Goop in the Charging Port Question

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
My husband put his iPhone in his pocket with what I can only guess is a melted hard candy? Anyway, the "goop" got into his charging port on his phone--then he plugged his phone into the charger and of course it got onto the charger. Without knowing--I later put my iphone on the same charger! The "goop" then spread to my phone via the "infected" charger! Thankfully, after scrubbing with a dry toothbrush my phone is fine and works on another charger.

However this did not work for his phone. His phone is only taking a charge when held at a certain angle on the charger. Obviously the iHome is out (yes--he tried!).

My 17 year old (also a male) suggested he take a lighter and try to melt the "goop" out. My husband looks hopeful of this idea. Does anyone have any OTHER ideas? :rolleyes:

iVazz

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't recommend the "burn it out" method, but maybe try a plastic toothpick like you see on Swiss army knives. Non-conductive and all that. Hopefully that'll work to get the "goop" out.

Good luck.

Sent from the dark recesses of my mind using Tapatalk.

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for both ideas. I think we are waving the white flag after trying both suggestions. I'm going to charge it at the angle (at least that works) and see if his iHome at work has an RCA input jack. He HAS to have Pandora all day at work or he won't make it. We have an upgrade coming up in Oct so maybe we'll have the new iPhone out by then and this one will pull through till then.

Glad I joined the forum. I was a member on Crackberry before I crossed over last year:)

IAmSixNine

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I was going to suggest a blow dryer. This will produce heat with out the flame. LOL
Once its nice and toasty try the toothbrush method again.
If necessary find some isopropyl alcohol or contact cleaner from Frys or maybe Radio shack.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal