The 4s I found has a black screen with white Apple

nhawlman

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
My posting yesterday brought 150 views, but no replies.
So I assume it must be connected to a phone company to function.
Is there some way I could use only the Camera feature?

Is there any way I could find the owner?
Is there a market for used phones?

Thanks again

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If you found a iPhone the best thing to do would be to take into the wireless carriers store if you know it. Or take it into an Apple store if there is one in your area. They'll know how to track down the owner.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
More than likely the owner has reported it lost, then if they were a smart user they remotely wiped it. This meaning for you it is a paper weight.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried plugging it into a computer and clicking Restore in iTunes? You'll need an iPhone cable to do it though.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way I could find the owner?
Is there a market for used phones?

Have you tried plugging it into a computer and clicking Restore in iTunes? You'll need an iPhone cable to do it though.

I hope it doesn't work. The OP hasn't even tried to find the owner yet, why should he/she be assisted with using it? On another forum that I am on a thread started about how to use a lost/stolen iPhone would get locked.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Call apple with serial #.....they will find the owner. You will have done the right thing and likely get a little something for your effort.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I hope it doesn't work. The OP hasn't even tried to find the owner yet, why should he/she be assisted with using it? On another forum that I am on a thread started about how to use a lost/stolen iPhone would get locked.

While I usually agree, the OP's other post mentioned something about trying to return the phone and not hearing anything for several weeks. At some point, I think it's fair to start using the device.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
While I usually agree, the OP's other post mentioned something about trying to return the phone and not hearing anything for several weeks. At some point, I think it's fair to start using the device.

If the original owner made an insurance claim, the device in question belongs to the insurance company that paid a claim, and it's not "fair" to help someone make use of something that is not rightfully theirs.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
If the original owner made an insurance claim, the device in question belongs to the insurance company that paid a claim, and it's not "fair" to help someone make use of something that is not rightfully theirs.

Ok...I'm not going to claim to know every legal in and out of it, but in broad strokes the Lost and Found Property laws (at least where I live) simply require someone who finds lost property to report it found. If after a certain length of time the original owner has not come forward to claim it, it then becomes the property of the person who found it--it does in fact become "rightfully theirs." (I used to run a movie theater where we had to deal with this fairly regularly.) If an insurance company wants to claim it, it's up to them to do so; the person who found it isn't obligated to track down an insurance company that may or may not have a claim on it.

So at some point it's not only fair, but perfectly legal, as I understand it. It's true though that in this case I don't know how long that waiting period is for the OP--something worth calling the local PD about.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
not possible for re-programming, etc?

Yes with restore or hold home button while phone is off and plug into iTunes it will go to recovery ..

Depending on the carrier it could be blocked from being used if the original owner reported it lost like Verizon and sprint

Check the sim card in the side if it's a 4s it will have a sim of the carrier then then u can know where to go from there If you want to turn it in .. Keep it or whatever

nhawlman

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
no cables

It does not appear to have a USB connection.
I have no iphone cables or itunes - whatever that is.
The battery is dead now.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Loosing an iPhone is like loosing a wallet or purse. The op should turn it in.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more with ya. If I lost my phone I would hope the person that found it would do the right thing by turning it in.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

He just posted that he started a thread that people looked at and didnt reply. Do the right thing and return. You know what they say about karma

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
He just posted that he started a thread that people looked at and didnt reply. Do the right thing and return. You know what they say about karma

If you go read that thread you'll see that the op reported finding the phone found several weeks ago and has had no response from anyone looking for it. That is what I was talking about.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
If you go read that thread you'll see that the op reported finding the phone found several weeks ago and has had no response from anyone looking for it. That is what I was talking about.

I understood what he was saying but if I lost my iPhone I would want the person to return it to a store. I wouldn't search through forums to see if someone found it.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I ride a bike 15 miles a day on a very busy highway.
I found an iPhone 4s at a Roadside Rest.
I showed it to the custodian in case the owner looked for it.
But that was weeks ago.

I would like to use it on the Internet
to check my gmail and search the net
from a local wifi.

What must I do to use it without the phone function?

Thanks a lot,
Nancy

http://forums.imore.com/iphone-4-forum/238696-i-am-deaf-i-need-help.html

Massie, the quote above is the OP from the first thread. The part which I highlighted in red is what I have an issue with. Nancy or the OP states that she only showed the iPhone to the "Custodian". The iPhone wasn't taken to the local police as it should have been. Most people including myself who have lost valuable items don't go to a custodian, but rather the police or security if it's available. I stand by what I posted earlier that the only advice that should be given is to turn that iPhone in....

Reactions: phreddyl

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods