I want to upgrade iPhone 4 to 4S. Would this maneuver work?

s54

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I have a verizon iPhone 4, which I bought about a month after it came out. I'd like to upgrade it to iPhone 4S. Don't ask why, I just do.

Obviously, I am not eligible for the $200 iPhone 4S, so one way to get it is to pay the full retail price of $650 + $65 tax = $715 I believe. However, wouldn't it be cheaper to maneuver around a termination fee instead?

Here's what I'm thinking:

(1) Port my current number to Google voice. That way I get to retain it. Cost = $20
(2) At this point, Verizon will slap me with an ETF. Cost = $350
(3) Buy a new iPhone 4S with Verizon and port the number from Google voice. Cost = $200 + $20 tax = $220
(4) Activation fee = $35
(5) Sell old iPhone 4 in excellent condition. The going price seems to be about $300

This comes out to $20 + $350 + $35 + $220 = $625
$625 - $300 = $325 when all is said and done.

Now, obviously I could have just sold the old iPhone for $300 and bought the new one for $715, but that equates to $415, which is quite a bit more than $325.

Is my math correct?

Before anybody asks, I already verified several things:
(1) Everything is 100% legit. No scams or BS. Breaking a contract is part of the process. That's what contracts are for.
(2) There was a rumor floating around that Verizon won't let you create an account for 60 days after terminating a contract. This is 100% false. As long as the termination fee was paid, you can create a new account instantly.

P.S. In the example above, I assume the ETF is $350. However, I read somewhere that it would be less after months into the contract. Is this true?

FrekeyZeeky

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I have a verizon iPhone 4, which I bought about a month after it came out. I'd like to upgrade it to iPhone 4S. Don't ask why, I just do.

Obviously, I am not eligible for the $200 iPhone 4S, so one way to get it is to pay the full retail price of $650 + $65 tax = $715 I believe. However, wouldn't it be cheaper to maneuver around a termination fee instead?

(1) Port my current number to Google voice. That way I get to retain it. Cost = $20
(3) Buy a new iPhone 4S with Verizon and port the number from Google voice. Cost = $200 + $20 tax = $220
(4) Activation fee = $35
(5) Sell old iPhone 4 in excellent condition. The going price seems to be about $300

Now, obviously I could have just sold the old iPhone for $300 and bought the new one for $715, but that equates to $415, which is quite a bit more than $325.

Is my math correct?

(1) Everything is 100% legit. No scams or BS. Breaking a contract is part of the process. That's what contracts are for.
(2) There was a rumor floating around that Verizon won't let you create an account for 60 days after terminating a contract. This is 100% false. As long as the termination fee was paid, you can create a new account instantly.

P.S. In the example above, I assume the ETF is $350. However, I read somewhere that it would be less after months into the contract. Is this true?

I dont see anything wrong with you breaking contract. To me, it doesn't seem like a terrible idea, but keep in mind that you will be stuck in another 2 year contract when the next iphone drops.

The only thing I think you are missing is that the early termination fee is reduced by $10 a month, so you could actually take $70 or so bucks off of your calculation. You also need to remember that if you were grandfathered in on an unlimited plan, you will no longer have that. Being a "new" customer, you will have to go with a tiered data plan.

Just my .02

s54

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I dont see anything wrong with you breaking contract. To me, it doesn't seem like a terrible idea, but keep in mind that you will be stuck in another 2 year contract when the next iphone drops.

The only thing I think you are missing is that the early termination fee is reduced by $10 a month, so you could actually take $70 or so bucks off of your calculation. You also need to remember that if you were grandfathered in on an unlimited plan, you will no longer have that. Being a "new" customer, you will have to go with a tiered data plan.

Just my .02

Excellent points. Thanks.

You're correct about me being stuck in another 2 year contract, but assuming pricing of iPhones stays the same, I can get a new one every year for roughly $50 more than what a new customer pays (assuming I can take $50-70 off the $350 ETF every year).

And like you said, losing unlimited data sucks. However, looking at my VW account, I find that I never use more than 200 MB anyway.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

(4) Activation fee = $35

Is my math correct?

Any Verizon rep at a corporate store should refuse to do as you want as it is creating a situation of FALSE CHURN and that is an act that would get the Rep immediately terminated when discovered.

s54

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Any Verizon rep at a corporate store should refuse to do as you want as it is creating a situation of FALSE CHURN and that is an act that would get the Rep immediately terminated when discovered.

That is not the case at all. Terminating a contract and creating a new one only minutes after is a 100% legit and allowable process. I already verified this.

The only thing limiting me from creating a new contract literally 'minutes' after is the fact that porting your number to google voice takes about 2 days. At the end of the day, Verizon STILL made money on me in the process.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
That is not the case at all. Terminating a contract and creating a new one only minutes after is a 100% legit and allowable process. I already verified this.

The only thing limiting me from creating a new contract literally 'minutes' after is the fact that porting your number to google voice takes about 2 days. At the end of the day, Verizon STILL made money on me in the process.

It's not for the Reps. You are creating false churn, and is viewed as commission fraud, and will get people fired.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
If the ETF is paid, I dont see anything wrong with it. That would be fulfilling the agreement. Just my opinion. But what about just adding a line and then paying EFT on that line a day or 2 after? Then no need to pay porting fees. Seems easier.

s54

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
If the ETF is paid, I dont see anything wrong with it. That would be fulfilling the agreement. Just my opinion. But what about just adding a line and then paying EFT on that line a day or 2 after? Then no need to pay porting fees. Seems easier.

Adding a new line would cost:

$220 for the iPhone 4S
$35 activation fee
$350 (full) termination fee

This equates to $605 - $300 (for my old phone) = roughly $305. HOWEVER, I now lost my number, which I want to desperately retain in the process. Unless of course VW allows you to port a number from one Verizon account to another, which I doubt they do.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

May be fine and dandy on the consumers end, but on the Verizon side, it's false churn - and against policy, and Reps caught doing it will be fired.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

I was going to say the same thing! The only issue is keeping your number. I'm with AT&T and "they" can't transfer the # to the new line. Might be different w/vzw.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
A friend of mine gave his iPhone 4 to someone on Craigslist and he bought the iPhone 4S with their upgrade. Guess they didn't have $230 for a new phone and $100 for 8gb is just dumb. Just thought I'd share this with you. Idea

s54

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
A friend of mine gave his iPhone 4 to someone on Craigslist and he bought the iPhone 4S with their upgrade. Guess they didn't have $230 for a new phone and $100 for 8gb is just dumb. Just thought I'd share this with you. Idea

I'm not sure I follow. Can you explain?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Better way to do it: Just add a line to your account, get the 4S on it... then, swap the 4S to your present line... and get a junker dumb phone to put on the added line, and toss it in a drawer... never have to use it... then sell the 4... that will cover the cost of the added line.

s54

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Better way to do it: Just add a line to your account, get the 4S on it... then, swap the 4S to your present line... and get a junker dumb phone to put on the added line, and toss it in a drawer... never have to use it... then sell the 4... that will cover the cost of the added line.

Umm, but now I'm stuck paying for two accounts?

vangordernick

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Umm, but now I'm stuck paying for two accounts?

Heres a very simple way to do it.

-Purchase IP4s by adding a second line to your account.

-When you receive the Iphone 4s, CALL verizon, tell them you'd like to transfer your Iphone 4s to the line that your Iphone 4 is on, They will do this.

-Next, call verizon back, possibly a day or two after, and cancel the second line that your Iphone 4 is now on. With that being done, you can now sell the phone and use the $300 to pay the ETF. And hopefully with verizon you'll have had $70 cut off the EFT.

Does that make sense? I've done it on Verizon, and actually just did it on sprint, but decided to keep the second line. It works, and is really not a huge hassle if you have the ability to pay the ETF then sell the phone.

Good luck, hope that helps.

s54

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Heres a very simple way to do it.

-Purchase IP4s by adding a second line to your account.

-When you receive the Iphone 4s, CALL verizon, tell them you'd like to transfer your Iphone 4s to the line that your Iphone 4 is on, They will do this.

-Next, call verizon back, possibly a day or two after, and cancel the second line that your Iphone 4 is now on. With that being done, you can now sell the phone and use the $300 to pay the ETF. And hopefully with verizon you'll have had $70 cut off the EFT.

Does that make sense? I've done it on Verizon, and actually just did it on sprint, but decided to keep the second line. It works, and is really not a huge hassle if you have the ability to pay the ETF then sell the phone.

Good luck, hope that helps.

Yes, but if I cancel the second line with the iPhone 4, the termination fee for that line is going to be a full $350 since it's a brand new line. I was under the impression that the $70 off termination fee would only apply to my current account.

FrekeyZeeky

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but if I cancel the second line with the iPhone 4, the termination fee for that line is going to be a full $350 since it's a brand new line. I was under the impression that the $70 off termination fee would only apply to my current account.

Not true, I believe the $350 only applies to smartphones. If you get a dumb phone (flip phone) then it is only $175. You can run the numbers to see how that will affect you, my head hurts already lol ....

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Add a line but the 4S $220 plus activation $35 switch it to your line. Cancel second line $350. Total $605. Sell your iPhone $300. Total $305. Less money and less headache then your way, and you get to keep unlimited data. That's what I would/have done.

Or you can pay the $10/mo which over 24 months is only $240 instead of $350. Have done this as well. To get the iPhone 4.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.794814,-73.917942

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR