when apple replaces your device, do they give you one that is locked to the same carrier or an unlocked one?

the reason i ask is because i recently had a swap done and at no point did i notice them check which carrier i was with. also, if they do repalce it with carrier locked phone, does that mean they hold repalcement iphones for each carrier in stock ?
    Last edited by avmsam; 10-24-2011 at 08:02 PM.
    10-24-2011 07:49 PM
    That's not a problem for the iPhone 4S because there's only one version for all three carriers. I would imagine they won't swap out a carrier iPhone for an unlocked one, just like they won't trade a black iPhone for a white one. Something about different model numbers in the system. Everything has to match up.
    10-24-2011 09:28 PM
    That's not a problem for the iPhone 4S because there's only one version for all three carriers. I would imagine they won't swap out a carrier iPhone for an unlocked one, just like they won't trade a black iPhone for a white one. Something about different model numbers in the system. Everything has to match up.
    yeah, that's what i suspect but i just didn't see them do anything to demonstrate it.

also, i had a 4 swapped but i think the situation is the same for 4S too isn't it? cuz here in Canada the major carriers are all gsm but i'm assuming they will still lock the devices. i'm never sure with apple and their whole cdma/gsm world phone thing. i think they just mean it can do both not that its unlocked. i know you can buy the unlocked iphone4S no contract but i believe the ones on contract are locked.
    Last edited by avmsam; 10-24-2011 at 09:44 PM.
    10-24-2011 09:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD