why is there no 4g?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I have been thinking about getting a new iPhone, but I want to know why they haven't started using the 4G network? Any ideas?

The present generation of quad band 4G radio chipsets is bigger, and goes through battery faster than Apple cared to put into their devices. The next generation of 4G compatible radio prototypes are in testing, and should be into full production early next year and then into the iPad3 and iPhone5 (or whatever they call it...) for release in 2012... and 4G from carriers is only now beginning to be deployed enough to make it worthwhile.

HYPERformance

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
in reality there isnt much of a 4g. company's just use 4g as a marketing term. iphone 4s is still on 3g and is one of the fastest phones out there. att tried to get apple to have just the att version iphone 4s say 4g instead of 3g just to market att having the fastest iphone. apple declined

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
4G LTE phones have horrible batteries right now. I'd much rather have the 4S 3G and get 10 hours of usage out of a battery then an LTE that gets 4 hours.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Reactions: anon(157335)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
If your on a a GSM network and get a 4S, it will run on HSPA+ if you have that in your area. HSPA+ is what T-Mo calls their 4G network and same with At&t with devices like the Inspire 4G and ect. HSPA+ is faster than typical 3G.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
The present generation of quad band 4G radio chipsets is bigger, and goes through battery faster than Apple cared to put into their devices. The next generation of 4G compatible radio prototypes are in testing, and should be into full production early next year and then into the iPad3 and iPhone5 (or whatever they call it...) for release in 2012... and 4G from carriers is only now beginning to be deployed enough to make it worthwhile.

this is all speculation no facts to back up whether the next model will have any of it or not..

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
this is all speculation no facts to back up whether the next model will have any of it or not..

When the Verizon iPhone4 was released, it was said, by none other than Tim Cook if my memory is serving me well that the Verizon iPhone 4 was not an LTE device because it would have meant making design and battery concessions that they were unwilling to make to bring to market at that time.

It could be 2012 before 4G LTE Verizon iPhone arrives | VentureBeat

Since then, it has been reported in multiple places that Qualcomm's next generation LTE radios will be in production and are expected to be in upcoming Apple devices.

LTE may come to iPad, iPhone next year thanks to latest Qualcomm chips

Qualcomm Chips Fuel Apple's Push Into LTE In 2012 - Forbes

iPhone, iPad may finally get LTE next year thanks to Qualcomm - SlashGear

Pimp Lucious

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
in reality there isnt much of a 4g. company's just use 4g as a marketing term. iphone 4s is still on 3g and is one of the fastest phones out there. att tried to get apple to have just the att version iphone 4s say 4g instead of 3g just to market att having the fastest iphone. apple declined

Verizon 4G pretty widespread now and the speeds blow away anything you would ever get on an iPhone. Your info is outdated and inaccurate.

phattysalz

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Verizon 4G pretty widespread now and the speeds blow away anything you would ever get on an iPhone. Your info is outdated and inaccurate.

Correct. Verizon LTE is all over the place and is growing very fast. The speeds are incredibly fast...go into a VZW store and try out an LTE capable phone.

To answer the OP, it is most likely battery life. I have gotten used to poor battery life on smartphones and keep chargers at home, in the car, and at work. The lack of 4G was the deciding factor in not getting the 4S (at least on Verizon anyway). I simply will not sign away another 2 years on 3G speeds after getting a taste of what LTE has to offer. I am going to pick up the Galaxy Nexus when it is available. You can always toggle the 4G off if you want to conserve battery life if you are away from a charger for extended periods of time. Or you can keep a spare battery on hand or a USB charger pack. Battery life is not a big deal for me.

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
4G LTE phones have horrible batteries right now. I'd much rather have the 4S 3G and get 10 hours of usage out of a battery then an LTE that gets 4 hours.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

What he said. I'm very happy with my iPhone's battery life and to me that's more important than 4G.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
What he said. I'm very happy with my iPhone's battery life and to me that's more important than 4G.

I would love LTE too but not if it cost me from making it a day on 1 charge at Disneyland tweeting all my pictures :D. We'll see what happens

SockRolid

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Real 4G doesn't exist yet

in reality there isnt much of a 4g. company's just use 4g as a marketing term. [...]

LTE is still "3.9G" even though it uses some technology that may also find its way into full 4G. LTE still needs separate connections for voice and data. 4G will combine them into a single internet packetized-stream of data. The full 4G spec hasn't even been finalized yet.

Having said all that, LTE is apparently much faster than the original 3G. But it's still not ready for prime time. The 4G data speed requirements are 100 Mbit/s for high mobility communication and 1Gbit/s for stationary and low-mobility communication. LTE is nowhere near that, the chips still use too much power for long battery life, and the LTE networks aren't extensive enough to open it up to the mainstream cell phone user market.

So the "marketing 4G" networks that are being rolled out now are just an interim step. Hopefully that step won't last long before the all-singing, all-dancing "real 4G" comes to market...

jcqb15

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
If your on a a GSM network and get a 4S, it will run on HSPA+ if you have that in your area. HSPA+ is what T-Mo calls their 4G network and same with At&t with devices like the Inspire 4G and ect. HSPA+ is faster than typical 3G.

But does it say anything other than 3G?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR