I want to upgrade iPhone 4 to 4S. Would this maneuver work?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Not true, I believe the $350 only applies to smartphones. If you get a dumb phone (flip phone) then it is only $175. You can run the numbers to see how that will affect you, my head hurts already lol ....

If I understand it correctly, the ETF is based on the phone you purchase to establish the line (or subsequent purchases for that line), NOT the phone in use on that line at the time you cancel. Buying an iPhone 4S to set up another line will set the ETF at $350 (or whatever it is) regardless if you switch to a "beater dumb phone" prior to canceling the line.

Elaine5006

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Better way to do it: Just add a line to your account, get the 4S on it... then, swap the 4S to your present line... and get a junker dumb phone to put on the added line, and toss it in a drawer... never have to use it... then sell the 4... that will cover the cost of the added line.

I recently added a phone to my plan and was told I could not move my phone number from my iphone4 to the new phone.

s54

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Add a line but the 4S $220 plus activation $35 switch it to your line. Cancel second line $350. Total $605. Sell your iPhone $300. Total $305. Less money and less headache then your way, and you get to keep unlimited data. That's what I would/have done.

Or you can pay the $10/mo which over 24 months is only $240 instead of $350. Have done this as well. To get the iPhone 4.

The only problem doing it this way is that when you active the new iPhone 4S on the second line, you will be charged a monthly service fee, since you must pick a service plan at the time of purchase (that is, at the time when you purchase a new iPhone for $200 with a new line).

No?

vangordernick

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, since you can't seem to come to a conclusion that suits you, why not just look on craigslist for a 4s, then sell yours. Thats probably the cheapest route to go. Quite possibly the easiest also.

crackercraig#IM

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Or you could go to AT&T or sprint get the iPhone 4s. Cancel the Verizon contract, and port your # to the new carrier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk on iOS 5.0

jclif

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Heres a very simple way to do it.

-Purchase IP4s by adding a second line to your account.

-When you receive the Iphone 4s, CALL verizon, tell them you'd like to transfer your Iphone 4s to the line that your Iphone 4 is on, They will do this.

-Next, call verizon back, possibly a day or two after, and cancel the second line that your Iphone 4 is now on. With that being done, you can now sell the phone and use the $300 to pay the ETF. And hopefully with verizon you'll have had $70 cut off the EFT.

Does that make sense? I've done it on Verizon, and actually just did it on sprint, but decided to keep the second line. It works, and is really not a huge hassle if you have the ability to pay the ETF then sell the phone.

Good luck, hope that helps.

That might work except Verizon might turn around and not only charge you the ETF but also the difference in price of the iPhone 4s since you did not return it upon cancellation

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Best route just go add a line upgrade your plan to a family share swap the 4s to your current number and put the iPhone 4 on the new number ... Go home get a basic phone go online do a esn change on the new number to get the iPhone 4 off and basic phone on ... The basic phone will cost u 10 bucks a month and you will keep your number you will not have a termination fee and best of all in the future you have 2 upgrades to use :)

10 bucks a month equals 120
iPhone 4s 250 after tax

Sell iPhone 4 300

Out of pocket expense over a year 70 bucks

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

s54

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
This is gonna sound stupid, but I went to the Apple store last night and after playing with the iPhone 4S for some time, I decided to skip it altogether. WTF was I thinking?!

reason: SAME SHIT!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
This is gonna sound stupid, but I went to the Apple store last night and after playing with the iPhone 4S for some time, I decided to skip it altogether. WTF was I thinking?!

Haha made me actually laugh just cause all the math etc that was put In ... It's a case by case it looks the same but the internals are upgraded stuff you don't see

A5 chip
Antennas dual
World phone
1080 hd Vs 720
AirPlay mirroring
Siri
8mp camera vs 5mp

So although it may look the same act the same they are def different

Phil DeLong

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

Kinda sounds like you just decided to back out.

vangordernick

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Haha made me actually laugh just cause all the math etc that was put In ... It's a case by case it looks the same but the internals are upgraded stuff you don't see

A5 chip
Antennas dual
World phone
1080 hd Vs 720
AirPlay mirroring
Siri
8mp camera vs 5mp

So although it may look the same act the same they are def different

While the 4s is awesome, those specs aren't nearly enough to sway an iPhone 4 to 4s upgrade.

Speak

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
While the 4s is awesome, those specs aren't nearly enough to sway an iPhone 4 to 4s upgrade.

Thank you for your commentary relevant to the topic of the post. You are a valued member of a close-knit internet community.

Anyways, with all this ETF math and stuff, one thing that should be considered is, unless with Verizon you already had a $400 deposit when you started your first line, your deposit will most likely go up (to either $125 or $400). Sure, if you pay your bill on time every month, you get that back after 12-16 months, but that's still an aspect of the immediate cost that no one seems to be considering.

If keeping the same phone # is important to you, your better bets are switching service altogether, trading upgrades with someone who is eligible but doesn't feel like spending the money, or starting up the secondary line (canceling it would be advised against because the new line will be $350 ETF, and since you seem to have an affinity to having the newest phones out, you'll end up getting 2 separate upgrade dates in the future to maintain your newest devices down the line.

Good luck!

Eric8199

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm on Verizon as well. If I add another line to get the 4s, switch the 4s to my iPhone 4 line with an esn swap, and then put a feature phone on the line that I added to get the 4s, could i then drop the data plan and only pay an additional $10 a month rather than $50? The wife and I are thinking about getting a phone for her parents and we have an old feature phone we could give them. This could work out perfect for me to get an upgrade.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Verizon as well. If I add another line to get the 4s, switch the 4s to my iPhone 4 line with an esn swap, and then put a feature phone on the line that I added to get the 4s, could i then drop the data plan and only pay an additional $10 a month rather than $50? The wife and I are thinking about getting a phone for her parents and we have an old feature phone we could give them. This could work out perfect for me to get an upgrade.

Yes that will work you will just get prorated for the data say you drop the data on the new line the next day you will pay one days worth of data .. Just remember the etf on that new line reguardless if u put a feature phone will. Be a smart phone termination

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2