iOS 6 Screws Us

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
As a former iPhone 3G owner who suffered through the first 6 months of iOS 4, I am sensitive to the idea of keeping features disabled if they'll significantly affect the user experience.

That said, I agree with the OP. And I'd like to add that it is absolutely ridiculous that the iPhone 3GS will be getting iOS 6 (even in a feature-gutted form), but the first generation iPad is being left behind completely. What the hell is up with that?

jlamb0, I agree with you...I would never want a version of iOS or features that my phone couldn't handle. It wouldn't be worth it to load it with features that are just going to kill the phone, and this is an argument some have about the new upgrade. However, apps and jailbreaking (like everyone says to do) proves that the 4 CAN handle navigation. Maybe not the 3d modeling...that's fine, keep it...I don't need or want that. Same with siri. Turn by turn navigation, I feel, is a feature that should be (and could easily be) added to the 3gs and up.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The CPUs between the iPhone 4 & 4S are a generation apart. Beyond just the computational power, both wifi & cellular data are much faster on the 4S. These are all critical to Apple's new maps app, which will feature graphically intense 3D modeling as well as Siri integration for the turn-by-turn directions. Unfortunately, with the competition to make smartphones perform more traditional computer tasks, the growth in software resources is quickly growing beyond the ability of the older hardware. That 4 generations of iPhone will run iOS 6 is an achievement itself, even though a few of the 200 new features are not supported by older hardware. In comparison, 70% of Android devices are left running Gingerbread, circa iOS 3 old. Most iOS devices run are running iOS 5, the current version. Although neither platform is perfect, iOS devices receive more OS upgrades than Android devices, which typically won't qualify for OS upgrades during the first year of ownership

Chees !

Well stated, Sandman619. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
As a former iPhone 3G owner who suffered through the first 6 months of iOS 4, I am sensitive to the idea of keeping features disabled if they'll significantly affect the user experience.

That said, I agree with the OP. And I'd like to add that it is absolutely ridiculous that the iPhone 3GS will be getting iOS 6 (even in a feature-gutted form), but the first generation iPad is being left behind completely. What the hell is up with that?

Yea, that one confuses me a bit too. I don't think the raw power of the iPad 1 is much different from that of the iTouch 4 and yet the iTouch 4 is being updated. In fact the iPad has more raw power because it's chip runs at full speed instead of being underclocked like the iTouch 4.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
The CPUs between the iPhone 4 & 4S are a generation apart. Beyond just the computational power, both wifi & cellular data are much faster on the 4S. These are all critical to Apple's new maps app, which will feature graphically intense 3D modeling as well as Siri integration for the turn-by-turn directions. Unfortunately, with the competition to make smartphones perform more traditional computer tasks, the growth in software resources is quickly growing beyond the ability of the older hardware. That 4 generations of iPhone will run iOS 6 is an achievement itself, even though a few of the 200 new features are not supported by older hardware. In comparison, 70% of Android devices are left running Gingerbread, circa iOS 3 old. Most iOS devices run are running iOS 5, the current version. Although neither platform is perfect, iOS devices receive more OS upgrades than Android devices, which typically won't qualify for OS upgrades during the first year of ownership

Chees !

Well stated, Sandman619. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

While the "older hardware" explanation does make sense for some things, I have a very hard time believing it in this case, again because that same hardware can already run 3rd party apps that provide turn-by-turn functionality. I find it difficult to believe that a bunch of 3rd party companies are doing something that Apple can't. They can do it, they simply won't.

That said, I do understand that it's business as usual. But it's a bit insulting to be offered such transparent excuses when evidence to the contrary is in plain sight.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I hear ya, and I agree. However, if a watered-down version of the os upgrade can be released, why not a watered-down version of the new map app? I have an iphone 4...I don't need Siri, and I don't need 3D modeling. Why can't navigation be released without the 3d modeling feature and siri?

I guess another point of view many have (myself included sometimes), is that they would much rather use and trust a native application instead of a third party app from the app store...especially an app that is helping you NOT get lost! I have had many apps downloaded which would constantly freeze up, or fail in some way; I feel that having turn by turn in the native app is less likely to crap out on you in times of need.

I agree with this sentiment. They can make a watered down version of some of the iOS 6 features without pushing everything to the device and turn by turn is a feature that makes the 3GS and 4 competitive with the capabilities of lower end Android phones. It's such a common feature on other phones that to deny it to users that have come to iOS within the last 6-8 months and will have that phone or another year and half is poor customer service on Apples part.

Siri is still just a niche feature set that makes sense for their more recent phones but is not essential to having a good experience with iOS.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...(snipped)... I find it difficult to believe that a bunch of 3rd party companies are doing something that Apple can't. They can do it, they simply won't.
I agree.

That said, I do understand that it's business as usual. But it's a bit insulting to be offered such transparent excuses when evidence to the contrary is in plain sight.
No doubt. At the same time, because they really have no competition at the moment, they can easily fall into the trap of thinking that they do not need to provide certain things and simply leave it to 3rd party developers to do. Think about it. It is not a loss to them because people are still buying their devices and I am *assuming* they get a cut from each app sold in their App Store.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

Probably because apple still sells 3GS but doesn't sell iPad 1 anymore.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I understand that there are apps for that, and it can be achieved by jailbreaking...but my point is this is something that shouldn't require a third pary app or a jailbreak (at least not now that it is available for a few apple devices).

If I am not mistaken, turn-by-turn navigation came with every android OS since the beginning, and on every device whether it was a cheapy, entry level device, or the greatest, fastest device to date. I can totally understand if apple doesn't want to add the 3d aspect of the new maps to the iPhone 4 and lower, but simple turn-by-turn should be added...even to the 3gs.

Replace turn-by-turn navigation with MMS in your post and you sound exactly like ten thousand other posts from 2007. Get over it; if it's that import get an app that does it or buy Android.

At least your phone will still work. Two years ago iOS 4 made most people's iPhone 3G completely unusable. You will just not have a feature or two.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
While the "older hardware" explanation does make sense for some things, I have a very hard time believing it in this case, again because that same hardware can already run 3rd party apps that provide turn-by-turn functionality. I find it difficult to believe that a bunch of 3rd party companies are doing something that Apple can't. They can do it, they simply won't.

Thank you!! I obviously couldn't have said it better myself!

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Replace turn-by-turn navigation with MMS in your post and you sound exactly like ten thousand other posts from 2007. Get over it; if it's that import get an app that does it or buy Android.

At least your phone will still work. Two years ago iOS 4 made most people's iPhone 3G completely unusable. You will just not have a feature or two.

Really buddy? You had to waste your time looking through a post you already knew you were going shoot down and then actually respond to it? If you don't agree, either add something to the conversation or just keep your mouth shut. God forbid someone doesn't agree with something that apple does! And maybe read through the posts before you comment...you'd see that your little jab is a bit off.

I love people like you...die hard apple fans that ***** and moan when someone questions the littlest thing about the company or the products. Same answer for everything..."get over it or get a different phone". You're just like the Catholic church...someone questions anything, and they are told "because that's how it is". For how much money I spend with Apple, their apps, their products, etc., I would think these "features or two" that are so small should be offered to us.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Really buddy? You had to waste your time looking through a post you already knew you were going shoot down and then actually respond to it? If you don't agree, either add something to the conversation or just keep your mouth shut. God forbid someone doesn't agree with something that apple does! And maybe read through the posts before you comment...you'd see that your little jab is a bit off.

I love people like you...die hard apple fans that ***** and moan when someone questions the littlest thing about the company or the products. Same answer for everything..."get over it or get a different phone". You're just like the Catholic church...someone questions anything, and they are told "because that's how it is". For how much money I spend with Apple, their apps, their products, etc., I would think these "features or two" that are so small should be offered to us.

Wow... this from the guy that told me to chill-ax up the thread. smh. :confused: :(

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
This should go to the "things you hate" thread... you know, you have a good little discussion going and then some people have to come along an pee in the punchbowl.

How about we stop the bickering and personal attacks and just discuss the topic at hand? Why does everything have to turn personal?

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This should go to the "things you hate" thread... you know, you have a good little discussion going and then some people have to come along an pee in the punchbowl.

How about we stop the bickering and personal attacks and just discuss the topic at hand? Why does everything have to turn personal?

Totally agree, and while maybe I shouldn't have responded to the last dude, it is frustrating trying to start a topic debate and have people shoot in with dumb little comments. I mean, if I paid for something (and constantly pay monthly and per app for it), then why shouldn't I be annoyed if I get left out?

The whole point of this post was to discuss this...hear people's different takes. And many have been good; I have heard arguments for both sides that hold water. But to hop on and tell people to stop complaining and get a different phone...? Really?

kch50428 made a comment, I said something back and it's done! I hear what he is saying, but his comment wasn't that bad....annoying at the time, yes...but I like to think he and I are not gong to verbally bash each other every time we come across each other on this site! (Correct me if I am wrong, so I can get my defense ready...!!)

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Apple introduces new features based upon the 2 year carrier renewal model. As long as you follow that and upgrade to the latest every renewal, you'll never be left out. When the new iPhone debuts, the 4 will be over 2 years old and need renewal.

The only reason I see for Apple keeping iOS6 for the 3Gs and 4 is to transition those to prepaid models, like we have seen announced recently.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
kch50428 made a comment, I said something back and it's done! I hear what he is saying, but his comment wasn't that bad....annoying at the time, yes...but I like to think he and I are not gong to verbally bash each other every time we come across each other on this site! (Correct me if I am wrong, so I can get my defense ready...!!)

How I see you:

1XJS-Ia0nUa7kdjYdGTL_w2.jpg

:D

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Apple introduces new features based upon the 2 year carrier renewal model. As long as you follow that and upgrade to the latest every renewal, you'll never be left out. When the new iPhone debuts, the 4 will be over 2 years old and need renewal.

The only reason I see for Apple keeping iOS6 for the 3Gs and 4 is to transition those to prepaid models, like we have seen announced recently.

I get what you're saying, and I know that apple feels the same way...but I totally disagree. Only certain people "need" to renew their phone every year, but not everyone.