Data usage when on wifi

johnkey

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If I am at home where I have a wireless newtork and the wifi setting on the phone is set to ON, does data usage count towards your Verizon alllowance?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
As long as your device is connected to WiFi your data usage does not count toward your cellular data allotment.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

MooPenguin32

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Irish Rose is correct. If you're concerned about using mobile data, just make sure you have a good Wi-Fi connection. You certainly don't want to think you're on Wi-Fi and it turns out your connection dropped because of a weak signal. As long as you see the Wi-Fi icon in the status bar where you usually see the 3G indicator, you're good.

MooPenguin32

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
The one thing that kinda stinks about the iPhone is that if you are not actively using the Wi-Fi data connection, such as downloading an app, then it will turn off after the phone goes to sleep. I'm not sure how long the phone has to be asleep for the Wi-Fi turns off, but it does not stay on constantly like it does on the iPad. I wish Apple would provide an option to change this as I would like to constantly stay on Wi-Fi rather than jump between Wi-Fi and 3G.

maraneric

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
The one thing that kinda stinks about the iPhone is that if you are not actively using the Wi-Fi data connection, such as downloading an app, then it will turn off after the phone goes to sleep. I'm not sure how long the phone has to be asleep for the Wi-Fi turns off, but it does not stay on constantly like it does on the iPad. I wish Apple would provide an option to change this as I would like to constantly stay on Wi-Fi rather than jump between Wi-Fi and 3G.

You can disable cellular data in the settings app to restrict data to wifi-only

MooPenguin32

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
You can disable cellular data in the settings app to restrict data to wifi-only

That's true. Just kind of a pain if I want to stay on Wi-Fi until I exit the area it's available in and have the phone automatically go back to cellular data. Especially since the toggles are buried in the Settings app.

AkashBR

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes disabling cellular data is the only solution to make sure the cellular data is not used. If you keep both ON at the same time, your battery will also be drained.... It will try to capture cellular and wifi at the same time in case one is lost

So Disabling will make sense

Reactions: johnkey

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods