Just purchased "lost" Verizon iPhone 4. How can I get it activated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbarbillon

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Just purchased "lost" Verizon iPhone 4. How can I get it activated-ANYONE PLEASE HELP

My mistake I bought a iPhone 4 from a friend of a friend type deal. I should have checked to see if it was able to be activated, but I did not. I'm in a tough boat seeing how as I brought it to Verizon with a smile as of a kid in a candy store....sadly the lady told me that she would not be able to switch my blackberry to the new iPhone 4 that I brought into there because it was reported as "lost." Someone that's "hooked up in Verizon" please help?

Thanks,

Jerry

Last edited:

Skier1960

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Lost

My mistake I bought a iPhone 4 from a friend of a friend type deal. I should have checked to see if it was able to be activated, but I did not. I'm in a tough boat seeing how as I brought it to Verizon with a smile as of a kid in a candy store....sadly the lady told me that she would not be able to switch my blackberry to the new iPhone 4 that I brought into there because it was reported as "lost." Someone that's "hooked up in Verizon" please help?

Thanks,

Jerry

If it's reported as lost, then they know who lost it. Then they will return to the owner. If it is not returned , then it changes from lost to stolen. Maybe I missunderstood your post?????

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Once a phone on Verizon or Sprint is reported as either lost or stolen (they don't differentiate the two), then they block the IMEI and do not allow it to be activated. Ever. There is no changing it.

jbarbillon

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
No. No misunderstandings. What happened was I bought the phone from a friend. When I went to Verizon to activate it she said that it was reported "lost." I don't know if she marked it stolen or not. I just paid 150 for it. My friend just left for boot camp, I don't know who to ask to get it not flagged as "lost." I guess as long as it is "lost" I can't get it activated. I looked into the phones general settings information, it says "my number." Should I call the number and see what happens? Or does that just set myself up to look stupid seeing as they would look at me red handed for "stealing" the phone.

jbarbillon

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Resetting imei

Once a phone on Verizon or Sprint is reported as either lost or stolen (they don't differentiate the two), then they block the IMEI and do not allow it to be activated. Ever. There is no changing it.

So even if I do track down the original owner there is no way to get them to say it is not stolen and get it activated? One of my friends said that the only way that they can do that is if its a recorded conversation through customer service somehow....please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

Keen

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
So even if I do track down the original owner there is no way to get them to say it is not stolen and get it activated? One of my friends said that the only way that they can do that is if its a recorded conversation through customer service somehow....please correct me if I am wrong.

At least for sprint, the original owner can call the carrier and unflag it as lost or stolen. They will need account information to verify the original owner.

jbarbillon

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
At least for sprint, the original owner can call the carrier and unflag it as lost or stolen. They will need account information to verify the original owner.

Ok so i'm pretty much sol 200 in the hole with a useless phone...? No way I can change the mei number or whatever it is called??

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Why don't you try to find the original owner and give it back to them. CRAZY concept, I know! Then go after your "friend" for the $$. I realize he is away but there is still email, etc.

jbarbillon

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you try to find the original owner and give it back to them. CRAZY concept, I know! Then go after your "friend" for the $$. I realize he is away but there is still email, etc.
Mann I would if I could believe me! I just thought it was such a good deal-he said he could use the extra cash and i'm always willing to help a friend out. But look what cha get for doing something you thought was a good deal. Some bs dude.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Any way I can list it as a bad esn on Ebay or something see if someone wants to buy it and flash it to diff company?

No. You already know that the phone belongs to someone on Verizon. The right thing to do is to go to a Verizon store and turn it in, Verizon will know who it belongs to and how to get it back to them.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

IAmSixNine

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Try CraigsList.
Since its Verizon, i am sure someone has found a way to flash it to work with Metro. There are plenty of people out there who want an iPhone on MetroPCS. You might be able to at least get your money back.

Since the device will be re-flashed it doesnt matter if its been flagged as lost/stolen on Verizon since the ESN will be added to Metros network.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Return it. Do the right thing. Call the "My Number" that's listed in Settings and talk to the rightful owner. Yes it stinks that you're out $150, but it's better than jail time; which is a real possibility if the rightful owner is so inclined as to press charges (receiving stolen property, even if you bought it, is a crime).

Tampering with the ESN is 100% illegal, and even if you could do it, it wouldn't work.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Do the right thing. It would be different if you hadn't found out that it was lost or stolen. But now that you know, you are responsible to do the right thing.

Turn the situation around - how would you like it if someone "lost" or stole your phone and then sold it? What would you think of the thief/finder and the person that he sold it to?

Man up, do the right thing.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
To the "Return it" Crowd:

If the Original owner of the phone made an insurance claim, the phone should go to the insurance company that covered the original loss/theft. If the Original Owner paid cash for the replacement, and for the original phone, then by all means, it should go back to the original owner. Once it's back in the original owner's hands, they (meaning Verizon) can (not that they will...) take the phone out of their DENY system. Or once in the Insurance Company's hands, they can refurb it, and get it off the DENY system, and use as they see fit.

To the Original Poster of the thread: Get your money back from the person that sold you the phone... and consider it a lesson learned.

Fuzzballz

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
You can sell it for parts, I don't see why not. The original owner probably has no interest in at all anymore unless it was lost a very short time ago.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Justifying keeping this device based on ignorance at the time of purchase or speculation on whether or not the owner wants it back or has made an insurance claim is pitiful. Where is your moral compass...

FayethM

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
It would be awesome if the right thing was done! Being on the other side of the story kinda sucks too. My son had his iPhone 4 stolen two days after getting it. He now uses an old phone with a cracked screen because I cannot afford to buy another data phone much less an iPhone 4... It was an early Christmas present for my son. I would be happy if someone returned it to me. But I am sure I will never see it again. By the way it is also on the lost/stolen registry. Please if you have not already, do the right thing. Return it to the rightful owner. I know it does not seem fair but as the old saying goes "two wrongs do not make a right." If you do the right thing I believe good things will happen in return weather directly or indirectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.