APPROXIMATELY (I know you can't say EXACT) how many pictures (not video) from an iPhone4 would 4gb's be??

My daughter (don't think I need to add teenage to that) has a little over 1G left on her 32G iPhone 4 and she will not get her new phone (iPhone 5) until her birthday in November. I would like to get a bunch of her pics and transfer them to a CD or flash drive. When I tried the flash drive, it kept telling me there wasn't enough space. I DEFINATLY do not have the patients to keep trying with less pics until I get it right.

Thanks in advance!
    09-16-2012 07:45 AM
    I am not even close to being a math whiz, but I will give it a shot.

I will 'assume' the photos are saved in jpg format. Now, the iPhone 4 has a 5 to 5.3 megapixel camera, I think, and if each photo was taken at that resolution then each photo *should* be around 1.5MB in size. Remember, I'm not a math whiz so I could be way off the mark, but I'm trying. Lol. Now, 1,024 MB equals 1 GB so therefore, 4,096 MB equals 4 GB. Right? Lord, i hope I'm doing this right . If you divide 4,096 MB by 1.5 MB, you should get around 2,730 which should be the approximate amount of photos.
    09-16-2012 08:19 AM
    How are you trying to transfer them? If you're moving them to a computer first you should be able to see exactly how big the transfer is.

Easier: just buy a bigger flash drive if you don't want to try fewer pics.
    09-16-2012 09:21 AM
    Ummm JustMe'D..............all I can say is WOW !!

Massie, I had her phone connected to the PC. I pulled up the the photos in "view files". But I could not get them to copy to the flash drive. And I KNOW I was copying waaaayyyyyy less than 2,730. If I had to guess, I probably only had less than a 100 at a time. I kept getting an error message saying there was not enough space. I know there was cause it was a brand new flash drive.
    09-16-2012 11:30 AM
    Maybe try saving them to the pc first, and then from the pc to the flash drive. Good luck!
    Lisacj likes this.
    09-16-2012 12:26 PM
    Thank you Massie, I'll give that a try!
    09-16-2012 12:29 PM
    Ummm JustMe'D..............all I can say is WOW !!

Massie, I had her phone connected to the PC. I pulled up the the photos in "view files". But I could not get them to copy to the flash drive. And I KNOW I was copying waaaayyyyyy less than 2,730. If I had to guess, I probably only had less than a 100 at a time. I kept getting an error message saying there was not enough space. I know there was cause it was a brand new flash drive.
    I told you I wasn't a math whiz
    09-16-2012 02:46 PM
    Maybe try saving them to the pc first, and then from the pc to the flash drive. Good luck!
    This should work. Wouldn't it be easier just to leave them on the HD until November though?

Sent from an iPhone4s with Tapatalk
    09-16-2012 04:03 PM
    It most definatly would, but I will be using the work computer.....my desktop is alleging it's out of space and my laptop motherboard fried! ๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข
    09-16-2012 04:10 PM
    It most definatly would, but I will be using the work computer.....my desktop is alleging it's out of space and my laptop motherboard fried! ๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข
    Ouch. You could add a second drive. It's easy and cheap nowadays. That's what I did and store all my music/photos etc on a secondary drive with Windows and programs on the primary.

Sent from an iPhone4s with Tapatalk
    09-16-2012 04:21 PM
    heres what i would/usually do. hook the phone up to the computer. open itunes, and view the status bar at the bottom to see how many total GB's the pics take up. then use the "view files" in mass storage mode to copy/paste the whole pictures folder to the computers desktop. you can then click on the properties and see the total size. then open the folder and highlight a ton of photos until you get close to 4GB. however, if i were you, why not just leave them in the the folder on the computer as opposed to putting them on a flash drive? if you insist, 16/32/64 GB drives can be purchased. i just have a portable 100GB and 500GB backup drives for storage needs.
    09-16-2012 09:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD