iOS 6 Screws Us

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
iOS 6 lacking on 4

So my girlfriend came over to the iphone from android a month or so ago (after a lot of convincing), and loves the phone. The only thing she thought was dumb was that the iPhone didn't offer free turn-by-turn GPS (we use MapQuest). After reading about the new features in iOS 6, I ran to her to tell her the good news.....turn-by-turn is coming.

Then today, I see that the iPhone 4 is not getting this feature, and a few others. I am not too happy with this. Crappy, bottom of the barrel Android phones do turn-by-turn, voice to text, etc, well. The iPhone 4 is much more powerful than many of those, and we can't get it without jailbreaking.

I edited this post to not seem as whinny or angry. These aren't huge issues for me personally, but still are somewhat frustrating.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Whether owners of the iPhone 4 and earlier models are "getting screwed" is debatable. Like time, technology continues to progress and not everyone and every device will progress with it. The iPhone 4 was introduced in 2010 and thus, it 'may' not have the power to function in the manner befitting an iPhone with iOS 6 installed. I'm not saying that is the case because I do not know, but I know at some point in time, my iPhone 4S will be obsolete. That's just the way it is. ;)

By the way, I was a big MapQuest app user until I gave Waze a try and I love it so much more. Give it a try.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yea, I think I remember seeing you trying out that Waze app in another post. Im pretty sure I asked you about it...totally forgot to see if there was a response!

I will have to check it out though.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I guess my whole frustration stems from (as I stated) entry level, weak android phones offer features that even the 3gs could tackle...such as the turn by turn navigation. Unfortunately, not all of us have the cash to purchase the latest and greatest all the time...guess maybe I will have to!

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Everyone in the world may know this but I just found it yesterday.:eek: I was using the White & Yellow Pages app and figured out that it has "turn by turn" navigation built into it! Nice! I assume they use Google. IDK but it worked great! It even talked to me and told me when to turn!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Everyone in the world may know this but I just found it yesterday.:eek: I was using the White & Yellow Pages app and figured out that it has "turn by turn" navigation built into it! Nice! I assume they use Google. IDK but it worked great! It even talked to me and told me when to turn!

Wow! I had that app installed a while back and never knew it. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess my whole frustration stems from (as I stated) entry level, weak android phones offer features that even the 3gs could tackle...such as the turn by turn navigation. Unfortunately, not all of us have the cash to purchase the latest and greatest all the time...guess maybe I will have to!

Oh, I understand your frustration and you're definitely on-point about everyone not having the cash to purchase the latest & greatest. That is indisputable. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yea, I think I remember seeing you trying out that Waze app in another post. Im pretty sure I asked you about it...totally forgot to see if there was a response!

I will have to check it out though.

Yes, you did and I think I responded. Heck, I don't know. I'm almost at AARP (Almost At Resting Place) age. ;)....Just kidding.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Reactions: Angelo_Campher

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Whether owners of the iPhone 4 and earlier models are "getting screwed" is debatable. Like time, technology continues to progress and not everyone and every device will progress with it. The iPhone 4 was introduced in 2010 and thus, it 'may' not have the power to function in the manner befitting an iPhone with iOS 6 installed. I'm not saying that is the case because I do not know, but I know at some point in time, my iPhone 4S will be obsolete. That's just the way it is. ;)

By the way, I was a big MapQuest app user until I gave Waze a try and I love it so much more. Give it a try.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

The iPhone 4 can do turn by turn just fine. Hell the 3GS can do turn by turn. Apple is aware of this but they want their customers to dump perfectly functioning devices and upgrade for the $$$. The "outdated hardware" excuse is cop out on their part.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I understand that there are apps for that, and it can be achieved by jailbreaking...but my point is this is something that shouldn't require a third pary app or a jailbreak (at least not now that it is available for a few apple devices).

If I am not mistaken, turn-by-turn navigation came with every android OS since the beginning, and on every device whether it was a cheapy, entry level device, or the greatest, fastest device to date. I can totally understand if apple doesn't want to add the 3d aspect of the new maps to the iPhone 4 and lower, but simple turn-by-turn should be added...even to the 3gs.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you did and I think I responded. Heck, I don't know. I'm almost at AARP (Almost At Resting Place) age. ;)....Just kidding.

Ha...well I'm there with you....didn't even think to look at the response, and I was actually prety interested to hear what you had to say about it!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If I am not mistaken, turn-by-turn navigation came with every android OS since the beginning...

So what? If you want that, right now on iOS - get an app. If you want it in baked in the OS just like that dairy product flavor of the week - go to the dairy product shop and get what you want rather than grousing about how iOS isn't just like dairy products.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 4 can do turn by turn just fine.
No arguments here
Hell the 3GS can do turn by turn.
Again, no arguments here.
Apple is aware of this but they want their customers to dump perfectly functioning devices and upgrade for the $$$. The "outdated hardware" excuse is cop out on their part.
It is not a cop-out. It is just business. Technology changes/improves and businesses must offer products that take advantage of that technology or risk going out of business. We, the customer, are always looking for something different and new. Want proof? Read the threads about what users expect from iOS 6 and the next iPhone. Apple or any other company is not going to be expected to develop the next big thing and not make it so users will not buy the next big thing. C'mon!

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

AyyRobbayy

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Agreed

well i agree to the fact that the iPhone 4 can do turn by turn just as well as the iPhone 4s but i also don't mind the fact that it will only be a feature on the 4s. i have an iPhone 4 not the S model and i will be getting the iPhone 5 when it is released. But to all those that are disgruntled about the iPhone 4 lacking the privilege to use turn by turn then maybe you should jailbreak cause I'm sure that the jail breaking community will release a way to activate that feature maybe even before the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 is released. But to sum up everything, its all about money and you can't really hate cause thats how all technology works. Something new is released then something better comes out and outdates the old.
:)

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
So what? If you want that, right now on iOS - get an app. If you want it in baked in the OS just like that dairy product flavor of the week - go to the dairy product shop and get what you want rather than grousing about how iOS isn't just like dairy products.

Good lord buddy, I get it...I really do. So let's start here....take a deep breath. I am not attacking iOS, iPhones, Apple, Steve Jobs, you, or anyone else, so relax. No one is here grousing about anything; I even changed my initial post to not come across that way. I GET that it's all about business and money, and I GET that there's an app for that (again...initial post)...I am simply stating that not giving certain features to certain models that can absolutely handle them is a bit of a let down. Now, I did compare apple to android...which apparently made you a bit upset, and I apologize for that (I don't want to upset anyone). However, you have to realize and remember that in a competitive marketplace such as the market of phones, there will always be comparisons. Just becasue I compare apples to androids does NOT mean that I am talking poorly on you or apple, and does NOT mean I am bashing anyone or anything. So again...take a breath, relax, and try to comprehend that the rebuttal to a comment doesn't have to always be "quit crying and go buy an android then".

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices