Okies it might just be me but is there really any need for an iPhone 5, if your an iPhone 4 user like me with the iOS 5 coming out it will give the iPhone 4 all it needs.

My advice for iPhone users on 3G & 3GS is just get the iPhone 4.

I don't know what would make
    The iPhone 4 better we don't need a camera update, the iPhone 4 is fast, smooth and flawless, so Evan if iPhone 5 comes out will it really be worth the upgrade??
    GreatNeal likes this.
    06-12-2011 05:27 AM
    Yes it's needed. A dual core chip is needed IMHO. That is the main thing it needs. I am in the it needs a bigger screen camp but that is debatable.
    06-12-2011 05:36 AM
    Speed. Things could be faster. A5, HSPA+

Regardless there's the fact you can sell iphone 4 for more than the upgrade cost of the iphone 5.

I can guess one (ok..two) feature that will be unique to iphone 5 using A5 chip. That's hdmi mirroring and airplay mirroring. Anyone guess anymore iphone 5 only stuff?

I'll take another stab and say Photobooth, 1080p video (maybe), and widgets. Possibly a theme store and ability to theme to iphone 5. My thinking comes from looking at ipad 2 with A5 and also Apple's theme of copying some popular stuff this year (which is great, no bashing here). So you look and think what else can they bring in that might need more processing or new hardware? Voice control? Wireless charging dock similar to Touchstone?

That's enough to get the hordes in lines..
    Last edited by cardfan; 06-12-2011 at 10:12 AM.
    06-12-2011 09:04 AM
    I agree, dual core chip would be worth it for me alone!! Not saying the i4 is a slouch, not at all but look at the performance improvements from iPad 1 to iPad 2! If you're happy with your i4 then keep it! I am happy with my 3GS but have full intensions of getting the 5! Curious to see what other bells & whistles they add!
    06-12-2011 01:36 PM
    Speed, and am I the only person who hasn't forgotten about the green tinge that appears in the middle of indoor photos? It's on all iPhone 4s and Apple hasn't even acknowledged it.

Oh yeah and I'd like a better antenna. It's annoying when I hold my iPhone in my left hand and can't receive a text. :/
    06-12-2011 02:26 PM
    Dual core for sure. Perhaps a bigger screen. Maybe have BOTH 3.5" AND A 4" or something. Both offer the same features. The screen size would be the only diference.

I hope they keep the design of the iphone 4 around for a while. It is nice. Then again I like the idea of a curved screen. (like the 5th gen nano or the HTC sensation/Nexus 4G)
    06-12-2011 02:31 PM
    I just got a iPhone 4.

Apple probably has some "one more thing" with iOS 5 thats exclusive to the iPhone 5. But is it worth $700? Probably not. LTE? I have an unlimited 3G data plan and it's not deployed enough to make it worth my while. NFC? I live in a simple city, not some huge metropolis like NYC where stores are willing to deploy NFC. Bigger screen? Greatly appreciated but I'm not paying $700 to upgrade from a 3.5" to 3.7" or 4" screen. Dual-core? Nice, but not worth it to me yet.

Now if I have a 3GS or older iPhone, then yes these features are worth it.
    06-12-2011 06:36 PM
    Then don't pay to upgrade! All these upgrades are very worthy! It's what drives the next great thing in technology!!
    06-12-2011 07:48 PM
    A5 chip and 8MP camera is enough for me to upgrade
    06-12-2011 07:50 PM
    I'm with Jello and oNLy...I have a 3Gs and can't wait for iPhone5!! 4 is good but 5 should have MOST, if not all of the features and enhancements that everyone has been whining, I mean hoping that Apple would incorporate into the next iOS release. We shall see, and I am stoked to see the released version after all of these projections about the new OS.
    06-13-2011 07:48 AM
    I'm with you. The A5 brings dual core into the mix as well as much better graphics capabilities. This keeps the new iPhone at a minimum up to par with competitors for the coming year. The current camera is great. A better camera would be icing on the cake, IMHO. Of course this is in concert with the release of iOS5 which in and of itself takes the platform to new heights. Sounds like a winner to me.
    06-15-2011 07:44 PM
    I guess iPhone is never going to be fast enough. It will always needs to upgrade sth to be able to stand out in the competition.
    06-16-2011 02:55 AM
    A5 - YES!!

Why do you need an 8MP camera?
    06-16-2011 05:40 AM
    Okies it might just be me but is there really any need for an iPhone 5, if your an iPhone 4 user like me with the iOS 5 coming out it will give the iPhone 4 all it needs.

My advice for iPhone users on 3G & 3GS is just get the iPhone 4.

I don't know what would make
    The iPhone 4 better we don't need a camera update, the iPhone 4 is fast, smooth and flawless, so Evan if iPhone 5 comes out will it really be worth the upgrade??
    Sure there's a need for it...because there are people in the market that don't stay satisfied with technology for any long length of time, and Apple has sold that market hook, line and sinker over their entire spectrum of products...i personally just love new gadgets, so i'll buy a new iPhone whenever one becomes available, as long as it doesn't negatively effect me financially over that time too severely, it's the fulfillment of a "want" more so than a "need", but the need in the market is still there because the want is still there from the consumer.

As far as what the new phone would bring to the table that YOU don't need...that's strictly a personal preference...maybe the iPhone 4 isn't as fast as some would like, or compared to some of the brand new phones hitting the market...i know i would love an even better camera, so to me, a new camera is totally a great new feature worthy of consideration.

Tech toys have a very short life...especially with phones, if you're still using your 3GS, you're basically playing with a dinosaur when it comes to tech toy age...not to say it is or isn't capable of being a great phone still, it's just getting old in terms of gadgets.

It's like most cars...every year or so they'll refresh them and every 3-4 years they'll redesign them. Is it a dire necessity within the market? Usually not...but people want new stuff, so the need for the company to do so is undeniably there.
    Last edited by SeanHRCC; 06-16-2011 at 07:14 AM.
    06-16-2011 07:12 AM
    Better reception and better speed processing. This should to be core area for improvement for iphone 5. Few concerns are also there in functionality like notifications, storage and connectivity.
    06-18-2011 02:57 AM
    Better reception and better speed processing. This should to be core area for improvement for iphone 5. Few concerns are also there in functionality like notifications, storage and connectivity.
    I think you are spot on there. Currently I find that the iPhone is lightning fast at doing everything until you wonder into the realm of 3G and, god forbid, EDGE!
    06-18-2011 04:17 AM
    as with every update...better battery and the a5 and I an upgrading from my 4..not to say I am not completely happy with this ios 5 beta on my iphone 4 it's more of a need (sickness) to have to upgrade to the new iphone model.
    06-18-2011 04:38 AM
    Oh better battery life would be totally awesome. Like my old Nokia where it can go for a week without charging. How I miss those days.
    06-18-2011 04:39 AM
    Better reception
    I would say that's more of an AT&T thing. You don't nearly hear as much of the reception issues outside the US.

With the switch to Qualcomm for the baseband, I suspect reception will get better. Not markedly, but enough to be appreciated.
    06-18-2011 10:52 PM
    oh the arrogance ! Dude, shut up. A new iPhone WILL come out and eventually you WILL have an ' obsolete ' iPhone. Get over it and get a life.
    06-19-2011 02:39 PM
    You just wait until Apple pulls something we're not expecting out from under their sleeve and gives that feature to the iPhone 5 exclusively
    06-19-2011 06:16 PM
    I hope Apple will have a redesign for iPhone this time instead of just having an upgraded iPhone 4.
    06-22-2011 05:36 AM
    There is lot of new features which will force to me upgrade
    06-24-2011 02:54 AM
    So Bloomberg, which has been fairly accurate and truthful in years past with iPhone news, has basically said that this phone will be chalk full of new features on TOP of being majorly redesigned physically...and that we'll see it in early September. This is pretty exciting because they typically don't release such definite information if they don't have proof...like with the iPhone 4 last year when they reported it would have a glass casing and people were like riiiiiiiiiiggggghhhht...ignored it, and then sure enough, we had a glass iPhone 4.
    06-24-2011 07:06 AM
    You just wait until Apple pulls something we're not expecting out from under their sleeve and gives that feature to the iPhone 5 exclusively
    Hells yeah it's gonna happen. There one thing that's gonna drive everybody nuts to the point where they're gonna switch.

I'm excited for the iPhone 5, but I'm gonna sit this one out. I'm happy with my unicorn- I got the white iPhone 4 when it came out and it's got this mystique about it since it took forever to come out.
    06-24-2011 07:21 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD