iPhone 4 owners, tell us about your iOS 7.1 experience!

Richard Devine

iMore staff
Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
So, iOS 7.1 supposedly (according to Apple) makes improvements to the experience on the iPhone 4.

So, iPhone 4 owners, once you've had chance to play with it, let us know what it's really like!

BSUNesto

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Facebook has A LOT less lag while using the app.

Shazam with iOS 7 - open app, wait 25 seconds until app responded, close app because song you wanted to Shazam is now over.
Shazam with iOS 7.1 - open app, wait 4-6 seconds, click listen button, wait 3 seconds, view song name.

Overall UI is much snappier. Things process much faster and switching between apps is smoother. So far I'm happy with the update.

Nerd

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Going to go get my old iphone 4 from my mom who isn't using it and update it this weekend. I'll update after I have had some time to play with it.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

NicosNicolaou

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
So, iOS 7.1 supposedly (according to Apple) makes improvements to the experience on the iPhone 4.

So, iPhone 4 owners, once you've had chance to play with it, let us know what it's really like!

There are some lags and when I open some apps I wait 3 sec!
But it's much better than before!!!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

davide2768

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
I lost all aero look of the icons and folders but the overall performances have improved. If it was the price to pay for it, it's wort it.

mzsldi09

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
So far no good. Did update and now don't have a phone. When I do see the slider bar to open the phone the screen is unresponsive. The phone then reboots for quite a long time then goes black. I can't access the phone. Poor QA. Hope I can recover. Anyone else??

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Short of the bolder text on the keyboard (and the counter-intuitive Shift key), I'm not seeing any difference in operation or quality of built-in apps. Might be some additional lag in opening apps or in inputting text, but we'll see if a few days and a few hard reboots to get 'ducks in a row' improves that at all.

But frankly, iOS is the least of Apple's worries when it comes to a smartphone - even if the OS is, essentially, 7 years old. Hardware / user experience needs a serious goosing with next iPhone to play catch-up to competition.

Last edited:

onggeo

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Messed up my phone. Apps won't open. App store does but it just crashes and won't update apps. Restarted the phone thrice still no improvement, trying to avoid factory resetting as much as possible (still have flappy bird installed lol). Weird because it was working perfectly fine when I updated it last night, now it just doesn't work. I can't even open settings. (I think I should open up a new thread, will do in a while)

Teemu2

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
It's breathed new life into my 4. The animations are definitely faster. For instance, I can begin scrolling in an app almost immediately after switching to it. If you're on iOS 7, then there is no reason not to update to 7.1 IMO.

norulesjustgo

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Since updating to iOS 7.1, my phone is totally usable again! No more lagging. I click on an app and it opens right away. Animations are faster. Much better experience. Before I couldn't wait to get rid of my phone, now I can live with it a little longer.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I've used an iPhone 4 on both 7.0.6/7.1, and didn't see much of a difference. There's a lot of unresponsiveness attempting basic functions, like navigating the settings, answering texts etc. If I was stuck with a 4, it's definitely usable. It's still a phone that functions damn near perfectly with anything you throw at it, even if it is a bit slow.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
just moved into 7 series straight from 6.1.3 to 7.1.1 seems ok, nothing special or useful found so far, nasty wishy washy colour scheme, but I knew that. Speed, very slightly slower, Yawn....

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app