Retina display vs. Super AMOLED

dmilleville90

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
So I was talking to an online Verizon Wireless rep and I asked him his opinion on if the retina display is better than the Super AMOLED display and he responded with this

Since I haven't been able to compare them myself, the people I asked are people that have the iPhones and Droid phones and they all agreed that the Super AMOLED Screen was the better screen. The iPhone users wish apple would put them on the iPhones.

What do you iPhone users think about this?

I have an iPhone 4 and I have a friend with a Galaxy SII and although his screen is bigger I think that the retina display is better based on overall looks.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
The Retina display is far nicer. It wins on PPI alone, let alone anything else.

I have owned a few android phones with the SAMOLED displays and hated them. Colors are over blown and look fake. The displays also push blue so they are far cooler/more blue.

Most of them (including the upcoming Nexus Prime) use Pentile displays which (due to the lower pixel count) make text look blurry.

I was playing with a GS2 the other day and it felt like a cheap plastic toy with a giant over saturated display.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
It really depends on personal preference IMO. Those screens on Androids look awesome with great colors and black levels. But then you look up close and stretching resolutions across those huge screens makes it not so great. Hopefully the Galaxy Nexus and Razr will step it up because I think they are supposed to have 720p screens which will best the iPhone finally (raw resolution). That should help make them look pretty sharp.

I had the same feelings about the Galaxy S II that a coworker got over the weekend. Screen is ruined IMO by the low resolution; it's also too big for me as well in general.

sandmanfvr

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
When the bestbuy rep finally handed my activated iphone, I was thinking it was demo unit or something because the display was so clear it looked fake at first; the display is SICK. You can see stuff at almost any angle, the detail and ppi is ridiculous and colors pop. I have held the super amoled phones in my hand, retina display is king hands down

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I think the SGII screen is a lot better than the 4s. It wins mostly on consistency of the wafer quality. Apple is using LG (worst wafer manufacturer) & few others for their lcd... This year i lucked out and ended up with a neutral coloured screen and not the pee yellow i had to endure last year with the ip4.

As far as i know all samsung ones are consistent in terms of lcd shading.

Having said that even after enduring the pee stained screen i would not purchase the android phone of any sort.

The apple screen is fantastic, the gorilla glass somehow makes it look even better than it should... the inconsistency of wafer or not the screen is fantastic.

I am with sandmanfvr about how it looks like a print sometime, i.e when i leave my phone on the desk and look at it in an angle the home screen almost looks like printed out.

I also agree with masterofpuppets about how the colours look fake... this also exist in samsung tvs but you can atleast calibrate them to give a more natural look so not everything looks neony.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
When the bestbuy rep finally handed my activated iphone, I was thinking it was demo unit or something because the display was so clear it looked fake at first; the display is SICK. You can see stuff at almost any angle, the detail and ppi is ridiculous and colors pop. I have held the super amoled phones in my hand, retina display is king hands down

Yea after using the retina display and seeing things so sharp going to anything less is a dramatic drop in quality IMO.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW