Is the iphone 4 still worth getting?

lafountain

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone, new guy here. I am asking on behalf of a friend who is looking to get a new phone. He would prefer to get a free phone for his upgrade and was asking me about the iphone 4, now me being an Android user (please don't hate me too much), I wasn't able to really offer a ton of information other than the iphone 4 is a good device. My question is with the 4s, and the 5 now out, is it still worth getting the 4 if you want to get a free phone?

iphonefizzle

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
If you want a free iPhone on contract yes if you want to pay 49.00 the 4s is choice the prices I am quoting are AT&T premier account

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
if 99 dollars is out of the question for him ( which is fine ) the 4 is a good device but keep in mind it will soon be out of IOS upgrades..

lafountain

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
So other than not being able to use Apple Maps for turn by turn, will advise him to just download the mapquest app based on what I have read, and not being able to use Siri, are there any other things that will be unavailable?

I am pretty much his local tech support, so just wanting to have an idea of what to expect if he gets the 4.

ridiculocity

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I recently upgraded from a 4 to a iPhone 5. I'd spend the extra to get a 4s if not getting a 5 because my 4 was so sluggish on ios6 it was unbearable.

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I recently upgraded from a 4 to a iPhone 5. I'd spend the extra to get a 4s if not getting a 5 because my 4 was so sluggish on ios6 it was unbearable.

I agree 100%. I did the same thing. The 4 was so sluggish I couldn't take it anymore. But that's just me. I'd go for the 4S at least if possible.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't even consider the 4 at this point -- even "free." $100 for the 4S and then another $100 at that point for the low end 5 is not much considering the actual cost of the carrier contract.

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the 4 still as I can't find any 5's yet but I'm running iOS6 and not having any issues with it being sluggish? I have had the phone for almost 2 years now best phone I have had so far.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

ThaKrazyOne

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I am still rockin a 4 at this moment, but I have it on iOS 5.1.1 right now with no plans on upgrading to iOS 6. If you want the 4, see if you can get one that is still on iOS 5 for stability sake. If you can plunk down 99 bucks then go for the 4S on either iOS 5 or 6.

lafountain

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info, may point him to this thread to take a look at what has been said. Figure the 4s might be his upper limit, but he really liked the free part.

IAmSixNine

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I just went from a 4 to a 4S and i did notice a difference in responsiveness of the device.
Sure its not a 5 but i dont use my iPhone that much.. But realistically the 4 is a good device, but the 4S is better. If a 5 is out of budget and a 4S is, go with the 4s.

- - - Updated - - -

I just went from a 4 to a 4S and i did notice a difference in responsiveness of the device.
Sure its not a 5 but i dont use my iPhone that much.. But realistically the 4 is a good device, but the 4S is better. If a 5 is out of budget and a 4S is, go with the 4s.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

No doubt about it. If you can get the 4S, get it!

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
If a "free" phone is what your friend wants.... you can't get better.

- - - Updated - - -

If a "free" phone is what your friend wants.... you can't get better.

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 4 is still a decent phone. I am still using that because I'm w-a-i-t-i-n-g for my iPhone 5 to arrive. I have iOS 6 on my 4 and I have not had any issues with it being sluggish. There are a few bugs but I think that's from the OS itself and not due to it being on the 4. It's still plenty capable! However, it's already two generations behind. While it probably will get the next round of big software updates (like the 3GS now), it is going to be unsupported very soon. I would recommend the 4S if the 5 is out of question, but if your friend needs it to be free...well, you have your answer.

- - - Updated - - -

The iPhone 4 is still a decent phone. I am still using that because I'm w-a-i-t-i-n-g for my iPhone 5 to arrive. I have iOS 6 on my 4 and I have not had any issues with it being sluggish. There are a few bugs but I think that's from the OS itself and not due to it being on the 4. It's still plenty capable! However, it's already two generations behind. While it probably will get the next round of big software updates (like the 3GS now), it is going to be unsupported very soon. I would recommend the 4S if the 5 is out of question, but if your friend needs it to be free...well, you have your answer.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
IMO a free iPhone 4 is better than no iPhone. However, if they can afford the cost of the iPhone 4s I think that is a better value.

IAmAuthority

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Personally, spending a little more money for the 4S is no doubt well worth it. The 4 is a great phone, but it lacks in specific areas such as camera and Siri. For the $50 to $75 more you would spend, you're getting the 4S with a better camera, better chip, and Siri.

The changes that occurred between the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S were substantial enough to warrant a $50 price increase.

Free is free though!

pcgizmo#IM

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Personally, spending a little more money for the 4S is no doubt well worth it. The 4 is a great phone, but it lacks in specific areas such as camera and Siri. For the $50 to $75 more you would spend, you're getting the 4S with a better camera, better chip, and Siri.

The changes that occurred between the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S were substantial enough to warrant a $50 price increase.

Free is free though!

I just wasn't up for spending $100 for the 4s. I spent more than that on the Bold 9930 I'm leaving less than a year ago. Like you said free is free, and if I don't like the iphone I'm not really out much more than the stupid $30 upgrade fee.

IAmAuthority

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Good choice! I came to Apple from BlackBerry and it was a good change of pace. I think if you're coming from a BlackBerry, the iPhone 4 is going to be plenty-enough. Its a good phone to learn iOS on.

Either way, good luck in whatever you chose. Welcome to the Apple family!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods