Otterbox Fail... phone shattered, w/ pics

Jahcae

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This has nothing to do with Otterbox. The phone is literally bent, a drop didn't do this, end of story. An otterbox can't protect the phone from being run over or some other form of massive trauma, which I promise you is what actually happened.

The Otterbox Defender also fits too snugly for some magical incident to have bent the phone inside of it with no noticeable damage to the case.

A lie is being spun for us. I hope this isn't some test story that they plan to throw at Otterbox hoping they'll toss them a new phone, which OB has been known to do from time to time. They're generous, but they aren't stupid. The bent phone and the degree to which the glass is shattered scream that we aren't being told the truth.

I didn't want to say that this is the fault of Otterbox. It's just no good advertisement for them, although it looks like the phone display was cracked before.

ght1223

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Do you still have the otter box? If so can you take pics of the front, back and the damage. Also if you could write the name and date next to the damage on the otter box case?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm calling bs no way a phone in a otterbox took that much damage from a 4 foot drop ... A hammer yes a 4 foot drop no way

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm calling bs no way a phone in a otterbox took that much damage from a 4 foot drop ... A hammer yes a 4 foot drop no way

I'm not so sure. My wife's 4S was encased in an Otterbox and her phone's display was shattered quite a bit (not to the extent of the OP) when it merely slipped off of her lap onto the floor. She was not a happy camper, to say the least...:)....Anyway, I suppose it depends on the angle upon impact.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not so sure. My wife's 4S was encased in an Otterbox and her phone's display was shattered quite a bit (not to the extent of the OP) when it merely slipped off of her lap onto the floor. She was not a happy camper, to say the least...:)....Anyway, I suppose it depends on the angle upon impact.

Wow that's crazy .. But not a bent frame at-least ... My two year old uses a iphone 4 I had repaired front and back on it for movies and i put it in a otterbox and she will be her age get mad or whatever and throw it and it has yet to even have a mark on it

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow that's crazy .. But not a bent frame at-least ... My two year old uses a iphone 4 I had repaired front and back on it for movies and i put it in a otterbox and she will be her age get mad or whatever and throw it and it has yet to even have a mark on it

No. My wife's display was the only casualty. The frame was not bent or anything like that and her phone is still operable. She has yet to take it to be replaced. If it had been mine, it would have been replaced already...lol...Anyway, I hope your case continues to protect your device, my friend. Take care and enjoy the rest of your day...:D

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
No. My wife's display was the only casualty. The frame was not bent or anything like that and her phone is still operable. She has yet to take it to be replaced. If it had been mine, it would have been replaced already...lol...Anyway, I hope your case continues to protect your device, my friend. Take care and enjoy the rest of your day...:D

If it doesn't ill just repair it again lol

anon(94115)

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I am guessing the OP was used to sitting on it thinking it was invincible. That would cause the bend AND weaken the protection of the frame and case enough to cause the glass to shatter. The case may have made it look like the frame was not bent, until the accident and it was taken out...

EDIT: Have have seen the screens crack from less though. Not to that extent...

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
although it is very unfortunate this happened, there's no way i would blame a case for failing. this is a perfect example of anything that could go perfectly wrong, did

fyi: i've known people who have dropped their 4's or 4S from about 3' to 4' up and ended up with minor scratches only (without a case)

I dropped my BB Curve off of my mattress which was on the floor and it shattered the screen. It happens.

I'm with everyone else though - that phone was not just dropped unless it was dropped from the top of Mt. Rushmore.

that should be a key factor right there, i have used many otterbox cases and dropped phones,they don't crack or break from dropping them. that is the point of the otterbox. This device was obviously run over by a vehicle.

Or a tank...

timmyb457

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I had almost the same thing happen with my 4s, but mine was dropped off of my 10 foot deck onto cement. I took it out of the defender and the back glass was shattered and the phone was slightly bent. Not as much as the OP, but enough that I couldn't just replace the glass. I'm not agreeing that a 4ft drop would do what he said, but the 10ft one sure did.

- - - Updated - - -

I had almost the same thing happen with my 4s, but mine was dropped off of my 10 foot deck onto cement. I took it out of the defender and the back glass was shattered and the phone was slightly bent. Not as much as the OP, but enough that I couldn't just replace the glass. I'm not agreeing that a 4ft drop would do what he said, but the 10ft one sure did.

d_la_roc

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Why post 6 pictures of the iPhone and not one single photo of the broken otter box?? Something doesn't seem right. I've owned 7 otterbox cases for different phones and have dropped them many times and never once got even a scratch on the phones. But of coarse I was using the Defender. If you were using the commuter or reflex or any case other than the Defender, we'll those Otterbox cases don't protect no where near as good as the Defender and you should expect the phone to break when slamming it on the ground. Him tripping and falling adds a lot more force than just dropping the phone from four feet...

lilhey7

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
You don't know his life tile is hard and can break anything couldve bent it who know not your problem none of you have any right to be calling anyone a liar I dropped mine down to stairs and it fell and shattered in an otter box Its ridiculous to pay $50-100 for something that isn't seriously going to protect your phone otter boxes are fony they get lucky sometimes and the phone still breaks. If they say they should 100% protect your phone and you have to pay that much for a case and it doesn't work they should be responsible to pay for it.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
a lot of new iPhone 6 users are starting to state that the case will become loose and allow the iPhone 6 to shift in the case. Otterbox has though replaced cases for those people.