I have my iphone 4 synced to my work email. It gets a fair amount of volume during the day that isn't urgent and I don't want my phone making a noise/vibrating at every mail. However, when I get an email from a specific email address (my boss) I would like it to make a chirp or vibrate (if in silent mode) so I can respond to them right away.

Anyone know of any apps I can setup to do this or can I do it with just mail?

Thanks...
    10-18-2011 06:13 AM
    You can do it with texts, but not email. You might be able to assign custom email notifications with a jailbreak app.
    10-18-2011 06:46 AM
    I have my iphone 4 synced to my work email. It gets a fair amount of volume during the day that isn't urgent and I don't want my phone making a noise/vibrating at every mail. However, when I get an email from a specific email address (my boss) I would like it to make a chirp or vibrate (if in silent mode) so I can respond to them right away.

Anyone know of any apps I can setup to do this or can I do it with just mail?

Thanks...
    You can download mail tones from the app store
    10-18-2011 09:49 AM
    You can download mail tones from the app store
    MailTones works great - I've been using it for over a year. But there is one downside - security. In order for it to work, you have to set it up to auto-forward your email to MailTones' servers. There they receive the email, trigger the alert and send the email back to you.

In my case, it's not an issue because I use it for my pager at work - and the message just contains a problem ticket number, an 8 digit number that means nothing to the average person. When I get the alert, I log into the problem system at work and access the ticket number that I was sent.

But if your emails contain any kind of sensitive information, it may not be a wise choice. I have never had an issue with anything being shared by them, but you never know. And again, in my case, all they have is an 8-digit number with no context.
    10-18-2011 10:17 AM
    MailTones works great - I've been using it for over a year. But there is one downside - security. In order for it to work, you have to set it up to auto-forward your email to MailTones' servers. There they receive the email, trigger the alert and send the email back to you.

In my case, it's not an issue because I use it for my pager at work - and the message just contains a problem ticket number, an 8 digit number that means nothing to the average person. When I get the alert, I log into the problem system at work and access the ticket number that I was sent.

But if your emails contain any kind of sensitive information, it may not be a wise choice. I have never had an issue with anything being shared by them, but you never know. And again, in my case, all they have is an 8-digit number with no context.
    See I told ya
    10-18-2011 03:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD