Error 3194 when installing Beta 2

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I do. I don't mind "regulars" trying out the beta, but if someone has to be babysat on each step to make things work, that tells me they shouldn't be running beta software. With jailbreaking, you usually just double click and run with minimal intervention. Not with beta software, especially if it goes wrong.

I stand by my original statement. If you don't know what a hosts file is, stay away from beta software.

Dont know if you're familiar with the latest jailbreaks but they are not intuitive and easy as it was before, download the jailbreak plus the ios, put the phone in dfu mode, save the shsh, tether jailbreak.. Its a pain in the azz, not as easy as a one click.
It's kind of a double standard to me since we have Ally Kazmucha providing excellent posts pretty much " babysitting" people into jailbreaking, reviewing apps like myfy or mywi ( whatever they are called ) that violates the contract with at&t and we have dedicated forums about jailbreaking even helping people with bricked iphones.
Not six months ago Apple was going to the federal goverment saying jailbreaking violates their copyright and it clearly violates their AUP but hey!!! Who am I to tell you this!!! Head on to the jailbreak community and we'll babysit and help you out.... but dont come to the ios5 forum for help or you'll be kicked out.

Hope you see my point..

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Dont know if you're familiar with the latest jailbreaks but they are not intuitive and easy as it was before, download the jailbreak plus the ios, put the phone in dfu mode, save the shsh, tether jailbreak.. Its a pain in the azz, not as easy as a one click.
It's kind of a double standard to me since we have Ally Kazmucha providing excellent posts pretty much " babysitting" people into jailbreaking, reviewing apps like myfy or mywi ( whatever they are called ) that violates the contract with at&t and we have dedicated forums about jailbreaking even helping people with bricked iphone.
Not six months ago Apple was going to the federal goverment saying jailbreaking violates their copyright and it clearly violates their AUP but hey!!! Who am I to tell you this!!! Head on to the jailbreak community and we'll babysit and help you out....

Hope you see my point..

I for one don't think the jailbreak community properly applies. I have spent many hours in the jailbreak forums and it is an entirely different argument. There is no jailbreak development program and no fees, nda's or any other legally binding attachments to it, nor is there a wealth of info other than what is posted to the forums.

That being said, it is equally irritating when people post basic questions in the jailbreak forums without doing their due diligence and reading a bit before posting.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
+1. It's like a person trying to fly a plane because they have a drivers license and then asking mid flight how to land the plane because they simply don't know how.

Part of being a developer is having access to resources regarding the beta that the public does not, from educational videos, to development tools, to release notes. The developers pay for these resources. As stated previously, developers also sign nda's. Those developers that are distributing beta software for a profit should be reported. The purpose of registering with the provisioning service is for developers to test their app on multiple devices against new software, not for a sneak peek.

Argue all you want, but the fact will remain that beta's are not intended for the general public.

That airplane analogy .... seriously?

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I for one don't think the jailbreak community properly applies. I have spent many hours in the jailbreak forums and it is an entirely different argument. There is no jailbreak development program and no fees, nda's or any other legally binding attachments to it, nor is there a wealth of info other than what is posted to the forums.

That being said, it is equally irritating when people post basic questions in the jailbreak forums without doing their due diligence and reading a bit before posting.

Agree on people irritating you with basic questions.
It is still against Apple's terms to jailbreak and it could be as hard to do as installing beta software, and there is development in jailbreaking, what are you talking about ... hundreds of guys out there developing for the jailbreak community and many of us testing their apps..
No way around it dude.... Betas are NOT intended for non developers but I stand by my jailbreak argument... Because that's what everybody replied to me " Apple does not want non developers using beta" and neither people to jailbreak and we still support it..

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My final word on the subject is as follows:

The courts have upheld my right as an iPhone owner to perform a jailbreak process and run software not authorized or blessed by Apple. Apple doesn't like it, but the courts have ruled. Caveat emptor. My phone, public domain software, my risk.

Apple has released the beta versions of their software to a restricted, closed community of developers who have signed legally binding NDAs... an act which they are violating by sharing the software and/or even discussing it in a public forum. Were Apple to have to notion to pursue those violators, the courts would most assuredly side with Apple against the developers. Your phone, copyright protected, early release, NDA protected private software, your risk.

Either way, if you need help with figuring something out, ask and see if you can get some help. If you don't understand the basics of any of it and need to be hand held through the process, you should not be doing it. I do agree with you that there is little difference between the mechanics of the JB process and the beta software... but we disagree in that if you don't know what you're doing, go away... Mommy can't help you, and, frankly, you're in over your head in that case.

And to me, the main difference is the legality of it all: JB is legal. Gaining access to and installing illegal/unauthorized, pre-release copyrighted software is NOT. No way around that, no matter how you try.

Hank, out.

Last edited:

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Agree on people irritating you with basic questions.
It is still against Apple's terms to jailbreak and it could be as hard to do as installing beta software, and there is development in jailbreaking, what are you talking about ... hundreds of guys out there developing for the jailbreak community and many of us testing their apps..
No way around it dude.... Betas are NOT intended for non developers but I stand by my jailbreak argument... Because that's what everybody replied to me " Apple does not want non developers using beta" and neither people to jailbreak and we still support it..

Though I don"t particularly disagree on any specific point, my comments are more intended to express the reason developers may at times may sound hostile. My argument is not that yours is not a valid one, simply this may not be the best venue to voice it as the bulk of posters in this area are going to be developers collaborating on their findings.

It can get difficult to be productive when there is a slue of people who have no business meddling in things they are not qualified to meddle in and expecting those that have acquired the knowledge to jump on the babysitting wagon.

I have the same feeling about those wishing to jailbreak. If you want to jump in, great. There are plenty of resources in the forums to bring you up to speed, but if you have not done your homework, be prepared for the fire. As for jailbreaking, apple may not condone it, but it is not illegal. A developer infringing on an NDA on the other hand is very much so. That is why I believe the jailbreak is akin to comparing two different fruits (apples to oranges) instead of comparing apples to apples. Though there are similarities and I do get where you're coming from, I doubt the argument will hold water with most of the frequent fliers of the OS5 beta forum.

This is where I leave the thread. This is Rusty Shackelford.....signing off.

Last edited:

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
My final word on the subject is as follows:

The courts have upheld my right as an iPhone owner to perform a jailbreak process and run software not authorized or blessed by Apple. Apple doesn't like it, but the courts have ruled. Caveat emptor. My phone, public domain software, my risk.

Apple has released the beta versions of their software to a restricted, closed community of developers who have signed legally binding NDAs... an act which they are violating by sharing the software and/or even discussing it in a public forum. Were Apple to have to notion to pursue those violators, the courts would most assuredly side with Apple against the developers. Your phone, copyright protected, early release, NDA protected private software, your risk.

Either way, if you need help with figuring out one piece, ask and see if you can get some help. If you don't understand the basics of any of it and need to be hand held through the process, you should not be doing it. I do agree with you that there is little difference between the mechanics of the JB process and the beta software... but we disagree in that if you don't know what you're doing, go away... Mommy can't help you, and, frankly, you're in over your head in that case.

And to me, the main difference is the legality of it all: JB is legal. Gaining access to and installing illegal/unauthorized, pre-release copyrighted software is NOT. No way around that, no matter how you try.

Hank, out.

The legality about JB wasn't decided not too long ago and things before were not different than today, it is still something hated by Apple and we all are aware of it, i make that argument because all i heard here was Apple doesn't want you on their beta, it's still a double standard to me but at the end you wraped it up pretty well , its my cellphone, my risk, my problem.
I was focusing on Apple's rules regarding jailbreaking and beta software, not federal or state laws, JB it' still very wrong and they made it pretty clear in their terms of use.

Last edited:

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Though I don"t particularly disagree on any specific point, my comments are more intended to express the reason developers may at times may sound hostile. My argument is not that yours is not a valid one, simply this may not be the best venue to voice it as the bulk of posters in this area are going to be developers collaborating on their findings.

It can get difficult to be productive when there is a slue of people who have no business meddling in things they are not qualified to meddle in and expecting those that have acquired the knowledge to jump on the babysitting wagon.

I have the same feeling about those wishing to jailbreak. If you want to jump in, great. There are plenty of resources in the forums to bring you up to speed, but if you have not done your homework, be prepared for the fire. As for jailbreaking, apple may not condone it, but it is not illegal. A developer infringing on an NDA on the other hand is very much so. That is why I believe the jailbreak is akin to comparing two different fruits (apples to oranges) instead of comparing apples to apples. Though there are similarities and I do get where you're coming from, I doubt the argument will hold water with most of the frequent fliers of the OS5 beta forum.

This is where I leave the thread. This is Rusty Shackelford.....signing off.
Wow very well said dude!!! I know I'm not at the best place to argue this, it's a lost battle.. =)

abadgti

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I installed beta 1 without changing my host files. Could something have changed? Thanks for everyones help so far.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox