Traveling to Europe -- Any Money-Saving Suggestions?

OMMBoy

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi, All!

I'll be taking a trip to Europe this summer to visit family and friends and was hoping somebody could offer suggestions on saving money on voice/data/text. My wife, son, and I all have the iPhone 4 on AT&T.

Thanks,
Chris

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Turn your phones on airplane mode when you get on the plane. When you arrive, turn on WiFi. Take advantage of things like Skype for outgoing calls when you find a WiFi zone.

Of course, if your iPhones are unlocked, just get a cheap local sim.

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I always used Google voice when in Europe. Now that we have iMessage, even if you get the 50 MB data roaming plan, texts are so small data wise, you should be able to text freely. Just make sure you turn mail to fetch manually, or you will get big data charges.

Fixxy

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Turn on wifi only mode, and sign up for a google voice account and purchase credits. Use Skype when you have a reliable wifi connection.

If you use google maps and know the general area where you'll be traveling in the near future, look it up beforehand and zoom in all the way, this will preload the maps images and you'll still be able to use gMaps even in wifi only mode without a wifi connection.

Geminiq

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Geat one unlocked Huawei E560 or ZTE MF60 (appr. 70-100 USD) mobile hotspot, and buy a local prepaid internet only SIM card.
I use this method when travelling around Europe, and I always have a hotspot around me ;)

ktstop

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
With the pre-paid global SIM card, you get the benefit of having the same number, which you can carry through your journey in different parts of the world. On top of that, the calls that you receive are free of cost, no matter where it is generated from.I'm using holidayphone during my foreign tour especially in Spain, Italy. They providing cheap and best services. pay as you go

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Go to Settings > General > Cellular - Turn off Cellular Data and Data Roaming. This will keep your wi-fi active for hotels, coffee shops, etc but will prevent roaming charges as a phone and from apps calling home, racking up data charges there.

Also, take a 'real' camera with an optical zoom with you. As convenient as the iPhone might be (and accepting you probably won't be using it as a phone there), you'll regret taking holiday shots on its crappy camera and its digital zoom.

kapafka

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Which one you recomend for travel to Asia?
Geat one unlocked Huawei E560 or ZTE MF60 (appr. 70-100 USD) mobile hotspot, and buy a local prepaid internet only SIM card.
I use this method when travelling around Europe, and I always have a hotspot around me ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2