how to synch different stuff to different computers

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi Everyone:

First off ,let me start by saying i am new to the Forums. I am looking to upgrade my Blackberry Bold to the Iphone 4S. I am looking to have 1 smartphone for personal and business.

I currently have one ITunes library at home on a Windows laptop that is shared by my IPAD, my old ipod, my daughters Itouch and my wife's nano. We have seperate playlists, etc.

I am a solo attorney and at work I sych my Blackberry Bold to outlook for contacts, calendar, task and mail. I currently have a Windows PC which is not on a server.

What are the options if any to sych my media (music, movies, photo and video) to my home windows laptop and at the same time synch my calendar, contacts, etc to my office computer?

In order to purchase, the iphone, this has to work.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Hi Everyone:

First off ,let me start by saying i am new to the Forums. I am looking to upgrade my Blackberry Bold to the Iphone 4S. I am looking to have 1 smartphone for personal and business.

I currently have one ITunes library at home on a Windows laptop that is shared by my IPAD, my old ipod, my daughters Itouch and my wife's nano. We have seperate playlists, etc.

I am a solo attorney and at work I sych my Blackberry Bold to outlook for contacts, calendar, task and mail. I currently have a Windows PC which is not on a server.

What are the options if any to sych my media (music, movies, photo and video) to my home windows laptop and at the same time synch my calendar, contacts, etc to my office computer?

How are you doing this? Blackberry desktop manager? Or over the air via the email provider?

You'll be able to sync the media fine off the home computer, and set it up not to sync anything to do with your email, etc.

What I'm doing is using my Apple - me.com account to sync contacts, etc... my computer syncs to that, and my iPhone & iPad sync to that as well so changes on one get pushed to others automatically. This will migrate to iCloud next week... I hope :) - so my iTunes media all comes from my computer, and I've set up iTunes such that mail, etc. does not sync, because I'm doing it over the air to me.com
Blackberry desktop manager.

Last edited by a moderator:

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi Everyone:

I'd suggest that you use an exchange account to sync calendar, mail, contacts & tasks...this should solve your issue with multiple machines...then you can still use the home machine to sync media.

kikideath

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
What big9erfan is probably your best (and easiest) option. However, if you just need to sync music with your home computer then you can set it up to manually manage music, then simply drag and drop from within iTunes. It's not as nice of an option though because you can't just tell it to automatically sync, but it's better than nothing.

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
What big9erfan is probably your best (and easiest) option. However, if you just need to sync music with your home computer then you can set it up to manually manage music, then simply drag and drop from within iTunes. It's not as nice of an option though because you can't just tell it to automatically sync, but it's better than nothing.

Thanks for confirming manually synching is possible. That is what someone at Applecare suggested but was contradictory to what was previously said at the AppleStore. The applestore staff said the only way to accomplish this is if I have an Exchange account.

I understand there are some other benefits to Microsoft Exchange.

Can you or someone advise how to set up an exchange account? Someone off these forums said I have to find a service to "host" an exchange account. Who would you recommend to do this? How much do they charge to host?

Thanks for your assistance.

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
An update-AppleCare reps are not making sense. Suggesting icloud

2 AppleCare reps., I spoke with today are not making sense to me.

A rep earlier in the week said that I could in fact synch my new iphone to outlook on my office computer for contacts, calendar, tasks and memo and synch to my shared family itunes library just for media( music, pics, video, movies, etc,) without using exchange.. It was explained that I should disable autosynch on both computers. This seemed consistent with some answers some folks gave in this thread and 2 articles in apple support communities and .
See the following links in Apple support: https://discussions.apple.com/message/10039094#10039094
https://discussions.apple.com/message/11218798#11218798

However, I spoke with different reps today regarding updating ios5 to my home computer and cloud. We discussed this issue again and they had a different take. They said yes, set up manual synch with office computer via outlook (windows xp)
but the phone can be set up so that it synchs the media on the home computer (different library from my office) via the cloud and that I can upload calendar, contacts, etc that are being synched on the office computer via outlook from the phone to the cloud so that it will be pushed to my ipad. ( I will no longer use itunes on the phone and ipad at least with the home library).

They claim that when I get the phone they will help me do this! Does this make sense?

cdbeshore

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I have mine set up to sync photos, contacts and apps on one Mac with music and video coming from the other. You have to sync with one, disconnect and sync the other stuff with the other. It shouldn't delete what you have on there. I have email with gmail for work and home, so that isn't a problem. It works pretty well, but I have to be sure to uncheck photos and choose to keep them after syncing with the photos computer. Otherwise, it will sync with the photos on the other machine.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen