Hello!
    I'm wondering if you can see what iOS the phone is shipped with by any text/numbers that you can see on the box of your iphone package. I'm talking about the iPhone 4s and most importan if it has 5.1 or older.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Skippy; 04-27-2012 at 08:20 AM.
    04-27-2012 08:12 AM
    I found the below information from HERE

If you want to know your iPhone firmware version without unwrap and open up the package, the serial number of iPhone wrote on a sticker on the box may provide you some hint. In fact, if you order a phone online from Apple, its possible to see what is your iPhones serial number when you check your invoice online, even before before the phone arrives at your hand. A typical iPhone will have a serial number in the following format: 7T727XYZWH8. The serial number is made up of several blocks which have its own meaning, as explain below:
    Digits 1 to 3 (7T7) = Year / Batch code
    Digits 4 to 5 (27) = Week of manufacture
    Digits 6 to 8 (XZY) = Unique identifier part of the S/N
    Digits 9 to 11 (WH8) = 8Gb model
    The only significant number in the serial ID number to help you guess which firmware version your iPhone has are digit 4 and digit 5, which show week of manufacturing of the iPhone. It has been known that iPhone version 1.1.1. started shipping to customers from week 39 onwards.So if your 4th and 5th digits in iPhone serial number is less than 39 (38 or lower), its almost certain that the iPhone as firmware 1.0.2. If the number is greater than 39 (40 and higher), its also almost certain that the firmware in iPhone will be 1.1.1 or newer, where you probably need to start arranging to return the phone if youre not planning to use the phone on AT&T. Grey area is when the digits is 39, where the iPhone has equal chances to be 1.0.2 or 1.1.1.

How to Check iPhone Firmware Version (Field Test Mode)

Turn on the phone and slide to unlock the keypad. iPhone screen should show that only emergency calls is allowed.
    Enter the following key sequence: *3001#12345#* and then finish by pressing Call button. This will enter field test mode of iPhone.
    Tap on Versions.
    The firmware revision information of iPhone installed out of the box will be shown on LCD screen. The following guide will match the firmware revision to the firmware version.
    03.12.06_G - firmware version 1.0.0
    03.14.08_G - firmware version 1.0.1 or 1.02
    04.01.13_G - firmware version 1.1.1
    04.02.04_G - firmware version 1.1.1
    04-27-2012 08:41 AM
    Looking at my girlfriends iPhone 4s that information is not correct on her box, her serial number only has 2 numbers in it and rest is letters, and the two numbers are not together
    04-27-2012 08:49 AM
    Looking at my girlfriends iPhone 4s that information is not correct on her box, her serial number only has 2 numbers in it and rest is letters, and the two numbers are not together
    This method didn't work for me either. However, if you have a mac..just download an app called CocountID and type in the serial number and it will tell you.
    05-06-2012 01:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD