Hello all,

I have a couple questions regarding adding a second line to get a new iPhone. My sister has a BB and wants to get an iPhone but is nowhere near her upgrade. I suggested adding a line. Here are my questions:

1. When she goes to move the new iPhone to her number, will any changes be made to her existing contract- most specifically her data plan? She has unlimited now, will the switch force her change to this?

2. Are there any VZW phones that can't be activated on their network? Any phones too old?

Any suggestions, tips, warnings, etc., are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    11-06-2011 11:45 AM
    She can probably add a new basic line, then switch her old number, data plan, etc to the new line, and leave the old line with the basics.
    11-06-2011 01:01 PM
    She can probably add a new basic line, then switch her old number, data plan, etc to the new line, and leave the old line with the basics.
    I'm sure this is doable. I had a friend that worked at Verizon that was able to do pretty much anything. Just don't close the existing line due to cancellation fees. As for the data plan. Just as long as you don't have to sign a new contract. You're golden. If you do. Find a used Iphone and go that route.
    11-06-2011 01:47 PM
    I try adding a line to my acct and was told I can't add the unlimited to that new line.
    11-06-2011 06:16 PM
    Add line buy iPhone have to add 30 data not unlimited because it don't exsist anymore
    Go home but basic phone on new line remove 30 data plan
    Take iPhone add to your current line
    Keeping your current unlimited data ..remember data is feature tied to the line of service not tied to every line on your account
    It works

If you ever cancel that new line you will can etf for a smart phone not a basic phone thats it

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    11-06-2011 07:01 PM
    I'm a little confused about this method...to add a line, isn't it like $9.99/month extra? That would be like $120/year. I don't see how that's beneficial lol. I mean sure, you get the phone cheaper, and it's only $10/month, but that adds up over time lol
    11-06-2011 07:06 PM
    I'm a little confused about this method...to add a line, isn't it like $9.99/month extra? That would be like $120/year. I don't see how that's beneficial lol. I mean sure, you get the phone cheaper, and it's only $10/month, but that adds up over time lol
    It still works out to be cheaper $200 phone $240 for 2 years it's a total of $440. Much cheaper then the $600 retail price. I did this when the 4 came out, and know a lot of people who've done it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    11-06-2011 08:30 PM
    I guess if you want the phone bad enough.
    11-06-2011 08:40 PM
    You still have to sign up for a 2nd data plan at $30/mo. Either that or be charged an ETF for the data plan. So its $40 per month x 48 months plus cost of phone, or $375 etf plus cost of phone and sell the BB.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk
    11-07-2011 06:00 AM
    You still have to sign up for a 2nd data plan at $30/mo. Either that or be charged an ETF for the data plan. So its $40 per month x 48 months plus cost of phone, or $375 etf plus cost of phone and sell the BB.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Truth. I added a line to get a new phone last year but if you have any type of smartphone you have to HAVE to have a data plan tied to each line.
    11-07-2011 08:20 AM
    Thanks everyone for your responses...

My sister was able to do this... Here's what we did... went to the VZW store and added a second line to her account to get the iphone. The rep then put the new iphone on her OLD account and an old samsung flip phone (no data plan necessary) on the NEW line.

The transaction did not change anything about her OLD plan (she still has unlimited data) and the NEW line is NOT under contract because she provided the phone!!!

Yes, it does cost $9.99 a month, but I figure cut out 3 lattes/month at Starbucks and she's got herself a new iphone... for a lot less than retail.
    11-10-2011 12:57 AM
    Did you get the discounted price on the phone? If so "NEW line is NOT under contract" that is incorrect because you signed a contract on that line to get the phone but just put it on her current line.

Which would make zero since if you just bought the phone full retail since same price on full retail either way. That just won't start her current line's contract over because she signed on the new line.
    11-10-2011 02:17 PM
    Did you get the discounted price on the phone? If so "NEW line is NOT under contract" that is incorrect because you signed a contract on that line to get the phone but just put it on her current line.

Which would make zero since if you just bought the phone full retail since same price on full retail either way. That just won't start her current line's contract over because she signed on the new line.
    The new line is under contract and subject to the etf of a smartphone if canceled because that is what phone was used to open the line.. But yes you get the discounted price on the iPhone like the 4s 16 for 199 ...

Remember data is only required if you have a phone that requires it . It is a feature not a PLAN
    Features can be added and removed

11-10-2011 06:28 PM
    Thanks everyone for your responses...

My sister was able to do this... Here's what we did... went to the VZW store and added a second line to her account to get the iphone. The rep then put the new iphone on her OLD account and an old samsung flip phone (no data plan necessary) on the NEW line.

The transaction did not change anything about her OLD plan (she still has unlimited data) and the NEW line is NOT under contract because she provided the phone!!!

Yes, it does cost $9.99 a month, but I figure cut out 3 lattes/month at Starbucks and she's got herself a new iphone... for a lot less than retail.
    Yup done it many times glad it all got figured out most reps know people do this and know what to do ... But there not allowed to suggest it

11-10-2011 06:31 PM
    Yup done it many times glad it all got figured out most reps know people do this and know what to do ... But there not allowed to suggest it

We did it all the time when I was selling phones. Add a line with new equipment. Sign paperwork on new activation, THEN do ESN Swaps...
    11-10-2011 10:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD