Hi My wife has a VZW iPhone 4 and we will be traveling to Europe later this year. Although the voice & data will not work (CDMA), will the GPS still receive? I was wondering about using off-line maps (i.e., City Maps 2Go).

TIA - Tom
    07-27-2012 07:36 AM
    Hi My wife has a VZW iPhone 4 and we will be traveling to Europe later this year. Although the voice & data will not work (CDMA), will the GPS still receive? I was wondering about using off-line maps (i.e., City Maps 2Go).

TIA - Tom
    It has been my experience that the Verizon iPhone needs a working connection to a cellular network for the GPS receiver in the phone to work properly. You'd need an external GPS receiver that can connect to the iPhone via bluetooth or the iPhone 30 pin port.
    07-27-2012 08:50 AM
    It has been my experience that the Verizon iPhone needs a working connection to a cellular network for the GPS receiver in the phone to work properly. You'd need an external GPS receiver that can connect to the iPhone via bluetooth or the iPhone 30 pin port.
    I remember when I got my first phone from VZW it would not activate because of some "clerical issue" at VZW where they didn't apply the upgrade discount to the phone, even though they sold it to me at the discount price... ANYWAY, it was a glorified iPod touch, wifi and cameras, however, the google maps feature worked extremely well, which I never understood. Maybe just because I was around a business district with a lot of wifi connections...? Or maybe the gps was working! Also I was in the US... Just
    My personal experience, however, it may be relevant to your question!
    07-27-2012 11:24 AM
    If using wifi - map apps may work ok. Or not. I know when I had the Verizon iPhone 4, if I was in a crappy cell signal area, map apps didn't work well unless I was using my BadElf GPS receiver plugged into the 30 pin port. The BadElf will work when the phone is in Airplane mode and the phone's GPS does not work in Airplane mode.
    07-27-2012 11:30 AM
    Thx for the info. I found the below thread on the Apple boards which indicates it should work if I connect to WiFi upon arriving in an area so the AGPS cab update itself. If not, I do a have a XGS150 which I use w/ my WiFI only iPad.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
    07-27-2012 06:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD