What in hell is AT&T smoking,,

I just hanged off the phone with one of their representatives after a 2 hour conversation trying to unlock my iPhone 4 ! I needed the iPhone unlocked to use it on an overseas trip, but the carelessness and the lack of empathy by the representative and her supervisor was just outrageous

I started with their technical representative who just gave me the run down on what their hysterical policies are.... basically I satisfied every rule except the one where the phone is still under a contract ! well obviously it will still be under contract ! their policy just made no sense ....

So I ask to speak with the her supervisor, the supervisor was even more careless than she was and basically repeated what she told me like a parrot....I told him your forcing me to do it illegally >.> and he just kept quiet lol ,, so I said I am just using it for 2 months until I comeback from my trip ,, nope policy is policy...

Funny note, the representative tried to sell me AT&Ts ridiculous International Plan , which no way in hell I am buying and then her supervisor tried to do the same....

She also told me that even if we get it approved , we have to contact Apple for the unlock cod and that will take 7-10 business days.

Overall, I have been a customer of AT&T for well over 7+ years now and I keep wondering why I still havent switched

Anyways, whats my alternative in a legal way I guess,,, I was thinking of calling Apple themselves and see what they say, but I dont know....
    06-07-2012 05:17 PM
    Can try jailbreak and sn0wbreeze to unlock. Not unlocked myself and am on sprint so I'm not sure if sn0wbreeze has been updated for the iOS 5.1.1 jailbreak.

Sent from the dark recesses of my mind using Tapatalk.
    06-07-2012 05:42 PM
    well luckily I havent updated my iPhone to the 5.1.1 so I can probably still be able to use that software...by the way are iPhone sold by Sprint GSM capable?
    06-07-2012 06:57 PM
    It doesn't go by who sold the iPhone it's by what iOS version your on and baseband version so depending on baseband you should be ok if you can post what your one we can go from there

Go to settings - general - about then tell us what is says next to the following:

Version -
    Modem firmware -

Sent from my  iPhone 4S using Tapatalk ☠
    06-07-2012 07:08 PM
    Verizon and sprint 4s are gsm capable but can only be unlocked for international and to do so have to be a customer for 30 days

Depending on your modem firmware and os version you can JB and unlock your phone .. It's under settings general and then about

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    06-07-2012 07:12 PM
    Can try jailbreak and sn0wbreeze to unlock. Not unlocked myself and am on sprint so I'm not sure if sn0wbreeze has been updated for the iOS 5.1.1 jailbreak.

Sent from the dark recesses of my mind using Tapatalk.
    No I don't think so but you can use redsnow to make custom Ipsw

06-07-2012 07:13 PM
    Thanks for the replies,,,

my modem firmware is 4.12.01

odd seems pretty old, but I am running version 5.1 ...
    06-07-2012 10:10 PM
    It's not old it what 5.1 should be .. But it's too new ultrasnow can not unlock it ..

06-07-2012 11:35 PM
    ohh ! man you serious .... FN AT&T those useless brats

Is there another software, something else I can do??
    06-08-2012 01:30 AM
    AT&T is rubbish

I am going overseas and I need to unlock my phone but they wont do it , basically screw you, they said we cant do it because you will have another carrier's GSM card in the phone !!! Why the HELL do you care ! money thirsty ****
    06-08-2012 01:57 AM
    I'm not sure why the vitriole. Up until a few months ago, you couldn't get your AT&T iPhone legally unlocked at all. Period. Now they'll do it if you've met their conditions - and let's face it, you can meet their conditions by paying. You're still a lot closer to an unlock than you would have been a year ago. So you pay or not - your choice. But you can't fault AT&T because you don't meet their conditions (which you could have easily checked).

Personally, unless you're traveling overseas on business, you don't need a cell phone. In all the years I've been traveling globally, I've phoned home once. Good news will find you, and bad news can wait.
    Fausty82 and Totalimmortal363 like this.
    06-08-2012 06:21 AM
    AT&T is rubbish

I am going overseas and I need to unlock my phone but they wont do it , basically screw you, they said we cant do it because you will have another carrier's GSM card in the phone !!! Why the HELL do you care ! money thirsty ****
    Until you complete your contract, you have not actually paid for the phone. If AT&T unlocked your phone, you could walk away from your contract and they would lose money on you.

Not a good business plan.

Next time buy an unlocked phone rather than a subsidized phone.

I'm pretty sure you can also buy out your contract at any time and pay the balance for your phone.

You opted to buy a phone on a contract. You have not finished paying for it yet. Why would they unlock it?
    Fausty82 and Totalimmortal363 like this.
    06-08-2012 07:59 AM
    I'm not sure why the vitriole. Up until a few months ago, you couldn't get your AT&T iPhone legally unlocked at all. Period. Now they'll do it if you've met their conditions - and let's face it, you can meet their conditions by paying. You're still a lot closer to an unlock than you would have been a year ago. So you pay or not - your choice. But you can't fault AT&T because you don't meet their conditions (which you could have easily checked).

Personally, unless you're traveling overseas on business, you don't need a cell phone. In all the years I've been traveling globally, I've phoned home once. Good news will find you, and bad news can wait.

I am going to see friends and families, I need the iphone, I am not going on a vacation but a second home for say.... You seem like an AT&T employee/associate for sure, oh and I like that big kids word "vitriole" good for you

Why would I pay up for the iphone and get it unlocked? I already have paid $300 upfront for it, which is about half its cost and I have it for well over 1.5 years now ! I AM PRETTY SURE THAT THEY GOT THEIR MONEY BACK AND THEN SUM .... let me not forget to mention that I have three other accounts associated with them .. so AT&T keeps me dry every month:mad
    06-08-2012 02:54 PM
    Until you complete your contract, you have not actually paid for the phone. If AT&T unlocked your phone, you could walk away from your contract and they would lose money on you.

Not a good business plan.

Next time buy an unlocked phone rather than a subsidized phone.

I'm pretty sure you can also buy out your contract at any time and pay the balance for your phone.

You opted to buy a phone on a contract. You have not finished paying for it yet. Why would they unlock it?
    You obviously have no idea what your talking about... just saying to me what the AT&T policy reads which is far off from reality and what its competitors policy is.

FYI the phone has been with me for over 1.5 years,, I paid $300+ FOR IT !! .... so with all these months I am sure they got their money back,,,,so before you start typing some nonsense think a little ??
    06-08-2012 02:57 PM
    FYI the phone has been with me for over 1.5 years,, I paid $300+ FOR IT !! .... so with all these months I am sure they got their money back,,,,so before you start typing some nonsense think a little ??
    Carriers don't recoup total costs expended on the typical subsidized device until month 18 - 20 of a two year contract... and about nonsense & thinking a little... physician, heal thyself.
    06-08-2012 03:05 PM
    You obviously have no idea what your talking about... just saying to me what the AT&T policy reads which is far off from reality and what its competitors policy is.

You paid $300 for a $700 phone... and now it's paid for because you've been with AT&T for so long? Remember, your whole monthly bill doesn't go towards paying off the phone subsidization... there are usage issues that have to be paid for...

But, setting ALL of that aside, it's the way it is because AT&T says so... it's the ultimate "golden rule" - the one with the gold makes the rules. You are free to pay your ETF and go elsewhere... or live within the rules as they are defined...

You want special treatment, AT&T isn't giving it to you and now you're mad and trashing them for it. But it it what it is...
    06-08-2012 03:13 PM
    I am going to see friends and families, I need the iphone, I am not going on a vacation but a second home for say.... You seem like an AT&T employee/associate for sure, oh and I like that big kids word "vitriole" good for you

Why would I pay up for the iphone and get it unlocked? I already have paid $300 upfront for it, which is about half its cost and I have it for well over 1.5 years now ! I AM PRETTY SURE THAT THEY GOT THEIR MONEY BACK AND THEN SUM .... let me not forget to mention that I have three other accounts associated with them .. so AT&T keeps me dry every month:mad
    AT&T has no legal responsibility to unlock your phone. Period. Ever. End of story.

Try to look beyond your own selfish world for a second. Polices are in place for a reason. Live with it.
    06-08-2012 03:30 PM
    People definitely learn to read what they're signing a bit more carefully when it comes to contracts. A lot of people seem to think they just mean you get a cheaper phone. No point getting angry about something you agreed to in writing.
    06-08-2012 04:37 PM
    People definitely learn to read what they're signing a bit more carefully when it comes to contracts. A lot of people seem to think they just mean you get a cheaper phone. No point getting angry about something you agreed to in writing.
    should be reading that 10 page report written in font 5 ? .. lawyer made them that way for a reason and even I did read it thoroughly I wouldn't be able to clearly know what it meant because its not meant for everyday person.
    06-08-2012 08:02 PM
    AT&T has no legal responsibility to unlock your phone. Period. Ever. End of story.

Try to look beyond your own selfish world for a second. Polices are in place for a reason. Live with it.
    You cannot deny that some policies out to be changed? right? ,, You cant be a man that follow every step of the law? you would be close to God if thats the case.... Laws/policies are obligatory in essence,
    06-08-2012 08:04 PM
    You paid $300 for a $700 phone... and now it's paid for because you've been with AT&T for so long? Remember, your whole monthly bill doesn't go towards paying off the phone subsidization... there are usage issues that have to be paid for...

But, setting ALL of that aside, it's the way it is because AT&T says so... it's the ultimate "golden rule" - the one with the gold makes the rules. You are free to pay your ETF and go elsewhere... or live within the rules as they are defined...

You want special treatment, AT&T isn't giving it to you and now you're mad and trashing them for it. But it it what it is...
    Carrier: AT&T

enough said
    06-08-2012 08:05 PM
    should be reading that 10 page report written in font 5 ? .. lawyer made them that way for a reason and even I did read it thoroughly I wouldn't be able to clearly know what it meant because its not meant for everyday person.
    Doesn't matter what it's printed on or how big/small the font is... it's a legally binding contract... whether you read it or not, you agreed to be bound by the terms of it... just like the judge says, ignorance is no excuse.
    06-08-2012 09:19 PM
    Carrier: AT&T

enough said
    Really? I've been a customer of AT&T since 1998... no real issues to report at all. Sure, I will admit that not every "close call" goes my way. But I understand that a contract is a contract. I can honestly say without reservation that AT&T has been very, very good to me.

So climb down off that high horse and accept the fact that you want something that they aren't going to give you. You have two options and both will cost you money... pay to get out of the contract and get your phone unlocked or pay higher prices when traveling overseas. Sorry to disappoint you, but a deal is a deal. And whether or not your read or understood it, you agreed to it.
    06-08-2012 09:22 PM
    I think I'm gonna close this thread before it devolves any further. This is a forum where people come to share and exchange ideas, not somewhere you come to vent.
    06-08-2012 09:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD