Should I switch my BlackBerry to iphone 5 if Sprint gets it in September?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey, I've got a BB Curve 8330 and I could have upgraded last June if I wanted too, but RIM seems to not give a rat's A** about putting out the best product they can, just rehash upgrades on the same old device's. I'm on a budget, so getting an iphone 4 from Verizon for $120.00 as opposed to keeping my Curve 8330 at Sprint for $69.99 isn't an option, but so many rumors by some very credible sources like WSJ and others who have almost confirmed Sprint getting the iphone 5 along with At&t and Verizon and T-Mobile in September does have me hoping having faith in rumors. If not, I'll just grit my teeth and get a BB Bold 9930 and hope by 2013 Sprint will have an iphone by then, but my gut feeling is Sprint will have the iphone 5 along with the other 3 carriers in September. by the way, your avitar is kewl..love Futurama

Just as long as you understand it's purely a rumor...WSJ was one of the first to report Tmobile getting the iPhone 4 last fall, and you see how that went.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Just as long as you understand it's purely a rumor...WSJ was one of the first to report Tmobile getting the iPhone 4 last fall, and you see how that went.

And they also previously stated the iPhone would available on Verizon in Feb 2010. Well they were a year late

leftypepper716

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Totally understand nothing is a fact until Apple or Sprint makes an announcement of iphone 5 coming to Sprint...I would think that iphone 5 being on Sprint also would push Apple over the Android platform easily, being on all four major US carriers and the fact has of now, Sprint's unlimited data plan would woo over some Verizon customers to take advantage of that. I'm sure many Sprint customers who's contracts are about to expire would gladly resign with Sprint if they knew that the iphone 5 was going to be availiable. again, Sprint may lose a little more in subsidies carrying the iphone 5, but they will get more subscribers for 2yrs contracts if they have the iphone 5 availiable.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Totally understand nothing is a fact until Apple or Sprint makes an announcement of iphone 5 coming to Sprint...I would think that iphone 5 being on Sprint also would push Apple over the Android platform easily, being on all four major US carriers and the fact has of now, Sprint's unlimited data plan would woo over some Verizon customers to take advantage of that. I'm sure many Sprint customers who's contracts are about to expire would gladly resign with Sprint if they knew that the iphone 5 was going to be availiable. again, Sprint may lose a little more in subsidies carrying the iphone 5, but they will get more subscribers for 2yrs contracts if they have the iphone 5 availiable.

It wouldn't push the iPhone over the android platform because the android OS is offered on so many different handsets across the ENTIRE cellular provider board (world wide, not just the big ones here in the states)...iPhone will never capture that title because the android OS is slapped on literally ANYTHING they can get their hands on to put it on...

Also, Sprint's network is hardly ready for such an influx in traffic as the iPhone would bring to it, they are simply not prepared for it, and while that doesn't me they would never be ready for that kind of usage increase, i'd be willing to put money on the fact that if they did release the iPhone on Sprint, the service rating would probably be the lowest of all the carriers at that point that carried the iPhone.

Finally, i doubt that many people would switch to Sprint for a Sprint powered iPhone, because we all know that once this data juggernaut hits a network, their unlimited plans go the way of the dinosaur...combine that with the fact that Sprint has never really been widely known as a top rate carrier and you have a formula that would make existing Sprint users happy, but over all, wouldn't make that huge of an impact honestly.

Apple's real gem right now is Tmobile...THAT will make a tidal wave.

Last edited:

itsalexaye

May 8, 2011
Visit site
yesssss, as a former blackberry user I can honestly say iPhone is the way to go. I had the Blackberry tour with sprint then I jumped ship and went to AT&T for the iphone. I was tired of the lack of everything for the blackberry platform.

Reactions: leftypepper716

bmuncy

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I would say go for the switch. I use to me a major Blackberry lover and an Apple hater. Now it has totally switched. If you want one device for everything iPhone is the way to go. I made the switch because I was tired of having a seperate device for music, phone, and pictures now it is all in one. There is only one thing I miss from Blackberry and that is the keyboards. Man I could type faster on my blackberry than I could a regular keyboard. But you get use to the iPhone keyboard.

RIM has just fallen behind in times and they take way too long to get things out. Like updates take forever and most of the time they never are released.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
RIM is the 20th century while Apple and iOS is the 21st century :)

RIM still controls the corporate sector though, just as Microsoft...they've just all but given up on furthering their consumer products for a more popular hand set, and honestly, im sure they could care less that the iPhone is such a presence in the rest of the cellular world because they know they have a strong hold on the corporate world for at least 4-5 more years.

It's important to understand that at NO point was RIM trying to out do the iPhone with their own selection of hardware, they released the Storm to grab a niche market that loved BB phones but wanted the "new toy" that was the touch screen...to be honest, if RIM were to focus strictly on business, i think they would actually achieve more than they do right now, because there isn't a phone maker on the market that can touch them in that sector.

leftypepper716

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
RIM still controls the corporate sector though, just as Microsoft...they've just all but given up on furthering their consumer products for a more popular hand set, and honestly, im sure they could care less that the iPhone is such a presence in the rest of the cellular world because they know they have a strong hold on the corporate world for at least 4-5 more years.

It's important to understand that at NO point was RIM trying to out do the iPhone with their own selection of hardware, they released the Storm to grab a niche market that loved BB phones but wanted the "new toy" that was the touch screen...to be honest, if RIM were to focus strictly on business, i think they would actually achieve more than they do right now, because there isn't a phone maker on the market that can touch them in that sector.

I kinda agree, I wouldn't say RIM will have a strong hold on corporate for another 4-5 years, maybe 2-3, There are so many coporations and companies wanting an iphone that can incorporate the BES type security RIM provides, IMO sooner than later, the iphone will start getting that technology and make a dent in the corporate sector. As for RIM, like Apple, they could have best of both worlds buisness/personal devices. Follow Apple's logic, produce ONE high end device , the Bold QNX every April or May...then lower end Curves in October-November, but for god sakes, IMPROVE them signifigantly EVERY year! not re-hash. RIM still maintains a loyal base of customers who LOVE qwerty keyboards and BES & BIS that RIM brings to the table. But RIM has to face it, thier day in the sun has passed 2006-2008...then ALL down hill from there. The new Bold 9900/9930 will help RIM, but the true test is how they redsign themselves and push and make QNX and major OS in 2012.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I kinda agree, I wouldn't say RIM will have a strong hold on corporate for another 4-5 years, maybe 2-3, There are so many coporations and companies wanting an iphone that can incorporate the BES type security RIM provides, IMO sooner than later, the iphone will start getting that technology and make a dent in the corporate sector. As for RIM, like Apple, they could have best of both worlds buisness/personal devices. Follow Apple's logic, produce ONE high end device , the Bold QNX every April or May...then lower end Curves in October-November, but for god sakes, IMPROVE them signifigantly EVERY year! not re-hash. RIM still maintains a loyal base of customers who LOVE qwerty keyboards and BES & BIS that RIM brings to the table. But RIM has to face it, thier day in the sun has passed 2006-2008...then ALL down hill from there. The new Bold 9900/9930 will help RIM, but the true test is how they redsign themselves and push and make QNX and major OS in 2012.

Matching technology on other smart phones is only one piece of the puzzle though for the corporate world (and let's not forget government contracts), you have to also make it cost efficient for them to change over...and simply put, that really isn't the case at all when most of them have been using RIM hardware for the better part of the last decade (or more in some cases)...i know that the federal contract with RIM that covers the federal police and ICE is good for something like the next 8 years (2020 i think is the end point).

And imagine an entity that spans thousands of people with RIM phones that are the "norm", they all know how to use them now, they know the system of updating them and securing them...outside of the cost of a "smarter" (for lack of better term) phone, you'd be looking at a TON of cost associated with training and usage knowledge, collection of old hardware, setting it up to function with what is, a majority of the time, outdated computers to run fluidly with new phones like we have today...and that's leaving out hundreds if not THOUSANDS of other things that would have to be implemented.

It's just not as simple is having a phone that can do what a Blackberry can do, it's so set into the function of the corporate and government world, that changing it in the next possibly even 10 years would most likely not be very cost effective or efficient.

leftypepper716

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
But you would have to agree that little by little Apple is cutting off what made RIM, RIM...i Messenger, LED notification. IMO BlackBerry HAS to get thier sh*t together FAST! having a device that is almost always 8-12 months behind at least from other devices doesn't help.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Oh absolutely, they have pretty much met or exceeded everything people wanted from the Blackberry, including email functionality (the only exception really being securing said features for businesses). The adding of features really hasn't been an issue for years now...large business and government function under the logic that easier is better and cheaper...so if it adds complexity to a formula, they run away from it like the plague and stick to their safety bubble...which happens to be Blackberry hardware at this time.

leftypepper716

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
What really cracked my up is on crackberry.com (again, I have LOVED my Curve 8330 for over 2 yrs, so NOT a BlackBerry hater or traitor) but this guy said that people who use iphones really are not too smart, that they need a simple UI to use, and that BlackBerry (if you have the smarts) can do so much more than an iphone. LOL!!! I thought that was the most ridiculous statement made about a device. OF COURSE you'd want a device to be simpler (hence, the SMARTPHONE) Like I've said, I am NOT a fan of touchscreen devices, but the ONLY smartphone device that I've sampled (and I've sampled the best, Evo 4G, Evo Shift, Galaxy S, Droid 2, and the iphone 4) the UI on the iphone 4 to me was so easy and simple and very functional and the screen res was outstanding. And IF? Sprint does get an iphone 5 w/A5 Dual Core processor and thinner ipad2 design like, man I'll be VERY VERY happy. If the guy from the crackberry forum wants challange, then ditch his BlackBerry and grab a friggin' abacus and a horse & buggy...dumb a**

HuntBarr

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Go for it. I had a BB 9700, which I loved. But after using it for about a year, I missed my old iPhone 3G. The iPhone 4 totally blew me away when I gave in and bought it. Go with the iPhone (if and when it's available for you); you'll have no regrets.

Reactions: leftypepper716

leftypepper716

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I wont regret getting an iphone 5 (IF? it's available on Sprint) My main concern is that I just wanna stay with Sprint...so if they passed on the iphone 5, I'm like a dog with it's tail between my legs and skullking to it's master and get a BB Bold 9930...but IMO Apple would be better off giving the iphone 5 availability to EVERY major carrier in the US. Think about it...what if few years ago Apple ONLY released the ipod at, say...Best Buy...how many ipods could they have sold? IF? Apple is manufacturing an iphone that's GSM/CDMA compatable...why NOT? make it available to every US carrier...1 million to 100 million....it's gonna be the same damn smartphone device. With that I'll end with a bow and a tip to you with my Glennlivet Scotch and a toast..."Sprint! Get the iphone 5 already, you Kansas 3rd place a-holes!"

Delta Flyer

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

The company I work for is global in nature and the only market that uses BB is North America. Everywhere else uses Mobile Office on Symbian or Window Mobile phones. This fall, the IT group is going to take a decision on smartphone use within the company. Their findings so far indicate a substantial cost savings in monthly fees by switching to smartphones ILO of BB. A 2 gig data plan is cheaper after corporate discounts than an unlimited BB plan. I currently use a Bold 9700 and can't wait to get rid of it. BB does one thing really well and that's email. However, with the push to become more efficient in our daily activities, there are applications that exist for iOS and Android that don't exist for BB that would make our lives easier. It seems all of the "useful" apps are written for iOS first and Android second. BB is often not considered.

If I knew what the exact date of release for the iPhone 5 was, I wouldn't hesitate to grab an iPhone 4 30 days prior so I can dump my BB that much sooner.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The company I work for is global in nature and the only market that uses BB is North America. Everywhere else uses Mobile Office on Symbian or Window Mobile phones. This fall, the IT group is going to take a decision on smartphone use within the company. Their findings so far indicate a substantial cost savings in monthly fees by switching to smartphones ILO of BB. A 2 gig data plan is cheaper after corporate discounts than an unlimited BB plan. I currently use a Bold 9700 and can't wait to get rid of it. BB does one thing really well and that's email. However, with the push to become more efficient in our daily activities, there are applications that exist for iOS and Android that don't exist for BB that would make our lives easier. It seems all of the "useful" apps are written for iOS first and Android second. BB is often not considered.

If I knew what the exact date of release for the iPhone 5 was, I wouldn't hesitate to grab an iPhone 4 30 days prior so I can dump my BB that much sooner.

The only market that uses BB in north america? whaaaa? :confused:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2