The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (2)

Handita Okviyanto

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I have iPhone 4 with iOS 6 installed. But when I try to update to iOS 7 (7.0.4) from the latest iOS from the server I got from the iTunes. I got such error

I have read the document about this error at apple manual but not help till now and I'm still stuck at recovery mode forever.

Errors related to third-party security software
Error 2, 4 (or -4), 6, 1000, 9006
Follow the steps to troubleshoot security software. Often, uninstalling third-party security software will resolve these errors.
There may be third-party software that modifies your default packet size in Windows by inserting a TcpWindowSize entry into your registry. An incorrectly set default packet size can cause these errors. Contact the manufacturer of the software that installed the packet size modification for assistance or follow this article by Microsoft: How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
Verify that access to ports 80 and 443 are allowed on your network.
Verify that communication to albert.apple.com or phobos.apple.com isn't blocked by a firewall or other Internet security setting.
Discard the .ipsw file, open iTunes and attempt to download the update again. See the steps under "Advanced steps > Rename, move, or delete the iOS software file (.ipsw)" below for file locations.
Restore your device while connected to a different network.
Restore using a different computer.

THe error like this :
iphone.PNG

And it stucks at proses Restoring iPhone Firmware ..

Anyone can help me? my iPhone 4 still can not be restored until now :(

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
1. Turn the device off.
2. Put it in DFU mode.
3. connect it to your computer via USB
4. Initiate the computer's iTunes app
5. iTunes will detect your device in recovery mode and prompt you to restore it. Do so.

If you have problems with Apple's servers, download the ipsw file from the iMore blog section or via iclarified and redo steps 1 - 4. When iTunes detect your device in recovery mode, click on the shift or options key and then select restore. Direct iTunes to the ipsw file you downloaded so it can install it.

Handita Okviyanto

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
1. Turn the device off.
2. Put it in DFU mode.
3. connect it to your computer via USB
4. Initiate the computer's iTunes app
5. iTunes will detect your device in recovery mode and prompt you to restore it. Do so.

If you have problems with Apple's servers, download the ipsw file from the iMore blog section or via iclarified and redo steps 1 - 4. When iTunes detect your device in recovery mode, click on the shift or options key and then select restore. Direct iTunes to the ipsw file you downloaded so it can install it.

I also trying from DFU mode and no success.. I have trying this more than 10 times and still get that error. How can I do now with my iPhone?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Tap on one of the two below links to manually download the latest ipsw file onto your computer. Make sure you match the correct ipsw file for your device. Afterwards, restart the process I outlined above, but after IiTunes detect that your device is in recovery and prompts you to restore, click on the shift key (Windows) or options key (Mac) while also clicking on "restore". This will allow you to select the ipsw file you just downloaded and have it installed onto your device and thereby updating it to latest iOS version for your device.

iOS 7 firmware files | iMore

iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
1. Reboot your computer
2. Install or re-install the "LATEST" iTunes version.
3. Retry the steps outlined in my initial post
4. If it still won't install, try it on a different computer, preferably a Mac.
5. If it still doesn't work, make an appointment with the nearest Apple Store, if available, or an authorized Apple repair shop.

Patrick Sapitula

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
My error is slightly different - The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3)

What worked for me was I used my original 4s cable and did the same steps in the trail. From DFU, it went all the way past the Updating Firmware. Its worth a try if you want.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Sounds very similar to the problem I had with my old 80GB iPod classic late last year. I tried restoring it repeatedly to no avail. I finally concluded that it was dead. Thank goodness for my 160GB iPod. Hope you're able to fix the problem with your iPhone.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

Disable your antivirus AND firewall. Sometimes this prevents the software from being downloaded successfully. I encountered this and after much troubleshooting, I found that temporarily disabling the antivirus solved it for me.

Good luck. Don't do anything else with your computer while restoring since the antivirus & firewalls will be disabled.

jimmychanga666

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Nope, erase the ipsw from your computer going in through your c drive documents and settings/<user>/app data/roaming/apple computer/iTunes/iPhone software updates.. Erase that then try to restore. Will work perfectly

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk