Generic charger hurting my iPhone?

puja_g

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I recently switched from an HTC Inspire to the iPhone 4, needless to say, I'm quite happy with it.

I felt like I needed a longer sync/charge cable, so I bought a KHOMO branded 10ft cable.. But I feel as if my phone doesn't work as good? Like when trying to answer a message it takes me multiple tries to unlock the phone... Could the charger be making my phone not work as good as it should?

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question or has been asked before

kikideath

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not familiar with the KHOMO brand, but as it was said I would stick with Apple branded accessories if possible. I do know that apple sells a 10 foot third party cable at the Apple Store, so at least it's one they would deem up to their standards.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
They might possibly be hurting your idevice. But generic chargers tend to just not be as strong as Apple or name brand chargers. Its the amps is what charges it. Apple,Griffin,etc are great brands and high quality. I wouldn't worry about it. The generic chargers tend to just be weaker with less amps and charge slower.

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I had some generic car charger, and it ended up somehow tinkering with my 30 pin connection, making me have to take my phone back to Apple and have them replace it. They specifically told me that it was the connection I was using.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I recently switched from an HTC Inspire to the iPhone 4, needless to say, I'm quite happy with it.

I felt like I needed a longer sync/charge cable, so I bought a KHOMO branded 10ft cable.. But I feel as if my phone doesn't work as good? Like when trying to answer a message it takes me multiple tries to unlock the phone... Could the charger be making my phone not work as good as it should?

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question or has been asked before

The charger will not cause that, that is a bug in iOS 4.3.x which I also have. As long as it's outputting the same power as the Apple charger it is fine. You could just get a USB extension cable.

Reactions: puja_g

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a cheap 6 foot cable i got at amazon that i use with the standard apple adapter, and have no charging issues. The only problem i've seen with it is that it is less well built, but in term of how it charges it's fine. I doubt that what sounds like a software issue is caused by a charger.