How come some other chargers that are non apple chargers charge your phone slower than the charger that comes with your iPhone?
    10-01-2011 04:12 PM
    They have a lower amperage output than the Apple chargers. An Apple iPad charger will juice up a phone faster than the Apple iPhone charger... same reason.
    10-01-2011 04:15 PM
    They have a lower amperage output than the Apple chargers. An Apple iPad charger will juice up a phone faster than the Apple iPhone charger... same reason.
    And the Apple store website lists both the iPhone (5W) charger and the iPad (10W) charger as compatible with all iPhones and iPods. Obviously the iPod/iPhone (5W) chargers are plug compatible with the iPad, but they don't push enough amperage to charge the iPads.
    10-01-2011 04:40 PM
    I have a couple of Belkin chargers which have thicker diameter USB cords than the OEM, and they seem to charge a little faster, like kch said.
    10-02-2011 09:59 AM
    So do most of you guys use the iPad charger to charge your phone or the iPhone charger it came with? Also, how about an ihome? Would that charge your phone faster than an iPhone/iPad charger?
    10-02-2011 05:24 PM
    There are extensive discussions elsewhere in the forum about chargers that one could review for pros/cons of what chargers folks use... iHome stuff... how fast they charge depends on the amperage they provide out the dock port - their web site doesn't specify, but any of their devices they specify as being capable of charging an iPad will likely be no slower than a stock iPhone charger - I'm just guessing.
    10-02-2011 05:34 PM
    I have an iPod/iPhone charger on my nightstand that I use to charge it every night. I also have an iPad charger at my desk and I use it on occasion, if needed.
    10-02-2011 05:35 PM
    So what makes the amperage bigger (faster charging) the charging cord/cable or the piece that goes into the wall?
    10-03-2011 10:18 AM
    So what makes the amperage bigger (faster charging) the charging cord/cable or the piece that goes into the wall?
    It's the power supply/converter that goes into the wall (or, the plug that goes into the car power port).
    10-03-2011 10:39 AM
    so the cord has nothing to do with it?
    10-03-2011 07:13 PM
    It may be the placebo effect, but I've def noticed that OEM chargers/cords work best. I got some cheap cords from eBay, 4 for $3, and they all charge but very very slow. I also have a 10ft cable, it charges but also very slow. All of those are plugged into the same Apple OEM wall charger, all I do is switch the cords. But when I use the OEM Apple cord, it seems to charge faster. The only thing I have that's third party that charges faster than the OEM charger/cord is my car charger I ordered from Amazon:

Amazon.com: Xentris 31-1073-01-XE Wireless Vehicle Charger - Car Charger - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

That car charger is really fast. Gives me about 3% battery life per minute. That's fast to me.
    10-04-2011 03:22 AM
    so i just purchased a ihome that is capable of charging iphone,ipads,ipods ect. the amperage has to be large and fast then for the device to be charging ipads as well correct?
    10-07-2011 02:36 PM
    I would definitely avoid off branded chargers and cables (those $3 ones from chinese websites) simply because they probably aren't made with reliable materials which could eventually damage your device. Well known brands like iHome are probably okay, but I tend to stick with Apple branded accessories to be on the safe side.
    10-10-2011 12:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD