuff about betas..

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I got what you're saying but remember many people who jailbreaks have no idea how to edit a host file either, but we all find detail guides and "how to" all over the internet ( and tipb as well )... and quite the opposite with betas, i really dont see the difference between these two.
I just don understand why so many guys bere get so defensive about regular people asking stuff about betas..

If they realized the beta is a total hunk of crapware it is very simple to go back to 4.3.3 , again same as jailbreak... there is always workarounds, but dont ask here because you'll get decapitaded by the forums.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

First and foremost, because anyone who uses a beta is supposed to be under an NDA. The beta iOS and supporting software was released to developers who signed the NDA when they signed up for the developer account.

And no one is defensive about anything... but if you have to have your hand held through the process, you should not be doing it ... in my opinion. What's so hard about that to get your head around?

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
+1 to Hank. There is a reason apple does not release public betas. They are and have always been intended for developers to work out the bugs, not to get an "early preview" of the new OS.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
First and foremost, because anyone who uses a beta is supposed to be under an NDA. The beta iOS and supporting software was released to developers who signed the NDA when they signed up for the developer account.

And no one is defensive about anything... but if you have to have your hand held through the process, you should not be doing it ... in my opinion. What's so hard about that to get your head around?

Mmm you just proved my point after reading the second paragraph.
And i disagree, I'm a big guy... not a developer but know my way around installing betas, jailbreaking and going back to an old ios if i have too.

Just because Apple says it's only for developera does not mean I shouldn't install it, so they say jailbreaking is prohibited under the terms of use, it might brick your cellphone and make it buggy as hell... just relax man!!!!

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Hank. Don't mess with it if you don't know what you are doing.

I agree installing betas isn't for everyone, i just think the attitude about this should be " hey i hope you know what you're getting yourself into and do it at your own risk but this is how to change a host file" instead of " hey screw you, you should not be getting this betas because apple says so.."

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site

I do. I don't mind "regulars" trying out the beta, but if someone has to be babysat on each step to make things work, that tells me they shouldn't be running beta software. With jailbreaking, you usually just double click and run with minimal intervention. Not with beta software, especially if it goes wrong.

I stand by my original statement. If you don't know what a hosts file is, stay away from beta software.

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I do. I don't mind "regulars" trying out the beta, but if someone has to be babysat on each step to make things work, that tells me they shouldn't be running beta software. With jailbreaking, you usually just double click and run with minimal intervention. Not with beta software, especially if it goes wrong.

I stand by my original statement. If you don't know what a hosts file is, stay away from beta software.

+1. It's like a person trying to fly a plane because they have a drivers license and then asking mid flight how to land the plane because they simply don't know how.

Part of being a developer is having access to resources regarding the beta that the public does not, from educational videos, to development tools, to release notes. The developers pay for these resources. As stated previously, developers also sign nda's. Those developers that are distributing beta software for a profit should be reported. The purpose of registering with the provisioning service is for developers to test their app on multiple devices against new software, not for a sneak peek.

Argue all you want, but the fact will remain that beta's are not intended for the general public.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods