Hey all. About 6 weeks or so ago my GF had her iphone 4 stolen and findmyiphone and mobile me, etc setup. Of course when the phone was stolen it was turned off. Made several attempts and hitting a location and finally gave up. So I have a few questions.

2 months later can I still locate the phone?
    If the sim was removed and a new put in, can findmyiphone still find it?
    Is the only way to locate a stolen iphone is for a criminal to be a complete ***** and leave the phone on and sim installed, I seriously doubt anyone that steals a iphone will keep it on.
    What about serial numbers and someone putting there own sim in the phone and syncing with itunes.?
    I'm just disappointed in findmyphone and theft relocating with todays technology.
    With christmas time rolling around. What's to keep a thief from stealing these phones
    11-27-2011 02:48 AM
    I'm not an expert but I'd assume that if a new sim was put in and the phone wiped, you'll not be able to find it.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    11-27-2011 06:57 AM
    I'm not an expert but I'd assume that if a new sim was put in and the phone wiped, you'll not be able to find it.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    If the phone is wiped, you can't track it down anymore. Your best thing to do is to go to the AT&T phone and they'll disable the phone for you. They also might be able to get you a new sim card so your GF can use an older cell phone she had in the past. Your second option is to get her a new iPhone or a new cell phone. Hope this helped!
    11-27-2011 08:59 AM
    Did you report the phone stolen? If so then based on my understanding it could not be activated on the AT&T system, however if wiped and a new sim inserted it may be able to be activated on another GSM carrier. Not sure if Apple has a stolen notification system as well that would prevent someone from activating through another iTunes account. You may want to check with Apple.

None of this of course will get the phone back but an immediate notification to the carrier of a lost or stolen phone will at least render it useless on that network.
    11-28-2011 05:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD