Siri on iPhone 4

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I just read an article where two known jailbreakers looked into it.
(iH8snow and someone else).
They say it will not work on the iP4.

rdrum

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
My understanding is that Siri will be in beta for the 4S and will not work for the 4. To my knowledge, Apple hasn't said that Siri will not be available for the 4 once it comes out of beta.

I hope it eventually works on the 4, since it's a really cool feature, but it's not enough to make me want to upgrade to the 4S right away. I'll wait, and if it means waiting out my contract until the actual 5 comes out and not having Siri, then so be it.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I still have the Siri app and it no longer works. It comes back and tells you "Retrieval Failed" Siri could not download the required information from the server.

So my guess is its only going to be iPhone4s :(

Dan@

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
So it did work on the iphone 4 when it was an app, and now it doesn't? That just doesn't seem right. I would like to try it, but i'm not near an upgrade time yet.

phantograms

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
according to ih8sn0w, and his screenshots, the "groundwork" for Siri exists on his iPod Touch he's using as a demo, but until the 4S software is released, they won't know if they'll be able to move the app's files to units other than the 4S to determine if its really a matter of hardware or software.

fingers crossed!

dmstrom

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I doubt that the lack of Siri on the iPhone 4 is really a hardware issue. It is probably a product differentiator for the 4S. That is only a guess.

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, Siri is the only thing available on the iPhone 4s that I'm semi-interested in using. But, it's cool to know there are other apps really similar to it. Thanks for the suggestions!

dondondon

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Dragon Go seems to work well on my iPhone 4.

However, any non-iPhone 4S will suffer because Siri is activated but the home button, whereas any app has to be actually running.

Phil DeLong

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
If there's a way, I have no doubt that the jailbreaking people will find it. And if it's possible cool, I'm just still too paranoid to actually try jailbreaking my phone haha. I just had to get a replacement for another issue so I just don't want to push my luck. Having to go without the iPhone for a few days was not fun.

Phil DeLong

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
The keynote pitched Siri as a iPhone 4S feature only.

I think the point people are trying to make is that just because a company says something is only available on a specific product, doesn't mean others might not try to find a way around it. We can't forget that features very similar to what iOS 5 is offering have been available to the jailbreak community for a long time now.

Freiteez

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I think it'll be like when the 3GS came out. 3G didn't get multitasking. But when jailbreaking the 3G you could add that and folders. Multitasking on the 3G ran pretty sluggish though so if they get Siri to work on the 4 I'm afraid it'll be sluggish and not work exactly how it's meant to be.

Phil DeLong

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I think it'll be like when the 3GS came out. 3G didn't get multitasking. But when jailbreaking the 3G you could add that and folders. Multitasking on the 3G ran pretty sluggish though so if they get Siri to work on the 4 I'm afraid it'll be sluggish and not work exactly how it's meant to be.

That would be one of my biggest fears as well. I guess my belief has always been just because something can be done, doesn't mean it will work just as well. If someone really wanted Siri though, I imagine sluggish performance won't matter to them as much as it would me but I guess time will have to tell.

paul-c

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough, I just don't see Siri being possible on the iPhone 4 that's all. Really cool things happen with the jailbreaking though for sure.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice