Siri on iPhone 4

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I think the point people are trying to make is that just because a company says something is only available on a specific product, doesn't mean others might not try to find a way around it. We can't forget that features very similar to what iOS 5 is offering have been available to the jailbreak community for a long time now.

You can wish in one hand, and want Siri to work on an iP4 in the other - and all you're gonna end up with is a hand full of wish.

I've done some research into this - and as has been noted above, some in the JB community have indeed tried to force Siri onto an iP4. Guess what... it doesn't work. Sometimes, they say something is only available on a specific product because that's the way it is.

trentandrews

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Well Siri must, Becuase I used to have an original droid and it could run the voice commands well, so I do not see why you need an iPhone 4S.

Genericmessage00

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Only works on iphone 4s, it needs 1gb of ram.

Maybe with the iPhone 5 (ya know, the thing everyone was wishing for?)

Several reports are indicating it only has 512mb

That'd be the same as the iPhone 4

Can we please put this to rest?

They need every hook they can get to have people buy the 4s, and siri is one of those hooks.
They'll keep it exclusive to the 4s SO THEY CAN SELL IT!

It's a marketing move, not a hardware limitation.

Please don't forget it used to be available right on the app store. (as some smart people before me have mentioned)

iamjose

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't really care that it is built into the iPhone 4s... I just think the original app should be left alone. I mean there were several things you couldn't do on the Siri app that I'm sure you could do on the iPhone 4s built in feature, in order to maintain some level of exclusivity.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.104322,-117.740323
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
You can wish in one hand, and want Siri to work on an iP4 in the other - and all you're gonna end up with is a hand full of wish.

I've done some research into this - and as has been noted above, some in the JB community have indeed tried to force Siri onto an iP4. Guess what... it doesn't work. Sometimes, they say something is only available on a specific product because that's the way it is.

You don't honestly believe this, do you? It CAN be done, I am sure of this. Like others above have already said, this is just Apple trying to sell the iPhone 4 again by adding an "S" to the name. Android has had excellent voice actions/dictation for a while now, and it doesn't require 1gb ram or an A5 processor, my evo was doing it just fine a year and a half ago.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Did you ever RUN the old Siri app on the current hardware? It was not more than a technology demonstration, be was clearly a stripped down version.

The developer is on record stating that the 4S is the first hardware capable of running the app.

Why do you guys insist in seeing conspiracy and evil in the world? Your lives must be very sad indeed

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
... And your Evo was NOT running Siri Assistant, an artificial intelligence natural language processor.

Voice control has been around for a decade. This is not simple voice command.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Did you ever RUN the old Siri app on the current hardware? It was not more than a technology demonstration, be was clearly a stripped down version.

The developer is on record stating that the 4S is the first hardware capable of running the app.

Why do you guys insist in seeing conspiracy and evil in the world? Your lives must be very sad indeed

Did 'they' send you?
:p :p :p

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Siri really sold me on the new iPhone. Without it, I'm not sure I'd have been so quick jumping to want to ditch my iPhone 4 for the 4S. I do wish we had more independent reviews of the device, though, to make more decisions from - though I'm sure it's pretty sweet.

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

Not seeding conspiracy, I just do not believe that the 4s is the only hardware capable of running such software. There is more to the Siri features than the personal assistant, which I think is kinda neat, but probably won't get used by 90% of iPhone owners. The other part of siri, which was only briefly touched on and is in beta is the dictation. This is what most iPhone users would use, while driving etc. this is something that my evo did really well, and I think should be offered to all iPhone users.

I cannot vouch for the technical specs required for the personal assistant, but I am sure that most would really appreciate that little microphone button on their keyboard and would use it regularly, I know that I would.

Last edited:

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
The guy who wrote the software says differently, and I believe him over you. Sorry.

For the record, I am sure he is correct in saying that in it's current form, the assistant feature could not run on ip4 (I am not a developer, so what the hell do I know anyway?). I am very confident, however, that the dictation feature (most useful IMO) could certainly work even on the iphone 3GS.... Lets see what the jailbreakers come up with.

gthugballin

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The guy who wrote the software says differently, and I believe him over you. Sorry.

Who is this guy? And when did he say it... source please? (and don't say apple keynote because they said that the 3gs couldn't have HDR and it can via jailbreak)

I believe SIRI will be available on the iPhone 4. To me its just a matter of how hard will it be for the jail breakers to port and will they put fourth the effort.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

You don't honestly believe this, do you? It CAN be done, I am sure of this. Like others above have already said, this is just Apple trying to sell the iPhone 4 again by adding an "S" to the name. Android has had excellent voice actions/dictation for a while now, and it doesn't require 1gb ram or an A5 processor, my evo was doing it just fine a year and a half ago.

I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't believe it... smh.

Can it be done? Maybe. Point is, it's NOT being done. SIRI is being written specifically for the 4S hardware profile. Get over it. And if you're Evo is/was so great, why are you here?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73