I'll be traveling there in a few weeks. I've been reading others' tips, but I wanted to ask for advice so that I don't get any unexpected charges. I typically leave the phone home when I travel internationally, so this is my first time trying to bring it.

I plan to turn off international data roaming and fetch; should this completely eliminate any data charges I might incur? I'll only use internet services when I am connected to wifi.

It seems like I can let my phone connect to networks in the UK and I will only be charged if I answer a call. I plan to use tango, skype, etc. over wifi to call the family at night, but leave the cellular on for emergencies. The part I don't understand is voicemail. AT&T seems to indicate that you are charged for incoming voicemail even if you do not check it, and even if the person hangs up and doesn't leave a message. Would I be safer just keeping the phone in airplane mode and using wifi exclusively?

If I do leave cellular, it seems that incoming texts count against my normal plan, but outgoing are $.50. Has anyone tried this abroad? I assume I can still use iMessage with wifi only, though?

Thanks for any tips you may have picked up while traveling with your iPhone!
    12-17-2011 03:38 PM
    Your best bet to avoid charges is to put your phone in airplane mode when you leave the US, and leave it that way until you return. Turn on WiFi for when you find a WiFi hotspot, and use that for iMessage and Skype calls.

Having traveled extensively for many years, you want to ask yourself one important question - if someone calls you with an emergency, will you drop everything to get back on a plane and go home? If not, don't worry about staying in touch via phone and enjoy the trip. Most "emergencies" involve things you would have no control over even if you did rush home.
    12-17-2011 06:43 PM
    Thanks for the advice; it looks like I'll likely stay in airplane mode for the entire trip. One hiccup I noticed is that GPS is disabled in airplane mode. Is there any way to completely disable data and cell service, but still be able to use GPS? We'll be in some rural areas for a few days and I'd like to be able to use some offline maps with GPS capabilities, but have no chance of a cell signal getting through.
    12-17-2011 07:21 PM
    Thanks for the advice; it looks like I'll likely stay in airplane mode for the entire trip. One hiccup I noticed is that GPS is disabled in airplane mode. Is there any way to completely disable data and cell service, but still be able to use GPS? We'll be in some rural areas for a few days and I'd like to be able to use some offline maps with GPS capabilities, but have no chance of a cell signal getting through.
    If you go into setting ,carrier. Turn automatic off and lock to AT&T.. You will be able to use wifi and GPS with mno cell service until you get back.
    On my last UK trip I picked up an O2 | Mobile Phones, Broadband & SIMs From The UK's Leading Provider. Pay as you go sim with 200 minutes and unlimited data for 30.00 and left the number on my voice mail. If figure if they want me bad enough, they can pay the long distant. You will need an unlocked phone.
    12-17-2011 08:29 PM
    That sounded perfect. Unfortunately I don't have the carrier option available on my phone, so I won't be able to lock it to AT&T. Any other ways to use GPS while I'm in Europe, but ensure that the iPhone can't receive any sort of cell signal?
    12-23-2011 08:52 AM
    Just get a sim card from a uk network,O2 would be your best best.
    You can get unlimited data for around £10 top up on a pay and go sim.
    Then as the post above says,leave the number on your voicemail.
    12-23-2011 09:22 AM
    That sounded perfect. Unfortunately I don't have the carrier option available on my phone, so I won't be able to lock it to AT&T. Any other ways to use GPS while I'm in Europe, but ensure that the iPhone can't receive any sort of cell signal?
    My approach is a bit different from Alli's. Personally I turn airplane mode off when I get off the plane. As long as data roaming is off (Settings -> General -> Network -> Data Roaming = OFF) you won't get data or data charges. GPS is still enabled and on-board mapping apps like Navigon work fine.

I've gone to Europe about 10 times since buying my iPhone and have had one call from a friend who didn't know I was overseas. Had a good laugh at a cost of $2.58. I've also bought $25 of data from AT&T a couple of times and turned data roaming on. Just be sure to reset your data usage (Settings -> General -> Usage -> Cellular Usage -> Reset Statistics) and check data usage on this screen to see how much you have left. I ended up using only half of what I paid for, but I was avoiding data hogs like Google Maps.

Separately you may want to look into calling cards. I usually phone home from a land line with one.
    12-24-2011 04:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD