iPhone 4 - encryption issue, forgot password

stockingsgirl

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I have just got the iPhone 4, I have tried to restore from my back up? However it appears that I have ticked the encryption box when I set up my 3GS, as this was 4 years ago, I do not remember putting any password In, so I cannot restore my phone, without discovering the password. Any ideas please?

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Is it actually password protected? I thought that just meant that the backup was encrypted on your pc so the backup couldn't be pulled off your computer and used on a different computer.

stockingsgirl

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Is it actually password protected? I thought that just meant that the backup was encrypted on your pc so the backup couldn't be pulled off your computer and used on a different computer.

I thought the same, however it isn't, apparently according to Apple I need the password, otherwise I cannot restore my new phone, with everything I have on the back up, I don't even remember putting a password in, and I have tried every combination I can thi k of.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

No. My iTunes backup are encrypted and if I attempt to restore using the backup(s), I am prompted for the password I initially set up when I opted to have my backups encrypted.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have just got the iPhone 4, I have tried to restore from my back up? However it appears that I have ticked the encryption box when I set up my 3GS, as this was 4 years ago, I do not remember putting any password In, so I cannot restore my phone, without discovering the password. Any ideas please?

Have you ever backed up your device via iCloud, if applicable? If so, you should be able to restore to your iPhone 4 using one of your iCloud backups.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
That stinks!
How long ago was your initial encrypted backup? Perhaps it was a different password time in your life! Lol
My first password was banana, then I moved on to apple, then I went all alphanumerical! Now I'm rocking alphanumeric with caps and symbols!
But maybe it was something different for you when you first started it

stockingsgirl

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
That stinks!
How long ago was your initial encrypted backup? Perhaps it was a different password time in your life! Lol
My first password was banana, then I moved on to apple, then I went all alphanumerical! Now I'm rocking alphanumeric with caps and symbols!
But maybe it was something different for you when you first started it
. I have tried everything I can think of

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Well what are you most worried about losing? Maybe you're just gonna have to bite the bullet on this one :(

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi thanks I have backed up using iCloud, but it stills asks or the encryption password?

Really? Type in your iTunes/iCloud password and see if you can bypass it. Hopefully, it will work. If not, I don't know what else to tell you, my friend.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro