1. natefish's Avatar
    I recently broke my iPhone 4 screen (I know, I said it would never happen to me), so I took it to a local business that fixes screens. Now, it has been two days and the business has fixed my screen, but cannot get my phone to reconnect to the network. It simply says "No Service." The repair person said it may be the antennae, but replacing that made no effect. Can anyone shed light on what might be the issue?

    On a more legal side of things, is this business liable if my phone can't be fixed? Would it be their responsibility to replace my phone if it cannot be repaired? I didn't sign any kind of waver when dropped off the phone.

    Thank you for any input!
    04-07-2012 01:32 PM
  2. IAmSixNine's Avatar
    I have repaired hundreds of iphones over the years. Most shops will have some sort of disclaimer at the entrance, register, waiting area, somewhere that says they are not responsible for lost, stolen, damaged or other acts of bad techs. LOL
    With that said im sorry to hear your iPhone isnt working. There are a couple of possibilities. There is a small connector that the antenna cable plugs into, and i have yet to see one of them be damaged but its possible. Its also possible that the center pin on the male side of the plug is damaged or bent. The tech could have used to much force to snap it on and broken it.
    There are a few things to check.
    If they dont remedy it and you dont mind me looking at it id like to see IF i can get it to work. I enjoy a good challenge.
    I also wont charge you anything, you pay for shipping both ways. If i have to buy a part ill let you know in advance.
    PM me or something if you would like to discuss this further.
    I do hope they get it fixed in house. I hate to see places like that stay in business.
    04-07-2012 06:06 PM
  3. natefish's Avatar
    Thank you for the advice and for the offer to help. I have passed on what you said to the tech working on it--yes, he is STILL working on it. I'm not sure what to do if he doesn't have it fixed today. The repair person is a friend of a family member who has an iPhone repair business, so it seemed like the right thing to do. Now, of course, I don't know. This business has no signage or other notification saying they are not responsible for broken phones, so I'm still not sure if I am legally in the right to demand a new phone from this repair tech.

    All I do know is that I am a husband and father whose only means of communication is inoperable. It's like part of me is amputated right now.
    04-09-2012 12:38 PM
  4. IAmSixNine's Avatar
    They should be doing more to assist you with this. To me thats just good customer service. Since this is a friend of a friend deal your in a tight spot.
    I deal with about 90% corporate repair. Which means phones are mailed to me and i dont actually deal with many end customers. The other 10% are local customers, friends, family, or anybody i can help locally. A typical iPhone 4 LCD/Glass/Digitizer replacement is about 30 minutes. If i were to have problems i would try to help my customer with a loaner device or something to keep them in the loop communications wise. But thats just me. Not everybody has those standards. I have often heard about shops with shotty work or half trained techs.
    Sure they can fix a broken screen but what if they run into x problem or z problem. Can they troubleshot and fix that. Not likely.
    I have had my fair share of devices where i go into fix 1 thing only to find other issues, or accidently cause another. What i learned over the years is to cover my butt. I ask questions unrelated to the actual repair and verify stuff like home button work, data port, buttons and swithces work. This way if other issues arise i point them out before i take apart the phone.
    04-09-2012 03:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD