Vibration for SMS Alerts

reflexo

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I know this has been discussed before, but I would like to bring this up again.

I use my cell phone as a pager. As I am a physician, it is crucial that I don't miss pages. I keep my phone on silent mode at all times. The extremely short vibration is just not adequate for a text alert. What I would need is a longer alert coupled with reminder alerts every minute or so to assure that I get the page. With my Palm Pre+ I have needed to use patches to get this done. Android has an app called Smart Vibrator which apparently can accomplish these tasks.

Is there any way to make this so for the iPhone? I would love to make it my primary work phone. Thanks in advance

anon(157335)

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Under Settings / Notifications / Messages there is an option to repeat an SMS notification every two minutes up to 10 times, so that will help. Unfortunately there is no way to change the vibration duration with the standard iOS installed; jail breaking may provide more options.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Actually, iOS 5 provides a lot of options for vibration: go to Settings/ Sounds/Vibrations and you can choose from a variety of patterns OR create your own.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Actually, iOS 5 provides a lot of options for vibration: go to Settings/ Sounds/Vibrations and you can choose from a variety of patterns OR create your own.

yeah, you can pick a really long vibration, bunch of quick vibrations, make your own. Now with iOS5, you're able to change the vibration.

reflexo

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
yeah, you can pick a really long vibration, bunch of quick vibrations, make your own. Now with iOS5, you're able to change the vibration.

Thanks everyone. It seems that you can change the vibration patterns, but this does not seem to effect the text message alert! I made a custom pattern, but still only get the 1/4 second buzz. Having it repeat may help. Too bad there is no app for this, or built-in functionality. more people are keeping the phones on silent mode these days.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone. It seems that you can change the vibration patterns, but this does not seem to effect the text message alert! I made a custom pattern, but still only get the 1/4 second buzz. Having it repeat may help. Too bad there is no app for this, or built-in functionality. more people are keeping the phones on silent mode these days.

Do you get the page from the same #? You can go to settings general accessibility custom vibrations on and then make the custom vibration in the contact. It may only work for calls but may work for texts. Not sure never tried it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Since its an iPhone 4 you may be able to jailbreak. There's gotta be a jailbreak option for you. Maybe bitesms. I think they offer custom vibrations. Haven't been jailbroken in a while I might be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

anon(157335)

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

Why don't I see this on my iPhone 4? Is it in a different place than you mentioned?

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't have the option under Accessibility turned on. You learn something new every day.

Last edited:

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone. It seems that you can change the vibration patterns, but this does not seem to effect the text message alert!

Sorry, I spoke too soon. The iOS 5 custom vibrations are indeed only for calls, not SMS or other alerts. I can't imagine why they restricted it, but they did.

lenmac08#IM

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I spoke too soon. The iOS 5 custom vibrations are indeed only for calls, not SMS or other alerts. I can't imagine why they restricted it, but they did.

ok-that explains why my custom vibration only works for calls...that's stupid esp since the standard vibration is so weak and barely detectable if the phone is in my pocket. Now I need to figure out why the LED notification alert only works for a day or 2 then shuts itself off...seems like a bug to me.

reflexo

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
It seems strange that none of the phone OSs allow any reasonable customization for vibration, especially for SMS messages. For my Palm Pre+ it required 2 homebrew patches to make it useable as a pager.

CBMem

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Blackberry does. For each event you can specify the length of the vibration, the number of vibrations, and even if it vibrates only when in the holster!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner