Being offered a free iphone 4....

lytefall

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
.......8GB to replace a blackberry 9780 my service provider can't seem to get me a good copy of. I have had the phone replaced 4 times and always one problem or another. Tonight I was offered an iphone 4 8GB for free with no hardware upgrade fees and an iphone plan for the same price I am paying for a blackberry plan now. They don't carry the 16 or 32GB anymore and I can't convince them to give me a 4S. Only catch is it will reset my contract for another 3yrs. I probably won't use it for a lot of music or movies. Just apps, streaming data, internet and phone. Should I take the offer or will I be disappointed with the 8GB?

Thanks

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Is 3 yrs your standard contract time? And if so, how far into your current contract are you? If you've already put in a lot of time it's worth trying to get them to agree to either no renewal (just keeping your current contract) or at least dropping the contract to one or two years--bear in mind the iP4 has been out for a year and a half at this point. So although it's still a very capable device you'll be locking yourself in for much longer than most iP4 users.

dbjaime3

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I would not get the iP4 8gb for 3years. At this point I am happy with my iP4 16 gb, but I would not want it for 3 more years. I am eligable for an upgrade, but I did not feel like the iP4s was worth the expense. I am planing on buying the next iPhone that comes out. What carrier require a 3 year contract? I have never heard of such a long contract.

lytefall

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Its a Canadian carrier and I am 10mths into the contract and have been fighting for a solution for 8 of them. I am locked into this contract for another 26 months. Originally they offered to let me switch carriers and waive cancellation fees but when the rep went to get approval for this option his supervisor denied it. So after all the fighting for a resolution this is the only offer that's been made so I am fairly confident they won't go for anything better. My only options are to wait out the contract and deal with the problems (dropping phone calls, phone calls not connecting, slow to non existent browsing, phone locks up for no reason, keyboard freezes while typing - these were common to all phones and every phone had its own other issues - loose trackpad, trackpad moved on its own, screen problems etc). I am not a "need to get the latest and greatest" kind of guy and am more worried as to whether the 8GB has something the larger sizes do not that I am missing or is the only true difference the HD size?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The only difference between the 8 and 16 GB model is 8 GB.

You could always take the phone, sell it, and get the 4s - the 4's are still selling well, especially to people wanting to avoid a 3 year contract.

lytefall

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
So hypothetically speaking if I were to not use it for music, and only had 10-15 apps and used it for txt, imessage, phone, internet it should function just as well/quickly as a 16 or 32GB?

Sorry. New to this iphone stuff. I had never really even considered it before the offer because I have always been a blackberry guy so I am not really up on all their capabilities.

dmilleville90

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
So hypothetically speaking if I were to not use it for music, and only had 10-15 apps and used it for txt, imessage, phone, internet it should function just as well/quickly as a 16 or 32GB?

Sorry. New to this iphone stuff. I had never really even considered it before the offer because I have always been a blackberry guy so I am not really up on all their capabilities.

You'll be fine! I have a 16 GB iPhone 4 and i have 500 songs, 10o photos and 51 apps and it only uses up 4.6 GB. So no worries at all with having enough memory! Oh, and you will experience no issues with performance as well :)

Also, a little help with the blackberry/Iphone comparison. I came from a blackberry and was blown away at all of the features the iPhone offered compared to the blackberry. It really is night and day difference between the two. Go for the iPhone, you will not be disappointed!

Last edited:

Ginbill

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Definitely. my current iphone 4 is an 8GB and I have probably double that number of apps! And even a few playlists of music. I've noticed absolutely no issues with speed or anything like that.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
My wife had an iPod 8gb and i finally bought her an iPhone 8gb because she barely touched the memory on her iPod. She doesn't do many games and the only apps she has are diet and exercise trackers and a couple of cooking apps. I checked after switching her from her BB and she still had 6gb left after all the aps and about 100 or more songs and a 100 pix. I see a lot of people downloading apps and only used them for a few weeks then stop. If I don't use the app after a month it's gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xxDruMMer BoYxx

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
you can always just go to another carrier and they'll take care of your cancellation fee if your concerned about the 3 years....otherwise like everyone else said,...if your not gonna get all music happy on your phone...or even video capture happy...then go for it..

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73