Selling iPhone 4 (warranty question)...

Seantm

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello everybody, just want to say first that I love this forum and it's the first place I come to search for any information that I need regarding my iPhone's. With that said, I can't really find the answer to this specific issue. So I bought my iPhone 4 in June of this year and absolutely loved it (long time Blackberry user), but about a month ago the noise cancelling mic went out on it. I had a line on my account that was available to upgrade, so I went ahead and upgraded to the 4S and love it as well. After I got my 4S set up and running, I scheduled to meet with the geniuses at the Apple store and they swapped my 4 no questions asked for what I'm assuming to be a refurbished unit. I don't have any issues with that, but my question is whether or not the factory 1 yr. warranty (that should be in place until June 2012) will be available to the person that I sell the 4 to. I only wonder because the serial number of the phone itself is obviously different from the original equipment that I bought. Thank you to everyone in advance for help.

vangordernick

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I bought an Ipod on Craigslist, and when I took it to the apple store, they swapped it out with no problem because of the dust under the screen, under the sellers warranty. I didn't mention that I bought it second hand, so Im not really sure how that would have worked.

BryanTheRed

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't think they have a way of knowing who purchased the device. I mean if you bought it at Best Buy and took it to Apple for warranty they would have no way of knowing if you originally bought it or if I did and sold it to you. As long as the warranty is still active they will replace/repair your device. I bought a 3GS from my buddy and they did a warranty swap for me.... So, long and short, yes the warranty will still be intact for the next buyer. I just wouldn't walk in the store and tell them I bought it second hand!

Seantm

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Thank you both for the help. I was assuming that the warranty would be good on the device no matter who the owner is, was just wondering how it would work since the actual device was swapped at the Apple store. I guess they would link the new device and its serial number to the warranty. Thanks again.

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
when i swapped my device through warranty at apple, the warranty actually got extended when i looked it up on the new device. not sure why but i certainly won't complain.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
warranty does transfer with Apple. They will tell you they don't care if you are the original owner or not. All they care about is the device is still within the 1 year mark. But yes, they can see who did the initial registration of the device.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro